I am grinning from ear to ear

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new writer, and have had two [paid] pieces published, and the rest are floating around in submission land.

I write mostly essays, and went back to college this past March for journalism as a back up plan, if I want to pursue this writing thing; plus I wasn't that familiar with journalism writing. I'd like to work at a newspaper as a day job and do a little freelancing on the side.

Anyway, this past weekend I decided to do a self-assignment at a neighborhood event. I wrote an article about it and sent it to three neighborhood papers. I introduced myself as a journalism student. One got back to me. I was too nervous to open it right away, so I watched it for a couple of hours :Hammer: . When I did, just now, it was from the editor. He said, "It's a fine piece of work, and well written. However, we can't fit it into our upcoming issue." But, he did send me on another assignment. :banana:

Sorry if this post isn't coherent, my hands are shaking and I'm still nervous. I've got to call my husband (who edited the story for me), my mom, and my journalism professor :hooray:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great news! Polish up yer brass and go out again. Strike while the iron's hot and all that....w00t!

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Hannah that's absolutely woinderful. You go girl!
I think it's time for a nana dance.
emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif
smile.gif
emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif
emoticonbanana.gif

Best wishes in your endeavor.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from reporting. People were really nice when I introduced myself as a freelance reporter for the paper :Guitar:

I did call one of the persons on the phone to confirm some allegations, and went to do some "shoe-leather" reporting (that means to go and knock on some doors). I talk to a few people and even got photographs (I'm a photographer too).

I have to call a few bigwigs on Monday to get their comments.

I am currently working for the student newspaper, so I have a smidgen of experience (ha! not much :popcorn: ), and have worked on investigative pieces.

I hope he doesn't keep me too busy, I still have schoolwork to get done.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a lark! Keep up the good work :) !

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Yeah, for Hannah. I was a newspaper and editor and it was a thrill, believe me. Now all you need is that press I.D. badge. Get the bulldog clip!

Tri

I was just telling my hubby that I needed a press I.D. and I'd be all set :Hail:

If's funny, when I bought a voice recorder, I tested it doing an interview with the hubby; "Hello, this is Hannah from the XXXX Times and I'd like to ask you a few questions." He bursted into laughter for about five minutes. Now he's really proud of me (and thankful that the tuition he's paying is paying off). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic attitude and fantastic results. Congratulations!!!

Never shy of an excuse for

:banana: :banana: :banana::banana: :banana::banana::banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana: Dancing :banana: :banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana: Bananas :banana: :banana: :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana::banana: :banana::banana::banana: :banana:

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Hannah,

Now I'm grinning from ear to ear. Well done!

Reece :Clap:

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Hehehehehehe. he want's a 450-word article by Monday :idea:

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Okeedookee, I turned in my story with photographs and he liked it! He's gonna run it, and cut me a check :hooray:

He also asked me if I had anything else cookin. I told him no, but if he want's to throw something my way, the end of school semester is this Thursday. :Guitar:

I guess I'm on my way :hat:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Hannah! You (and your Husbandwho'spayingfortuition,blesshim) should be very proud :Lecture: :Clap:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's great Hannah! Congratulations. You should maybe think of something else to cook on your own and send him a query in a few days. Strike while the iron is hot. Editors like that, too...if they use you once and they are happy with your work, they are more likely to listen when you pitch them a query...especially if you are fresh in their minds.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVORS!

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I do have a story that I'm working on for the school newspaper, but I'm sure he won't be interested in that :)

Also, I have an idea or two brewing, but I wasn't sure if it's right for the paper. I suppose I could pitch it to him.

One of the stories I have in mind is a profile of a woman that lives around the corner from me. She has jazz jam sessions in her apartment every Sunday. I went a few weeks ago, took some notes, while my husband took some photos. I met a few "famous" jazz old-timers there, and even interviewed them. I wanted to dig really into it and do it, creative non-fiction, essay style, not necessarily "newspaper style". Don't know if it would be appropriate for their paper.

Also, there is a group of nuns who moved into my neighborhood last summer. I saw one of them and took her photograph. I also asked her why they don't live in a convent. She said, "The convent is wherever the nuns go." It just looks pretty weird when one of them (there are about four total) is out in the front yard sweeping the sidewalk in full nun get-up. But every time I see one of them, I'm almost running late for school, so I can't really talk. I'd like to spend a few days with them.