PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Self-Pub Charity PB

Gemnyc
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

A very dear American friend of mine has asked me for help self-publishing a picture book to raise money for a charity set up in memory of her cousin who tragically died aged 18. Iíve only had experience of trade publishing from my internships, but as these have been kidlit focused, I have been able to help with content and talking about illustrators etc. However, Iím scared to offer advice on self publishing as I donít really know anything about it and the internet research Iíve already done has confused me more than anything!

My friend is happy to fund a lot of the initial set up herself, but going forwards she wants all profits from sales to go to the charity (itís a US based charity). The biggest problem she has noticed from her own research is the cost of the books Ė which means if she prices them realistically it will leave very little actual profit for the charity.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

areteus
09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Research the print options you have. Some of them are expensive but there are cheaper options so make sure you get what you want for the least money.

Does the charity have any wherewithal to fund some of this? If you get them involved they may print it using their own contacts and stick their logo on it as it serves to advertise them. Ring them up and ask to have a meeting with one of their PR or fund raising people and see what they are willing to do. A large organisation may well have a cheap printing deal for books anyway (charities produce a lot of literature, often in full colour).

lady_K
09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
If you price the book higher than a normal one, that should be fine. As long as people know they are donating their money to a charity, and there's a legit reason for the book to be priced that way, they shouldn't mind.

Old Hack
09-20-2011, 05:41 PM
You should get the charity's agreement if you're going to mention its name on the book or in any of your promotional material.

Gemnyc
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks all for thoughts so far. My friend is working on behalf of the charity with their full support and knowledge so is able to use logos etc. One of the thoughts of the book is to spread the word about the charity, so the book will have an info page about their work. It's a small organisation at the moment, so family and friends volunteer in PR/fundraising roles. So far, they have done local one off fundraising events, but this idea was something they were considering to bring in a stream of revenue and get the word out.