Hardest Question to Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
As a writer, what's the hardest question you've been asked?

For me it's: Where do you get your ideas?

You? (and don't say it's "what's the hardest question," smartass)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

Exactly this. I never know what to say, even though I've had to answer it a bazillion times.

Sometimes I wish I was more of a smart-ass and could pull off a response like, "I got my latest book idea at a two-for-one sale at Kmart." But my comedic timing stinks.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There really isn't a clever way to say "I just make shit up," is there? Cause that's what I do. I just make stuff up.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
There really isn't a clever way to say "I just make shit up," is there? Cause that's what I do. I just make stuff up.

I pluck them, like grapes, from the Aether of the collective soul.

Say something like that, and people will never ask you again. Ever.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The ones at Walmart are discounted knockoffs. ;)

The hardest question for me isn't one I've been asked, but one I ask myself: How do I know if I'm any good?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I haven't checked at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure they have great prices on ideas.

Costco is fantastic too, especially if you need to buy ideas in bulk. They have great quality for the price.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
The hardest question I get is: What's wrong with you?

Which leads to the second hardest question: Where do I start?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"What's your book about?" Definitely the hardest, and I usually don't even answer it, except to give the genre.

Where do you get your ideas is easy. I just tell them I get all my ideas from Pro Writer's Idea Magazine. I explain that once you have two novel sales to large publishers, or twelve short story sales to national magazines, you're eligible to receive a subscription, which, at $400 per year, is dreadfully expensive, but well worth the cost because, each month, it contains more than a hundred ideas, along with a mini-outline of how the story might best be written. The ideas and mini-outlines are all written by bestselling writers, and having a subscription to Pro Writer's Idea Magazine gives any writer a HUGE advantage over new writers.

This, of course, is one reason many new writers have trouble breaking in, but we had to earn our way to a subscription, and so should everyone else.

It's amazing how mad many new writers get up hearing about Pro Writer's Idea Magazine, and their ineligibility.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't think I've had any hard questions, but I have had the standard ones that leave me biting my tongue.

"Why don't you try self-publishing?"

Because I'd like to make a living at this. Failing that, I'd like to make enough money to go down the pub.

"When can I read your book?"

Gee, I don't know. Maybe if I ever get published.

"Why do you write horror?"

:censored off.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Costco is fantastic too, especially if you need to buy ideas in bulk. They have great quality for the price.

I hear they're a dime a dozen there.

I get asked, by friends and family, "Are you going to write a book about me?"

Then I wince. Because the answer is "No," which elicits either resentment or suspicion.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
As a writer, what's the hardest question you've been asked?

You? (and don't say it's "what's the hardest question," smartass)

nobody knows I write, the very close handful that do don't bother to ask. I'm honestly not sure I have had any hard questions from folks who know I write....

as for the ideas thing, "thin air" works for me, and is probably as honest as anything else you might say.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
What's the book about?

Now, I can do this in a query or synopsis no problem, but ask me in person and I feel the blood rising to my cheeks.

I have a hard time with that one, too. I can write out the answer, but in person it tends to become "It's, um...fantasy." don'taskanythingelsedon'taskanythingelse

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
What's the book about?

Now, I can do this in a query or synopsis no problem, but ask me in person and I feel the blood rising to my cheeks.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one with this issue. I've been kind of embarrassed about it, because it's seemingly pretty basic, and it might come in handy one day to have a solid elevator pitch.

Last weekend I was asked the question, and I ventured out further in the pitch than I ever have before. I thought I had pulled it off, but then the guy said 'Good for you. Not many people actually write a book.' and he got out his cell phone to text someone. I guess it wasn't as good as I thought. Oh, and then my husband suggested the guy could beta read for me! Grrr.

Reaction score
"So, what do you write, then?"

I'm not ashamed of my genre. I'm sick of the nudge-nudge-wink-wink reactions I always get. I'm especially fond of men who ask "Need any help with research?"

/sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.