I have gun question.

Jean

New kid, but beat me hard
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, this might sound stupid but I wonder if a muzzle-loading gun could aim down? Wouldn't bullet roll out the barrel?

And for breech-loading, can we put a bullet without a cartridge in with out it falling down?

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No. If it's a smooth bore, the ball (bullet) is snuggled into a cloth patch that helps to provide a gas seal once the powder ignites. If it's a rifled barrel, there is usually a slight interference fit (projectile to lands/grooves). Some sort of sealant/lubricant is typically present as well (coating the lower portion and/or base of the projectile).

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
That's also what the ramrod is for...

if the ball/bullet won't roll INTO the barrel easily, it won't roll OUT.

Wikipedia explains the procedure pretty well in the entry for muzzleloader.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, I got here late. I love answering firearm questions...

Yeah, what they said. :)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It depends upon the variety of weapon and how well the projectile was seated. Blunderbusses were often not packed that well being loaded with whatever might fit down the barrel but as far as I know were really only shortly in vogue and then only really by pirates. Someone will undoubtedly come by and point to some army equipped with them, but there was a reason that the sword was still the mainstay during the blunderbuss era.

For hunting and military weapons you are realistically talking flintlocks and percussion cap muskets, the former being older and the transition in the early to mid 1800's very roughly speaking. There was a fair length of overlap particularly in rugged remote areas. For a percussion cap muzzle-loader aiming down was not a problem. For flintlocks you can have the flash pan powder pour out of the pan and then there's no way to ignite the charge without putting more powder in the pan. I've used flintlocks, but not nearly as much as percussion cap muskets and probably not in 30 years. I'm sure that someone with more flintlock experience will wander by, but my guess is that the powder issue in the pan (not to be confused with the powder in the barrel) would start being a problem around 45 degrees down from the horizontal, but it would depend upon the specific model. Some were better designed for such a feat than others. If a musketeer were quick enough and didn't take time to aim, I'm sure that they could get well beyond 45 degrees.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And for breech-loading, can we put a bullet without a cartridge in with out it falling down?

Excellent answers to your first question in posts above, which I would assume is the way your story gun should go.

But as to the second question, there were breech-loading rifles and muskets before the advent of self-contained cartridges.

The Norge-made kemmerlader was one. Originally, its breech was literally cranked open, a bullet smeared in tallow inserted, then a paper satchel of black powder torn open to pour in the chamber behind the bullet before the chamber was cranked shut and a percussion cap fitted to the nipple.

As has been said, the grease and/or rifling in the throat just ahead of the chamber snugged the bullet in place.

In later models, the power bag was affixed to the bullet for even faster breech-loading, forming a forerunner of today’s cartridge of primer, casing, powder, and bullet.

So no, no bullet rolling out like a BB through a soda straw if you use one of those rare breech-loaders. Fun question.

Jean

New kid, but beat me hard
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh...thank guys. So, it'll work. I'm working on steampunk novel where gunpowder isn't presented. Instead, I have Milk, lighter-than-air gas that produced by mixing two hyper reactive liquids which would expand in volume dramatically, 25,000 times their liquid state. Milk is used to lift airships, rotate turbines, and power guns - which is called luftgewehr. So, if the bullet won't fall down, my soldiers could fire their luftgewehre down form airships.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, if the bullet won't fall down, my soldiers could fire their luftgewehre down form airships.

Girandoniairrifle.jpg

Absolutely. Above is a photo of the .46 caliber round-ball Girandoni air rifle (luftgewehre) carried on the Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1803-1806. Quite advanced for the time, it was a 20-shot repeater, capable of shooting straight up or straight down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Hope this historic info helps.