Kindle publishing and short stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I have a short story that was published in a print journal last year, but for which I still hold all the rights. I decided to play with Kindle publishing a bit and I uploaded it. The lowest amount it will let me charge is $2.99. In my opinion, that's too much for a short story. I'd rather charge $.99. Is there a better Kindle solution for short stories? I submitted to Kindle Shorts, which allows lower prices, but that's a little different. There is an acceptance process. I haven't heard back yet.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I've put up some of my short story reprints for $0.99 with the longest one set at $1.99 (although it's taking forever for the price change to kick in, thank you Amazon!)

Sales are about five or so a month over four titles but then I didn't expect much from them.

The problem you're having is that you're trying to get the 70% royalty which is why you can't charge less than $2.99. Drop the royalty rate down to 35% and you'll get to price it at $0.99.

Good luck!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sheryl! I'll give that a try. I really don't expect much at all, but it beats keeping on my hard drive and it's kind of fun to give it a try. I'm waiting for an edited version to get approval before I can change anything. I have to upload the cover, too, (designed in a day by my sister-in-law) and then I'll change the royalties. I'll check yours out.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Thanks Sheryl! I'll give that a try. I really don't expect much at all, but it beats keeping on my hard drive and it's kind of fun to give it a try. I'm waiting for an edited version to get approval before I can change anything. I have to upload the cover, too, (designed in a day by my sister-in-law) and then I'll change the royalties. I'll check yours out.

It's really easy to work through the system, more so for short stories because you can read it through before releasing it to make sure the formatting is correct.

But, again, don't expect much in the way of actual money. My best seller is "The Project" which was originally published in GRIT Magazine years ago and that's only sold about ten-plus copies. At thirty-five cents each that's not going to pay for dinner, but it's good to get it back out there for those who want some cheap short stories.

:)

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
It took several days because I didn't realize it would have to go through the review process for each and every change I made, but I finally got it up at the right price. I'll have it up on B&N by Monday. I don't expect to earn much of anything, especially since I'm giving my SIL one-quarter of the profits for the cover art, but it might be enough to buy a cheap beer somewhere down the line. That's again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.