Warn your elderly relatives about this scam

IsisAnalysis

~fish ~fowl ~good red herring
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still a little shaky. I just got off the phone with my sister-in-law's mother-in-law, who was extremely worried because she had received a couple of phone calls that her grandson, our nephew, was in jail in Mexico City for drunk driving and needed bail money.

She acted pretty smart. After the first call she called the American consulate in Mexico City to ask for verification and my nephew's college to ask them to verify that he was there. She got a second call, allegedly from my nephew, and when she told him she was waiting for verification, he hung up. Then she called us, because she couldn't get ahold of the boy's mother.

We had heard of this scam before, people calling older people and claiming to be relatives in trouble, in Mexico City or London usually, and asking for money to be wired. So I reassured her right away that that's probably what this was.

While we were talking, my (real) nephew called her on the other line and confirmed he was in California and still didn't know how to drive.

So yeah, it was a scam, and no, she didn't get taken in. Phew.

But watch out for this. Scammers will call up people with old-fashioned names, figuring they're likely to be older, with young relatives they care about but maybe aren't in constant touch with, and fool them into wiring money into foreign countries. Be aware that scammers are doing this.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They have been busy lately. There was a recent report on the local news here in Phoenix of an elderly man who was scammed out of $6000. There are probably at least a dozen more who are too embarrassed to come forward for every one who reports it. I spoke with my Dad about it. He's 86 and lives with us. He laughed and said he doubted if any of the grandkids would know the phone number without asking their Dad, my brother.

Dad got an email about 6-8 months ago that was supposedly from one of his friends. The story was that his pocket had been picked in London and he needed money to get back to the States. This guy is as old as Dad, and would be highly unlikely to be traveling anywhere, much less Europe.

MM

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
There was another post about this from another member on here, wasn't there?

There was...

but the OP is in a Mexican Jail waiting for bail money...

Please wire me, or SK, any discretionary funds as we're trying to pool resources to get him out quicker.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this scam is working all over the US. Seniors raised in a time when the basic assumption was that people are honest seem especially vulnerable. They, and all of us, need to be reminded that you never send money or give credit card or other information to anyone on the phone. You check independently, using phone numbers you look up yourself, whether the crisis is real.

It infuriates me when the elderly are scammed. I hope they find these people, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, and their jail time is hard.

Maryn, disgusted

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing Maryn's comments, but good on your in-law who was sharp enough to follow up.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it is because the elderly believe people are more honest (my gradfather was sharp as a tack when it came to people conning him and he would have checked same as above - though I guess there are some who fall for it) but rather not being aware of how much damage even a small amount of personal data can be. I mean these scammers clearly knew she had a nephew, what his name was and so on. If it were me I might have said something about a member of the family who did not exist and see how they reacted...

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
This scam is old and horrible. The good news is that people, even our elderly, are coming more aware of these stupid scams. So glad your friend did not fall prey to such a scam.