OFFER OF REP!!!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so speechless. I can barely function today. My writing partner and I received an offer of representation from an agent, and have THE CALL today!!!!

Help me! What do I ask? Where's that nifty list of questions? I have to track it down on AW.

What do we tell the agent since the MS is out with several other agents? We want to be fair to everyone reading.

Oh, and finally, SQUEEEEEE!!!

Special THANK YOU to the Pitizens for letting me rant and wallow, and to the Purgies for all the vamp dust!!!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAAAHHHHHHH! I'm so happy for you, Snappy! Rep me the details or else!!!!!

(Don't let the hellhounds see you! Run! Run!)

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
SNAPPY!!!!!!! GOOD NEWS JUST KEEPS COMING!
um just try to breathe- i always forget that...

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
OMG SNAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rep me who please

I'M OVER THE MOON FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:
:e2woo::e2cloud9::e2woo::e2cloud9: :e2woo::e2cloud9:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Huge congrats Snappy! I linger on the Purgie thread and silently root for all of you from the sidelines :). So happy for you!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy!!! Excellent news!

Agent Rachelle Gardner has several great blog posts on agents, including one on questions to ask: http://www.rachellegardner.com/2010/08/what-to-ask-an-agent/ (and use the tag "Agents" to see other possibly helpful posts http://www.rachellegardner.com/ )

Here's an interesting list by an author - not sure I'd ask all of them, but they might help you two think about what you want to ask: http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/15-FC-SusanKearney.html

I'd ask about communications preferences, and expectations of you two.

I'd ask about how the agent/agency handles foreign and sub rights, and their approach to them.

I'd ask about how the agent would pitch the book, and expected revisions.

I'd ask about if they approach agenting as per book, or more of a long term relationship.

Ask about if they have clients whose first books did not sell, how that relationship fared after the lack of sale.

Once you're getting closer to narrowing it down, I'd ask for contact info on some clients - preferably some newer clients and some more long term clients.

As for what to say about the other agents, it's perfectly fine to say that the manuscript is out with other agents, and you feel as a professional courtesy you need to give them notice and a chance to respond - then tell the offering agent when you expect to get back to them - ie, you will give the others x time (a week or two).

Then email the other agents and let them know you have an offer of representation, and ask that they let you know by x date (a few days less than you told offering agent, to give yourselves time to process and think if you get multiple offers) if they are interested in representing you.

And yay! And good luck!!

~suki

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, so much Suki! This is a big help!

And thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement!!! I'm so thankful for the AW community.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful news. I feel so good when one of AW's own hits the next level, you know? Almost like I contributed in some way. Hey, look, that's one of us!

Maryn, so pleased

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
So happy for you, Snappy!!!!!!!! All those past rejections? Fuggedabout dem, as they say in Bklyn...!

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, have you had the call yet? Inquiring minds needs to know! Big congrats... and I agree, give everyone a week or two to respond.

ps. Catwoman -- we must be cousins or something!

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

This news is a bit of :Sun:on a dreary day :D

I am so excited and happy for you. Good luck with the call! Let us know how it all goes

ETA: rep me too!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs and remember, just breathe. About the other agents, it would be fair to inform them that you have an offer and then give them another week to chime in. Be honest with the offering agent about the others reading -- he or she shouldn't be surprised to hear it, since he or she bit too.

Be sure to articulate anything that will be important to you. I told my agent about my obsessive record-keeping and that I'd want a copy of editorial correspondence, and he was fine with that.

Good luck!

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations and much success