sound-powered telephones used in WWII

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
How were calls received on sound-powered phones used in foxholes during World War II? I've read that with these types of phone used on ships, you hear a buzzing when you're getting a call. But I'm not sure that would be the case on the front lines in a war zone... if battalion headquarters calls soldiers in their foxholes and the phone makes a buzzing or ringing sound, it could potentially give away their positions, I would think. So did they vibrate, or what? Or could the men only make calls from the foxholes, and not receive them at all?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Sound powered? They're battery powered for the speaker/mic. You crank a little handle (which powers a generator) to make the phone on the other end ring. Entrenched positions are not generally completely hidden from sight; if the enemy is close enough to hear the phone they probably already know where you are.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I thought they were more radios than phones - and they wouldn't have them right on the front lines, but back a bit. Quantities weren't unlimited.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
But that's a different animal Noah. She's talking about a phone that would be used in a trench. The sound powered phones used on ships are genuinely powered by sound, but I've never heard of them being used in trenches.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
If they were in use in the Army, they were long gone by the time I showed up. Though there were times when they would probably have been superior to the Autovon (now DSN) system.

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
Thanks, everyone. Especially Drachen Jager.

But that's a different animal Noah. She's talking about a phone that would be used in a trench. The sound powered phones used on ships are genuinely powered by sound, but I've never heard of them being used in trenches.

They definitely had sound-powered phones in foxholes... maybe not everywhere, but in some regiments. They're referred to as such in two WWII accounts I've read--Infantry Soldier by George Neill, and the memoirs of Thor Ronningen:

http://99div.com/olddirect/thor_s_w...3206f662061205757494920696e66616e7472796d616e

Both authors were in the 395th Infantry Regiment, 99th Division. Of course, neither account really goes into detail about how they knew they were getting a phone call.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score