New Security Program Causes Major Logan Jam

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The TSA is expanding from Freedom Frisks to Infidel Interviews.
New security procedures being tested at Logan International Airport caused significant backups at security checkpoints Thursday, according to airlines.

Backups lasted for about four hours after the Transportation Security Administration began testing a procedure that requires more human interaction between security agents and passengers.

The process takes about 30 seconds, but it caused many passengers to be delayed. TSA agents engaged in "chat downs" while checking their IDs and boarding passes.
Some passengers were not pleased...
"Look at the lines. There's something wrong if they're trying to do something that you've got this long of a line of people waiting to come through," said one man.
...but once again, the TSA doesn't get it.
An airline worker said the lines were the worst he had seen in 30 years, but the TSA said they were pleased with how the pilot program has gone over the last month and in time it will help them decide who needs more screening and who needs less.
Do you feel safer?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The TSA is expanding from Freedom Frisks to Infidel Interviews.

Some passengers were not pleased...

...but once again, the TSA doesn't get it.

Do you feel safer?
I just flew across the country a couple of times last week. I swear TSA does this invasive, search-without-cause stuff just to assert its authority. I've said it before; it is no different from when I make my dog wait for his food. It's all about reminding us who's in charge by forcing us to act like good little sheeple.

We are not any safer. It's all window dressing.

Flying has become such a PITA that I now drive to most of the places I'd have flown to in the past. Chicago? Louisville? Forget it, I'm driving.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't....comment....too...much....anger...over....can't say...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy's routine about going through security at Paducah International Airport.

Security official: "Y'all got any bombs, or guns, or nail files, or stuff like that?"

"No, sir."

Security official: "Well, y'all get on in there then. Enjoy ya trip on that there flying machine."

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Although I think this is stupid, I have to admit that I've never had huge issues with TSA and the security procedure. I travel quite often and have never felt violated in any way nor been held up unnecessarily.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
One of the things I like best about being dead broke is that I have an unassailable excuse for not flying around the country to visit people. I hate flying nowadays. It's just another pointless, soul-sucking nightmare of modern incompetence.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I think this is stupid, I have to admit that I've never had huge issues with TSA and the security procedure. I travel quite often and have never felt violated in any way nor been held up unnecessarily.
So you haven't come home to find the little note in your suitcase informing you that TSA has riffled through your dirty laundry?

Because I have. And you know what? I may having nothing to hide but what's in my suitcase is none of their goddamnmotherfuckingbusiness. It's bullshit, and we've put up with it for too long and for what? For what? Are we any safer? No. We've been forced to give up our privacy for no reason at all.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I like best about being dead broke is that I have an unassailable excuse for not flying around the country to visit people. I hate flying nowadays. It's just another pointless, soul-sucking nightmare of modern incompetence.
Actually, I love flying, and think it takes tremendous competence to throw huge hunks of metal filled with people through the sky on a schedule. I find looking down at the planet from great heights elevates my soul, makes me appreciate the fragility of the planet and the chutzpah it's taken to tame it. It's as soul-stirring an experience as a mountain peak at sunrise or the desert at new moon to me.

It's the crap on either end of the flight that makes it intolerable, IMO.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
Do you feel safer?

Of course not, and Don, you know I don't think there should be a TSA in the first place.

But, since they exist, this actually is closer to what I think they should be doing than the body scans and pat downs. If they were to get rid of the body scans and pat downs and replace it with this, I'd be pretty happy about it.

(course, that's not what they're doing.)

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Backups lasted for about four hours after the Transportation Security Administration began testing a procedure that requires more human interaction between security agents and passengers.

The process takes about 30 seconds, but it caused many passengers to be delayed. TSA agents engaged in "chat downs" while checking their IDs and boarding passes.The pilot program began last month in Logan's Terminal A.

It's designed to analyze passenger behavior. The risk-based approach requires passengers to answer simple questions as they go through security.

Gosh, I wonder what the results will come out to be.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
For the next TSA upgrade there's just going to be a line marked "Suspicious-looking brown people".

God I'm so glad I don't live in America.

No offence America, but there it is.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the next TSA upgrade there's just going to be a line marked "Suspicious-looking brown people".

None taken. I'm starting to wish I didn't but...sorry...Europe's got it's problems too.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I love flying, and think it takes tremendous competence to throw huge hunks of metal filled with people through the sky on a schedule. I find looking down at the planet from great heights elevates my soul, makes me appreciate the fragility of the planet and the chutzpah it's taken to tame it. It's as soul-stirring an experience as a mountain peak at sunrise or the desert at new moon to me.
And we musn't forget the delicious little ginger cookies Delta serves in flight. I try to tell myself the cookies make it all worthwhile.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And we musn't forget the delicious little ginger cookies Delta serves in flight. I try to tell myself the cookies make it all worthwhile.
Gah! You just had to drag me back inside the plane, didn't you?

I haven't flown commercial in over 10 years, but I always got a window seat and tuned out the cabin. That said, I'd rather be in a small plane any time.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
What I really hate is when they cut off my TSA approved lock instead of using their key to unlock it.

Sure you can fill out a 3 or 4 page form requesting a refund, but you need the original sales receipt and a bunch of other stuff - they suggest sending a photo of the lost/damaged item. If it's lost how can I take a picture of it - or do they expect me to take a photo of everything I pack, including the lock?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just another day at Logan

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
These stories seem to be getting worse and worse rather than going back to a state of "normality" (which some folks believed when thee things were introduced), so for someone who is planning a journey to the states it is very disturbing to see just how bad it seems to be. As for the profiling which is going on... Oh man, I am so screwed.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No offence taken, here anyway. It's not about "brown" people. I don't know where you're getting that from. It's all about power and paranoia. And no, nobody "brown" is going to have an exclusive problem in America. Americans of every color are going to have a problem in America. . .

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
No offence taken, here anyway. It's not about "brown" people. I don't know where you're getting that from. It's all about power and paranoia. And no, nobody "brown" is going to have an exclusive problem in America. Americans of every color are going to have a problem in America. . .
I was being a little facetious in my bitterness. Sorry about that ;)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Sure, but some of us will get a greater proportion of that paranoia directed at us than others.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

So you haven't come home to find the little note in your suitcase informing you that TSA has riffled through your dirty laundry?

Nope. The worst that's happened to me is the last time I flew out to LA, I'd forgotten my Bag O' Liquids in my carry-on and was detained an extra 2.5 minutes as they questioned me and ran a testing swab through my bag.

And that's me on the right in my avatar. From what everybody's been saying, I'd be the first one they'd target based on my appearance.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be the first one they'd target based on my appearance.

I have you beat there - dark long hair? Check. Beard? Check. Nervous about flying? Check. The extended stay (6 months, so I probably won't have my return flight booked) would be the added push they need to take me off to a little room and question me.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
It must be select airports only that have this issue. I've never seen 4 hour lines. I've never gotten to the airport early enough to deal with that kind of thing either, so I'd probably end up missing my flight if I had to.

I get one of those little cards from Customs telling me that they've fingered my skivvies every time though. I sure hope the dildos give them a chuckle. (srsly, start carrying bizarre sex toys around with you, they'll be so distracted, they'll let you right through... )