Proper Use: Of/In

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend write content for her website and I'm stumped with a grammar question (ok, I'm grammaticly challenged and easily stumped<g>).

Which is correct?

I trained with master instructors of Florida and Texas. or... I trained with master instructors in Florida and Texas.

I'm guessing the second one.

Thanks!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing you mean master instructors who are located in Florida and Texas? If so, then "in". This also suggests that the instruction took place in those states.

"Instructor of Florida" could mean that the instructor teaches about Florida, not that the instructor lives there.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on a number of things. If the training took place in those states then TheIT is correct. The exception being that if there were only one master trainer in each state (then you could argue whether it should be capitalised). If the training took place at a conference (or boot camp or whatever) then it should be 'of'.

The issue I have is the use of 'training with'. Does that mean 'trained by' or 'trained alongside'? You could also consider whether 'was trained', 'have trained' or 'have been trained' would be more appropriate (depending on the context).

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
The issue I have is the use of 'training with'. Does that mean 'trained by' or 'trained alongside'? You could also consider whether 'was trained', 'have trained' or 'have been trained' would be more appropriate (depending on the context).

You're right. And the original sentence did use trained by. I miswrote it when I posted it here.
Thanks!