Author rejects major publishers, vows to return to self publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
She quit her career in the City claiming she couldn’t stand the sexism.

Now novelist Polly Courtney is dropping her publisher for the same reason – complaining her books are marketed in a ‘sexist’ and ‘degrading’ manner.

The 32-year-old writer, who shot to fame after penning an expose of life in the Square Mile, dramatically sacked HarperCollins at the launch of her new book last night.

article-2037566-0DE3497C00000578-89_468x419.jpg
Not happy: Author Polly Courtney, with her book 'A Man's World', is now dropping her publisher for marketing her books in a 'sexist' manner

Despite helping her put out three successful novels, she attacked the publisher for ‘patronising women’ with ‘fluffy’ marketing campaigns.

She said her new novel, It’s A Man’s World, was given a racy jacket and inappropriate title against her wishes.

The story follows the fortunes of a woman trying to make it at a lads’ magazine – facing a personal crisis when she realises she has forfeited her principles in the process.

Much as I hate linking the Daily Mail...

Whatever about her perception (ie whether you agree or not) the question is where would you draw the line? Or do you have a line? or should there be a line? and if so, how thick should it be?

Pretty big decision from Ms Courtney.

Reaction score
There's already a thread about this.

And if she's three years younger than me, she's had a really rough life.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
ouch. lol. grand, hopefully it can be merged or destroyed so
ps where is the other thread? not on this forum is it?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I've not seen a thread on this either... link or merge, please?

Dumping them on the launch night sounds like a publicity stunt to me... she could have walked at any point before that without making a massive scene.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Harper-Collins,

I will happily take her place.

Yours,

B

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this was mentioned in the other thread, but -- "dump" is not the appropriate word for "I've fulfilled my contract and don't have another pending, so I'm self-publishing my next book."

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Two things:

1. She didn't 'dump' her publisher, she was at the end of her 3 book contract and they didn't renew.

2. For someone who complains about sexism and using sex to sell, she has no problem posting pics of herself pole dancing. In fact, I'm fairly certain I can see her pants in her Amazon author photo.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Two things:

1. She didn't 'dump' her publisher, she was at the end of her 3 book contract and they didn't renew.

2. For someone who complains about sexism and using sex to sell, she has no problem posting pics of herself pole dancing. In fact, I'm fairly certain I can see her pants in her Amazon author photo.

QFT. Drama Queen!

dramatically sacked HarperCollins at the launch of her new book last night.

An author does not sack a publisher. The publisher is not her employee. Maybe it's DM wording, but still...

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to double-quote shaldna for truth because it bears repeating:

shaldna:
Two things:

Also, what really grates me about this news story isn't just that Polly Courtney decided to make her announcement at the book launch (i.e. right in front of the people who have worked hard for her over the last 3 years), which in itself shows a distinct lack of class. It's the fact that Avon is known as a romance imprint so it would have been clear to her right from the start how her books were going to be marketed. If she didn't like that, then she didn't have to take the 3 book deal.

I have little time for people who only find (or in this case, re-discover) their principles after they've cashed the cheque.

MM

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of her either until this.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread about this.

And if she's three years younger than me, she's had a really rough life.
Ha. And I was thinking if she's 15 years younger than I am, she's had a rough life.

Book covers are all starting to look the same these days. They're mainly

A. An adult with his/her head obscured or cropped.
B. A small child with his/her back to the camera or face obscured or cropped.
C. Feet or shoes, toes pointed inward.
D. Flowers or food.

If she didn't get stuck with one of those four, she should quit complaining. If she didn't get stuck with a title based on the formula The [Name Profession]'s [Name Relationship] like The Zookeeper's Sister-in-Law, The Shaman's Daughter, The Bricklayer's Third Wife ... she should be double extra grateful.

Last edited:

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Book covers are all starting to look the same these days. They're mainly

A. An adult with his/her head obscured or cropped.
B. A small child with his/her back to the camera or face obscured or cropped.
C. Feet or shoes, toes pointed inward.
D. Flowers or food.

If she didn't get stuck with one of those four, she should quit complaining. If she didn't get stuck with a title based on the formula The [Name Profession]'s [Name Relationship] like The Zookeeper's Sister-in-Law, The Shaman's Daughter, The Bricklayer's Third Wife ... she should be double extra grateful.

Hers is A).

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm not stunned, I'm saddened. I've never heard of this woman. But then again, I don't read her genre, so I wouldn't. Given her behavior, I'm less likely to. Pulling this stunt at a publication party screams low class and impulsive paranoia.

Okay, I get that she suffered discrimination while working in the men's magazine industry. Jeesh. You think? How much of her resultant actions are the result of that discrimination, and how much is professional victimhood, I have no idea. But I agree: when she signed on with Avon, she should have understood they were going to market her work as fluffy chick-lit. That's what they largely sell.

It would be like me pitching a Chamber-of-Commerce coal-mining apologia to the Sierra Club Press. Or complaining that Carina won't take inspirationals.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Okay, I get that she suffered discrimination while working in the men's magazine industry. Jeesh. You think?

Actually, no, she didn't. The protagonist of her current novel works in the men's magazine industry. Not the author.

The last time she flamboyantly quit her then-current occupation was when she felt oppressed in the investment banking industry.

In three or four years I expect to see her dump the self-publishing industry due to its sexism and hard-work-for-little-reward.

Perhaps she'll go into politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.