when an 8th Grade Education Meant Something

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
This has been debunked before. This was an awkward exercise by the educators at the time to give them a graduating test or some sort or another. It was then deemed too difficult for eighth graders and scrapped.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense. They probably had to go all the way through twelfth grade to learn all that stuff. Let's give it to today's highschool grads and see how they make out. :D

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense. They probably had to go all the way through twelfth grade to learn all that stuff. Let's give it to today's highschool grads and see how they make out. :D

If I was in the mood for horror, I'd go to the Horror SYW section. Thanks Don.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I would need a refresher on my grammar jargon and some basic historical places and dates, but for the most part, I don't think that test is so out there. My elementary school covered most of those questions in regular class work. I'm not really seeing how that test would be too hard for 8th graders, provided they had sufficient exposure prior to that. At the very least, 10th graders should be able to handle it, no problem.

But even more, it horrifies me that there are Americans, high school age and older, who would not be able to pass that test.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Can some of those things in number 1 even be pluralized?
How does one pluralize "die," or "me," or "Mr. Brown"?

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea that die could actually be used as a noun.

According to Dictionary.com

1. The cubical part of a pedestal between the base and the cornice; a dado or plinth
  2. A device for cutting or molding metal into a particular shape
  3. An engraved device for stamping a design on coins or medals
My answer would have been "deaths." I can say I've learned something today. :)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I have to say, I thought this was kinda the obvious answer . . . Not to be snarky, but don't most people know that "die" is singular and "dice" is plural?

Someone who works as a craftsman in a tap & die shop would beg to differ.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Well in 1910, dies as used in manufacturing was standard fare. So, I think there's a fair chance that people would have said "dies" before "dice." And since Don was born in 1832...

Someone who works as a craftsman in a tap & die shop would beg to differ.
Dice was the giveaway answer, but dad was a machinist, so I went for the more obscure. And I was born in 1852.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
Argh! I stalled at the plural of me!

How can there be more than one me? Or are we counting alternate universes?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Good job! My calculator says 9.78.

Well, it was 1910. They had 100 years less shit to learn, thus more time to learn the little they did have to.

Right. In 1910, scientists didn't even know yet that an atom has a nucleus.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I remember knowing most of those things at one time or other. I'm still good on the grammar and arithmetic, but history and geography never much interested me.

Some of the stuff is dated, though. I don't think the folks of 1910 would appreciate a Ginsberg quote for "America." I don't even know what poem they mean.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I thought this was kinda the obvious answer . . . Not to be snarky, but don't most people know that "die" is singular and "dice" is plural?
I thought that may meant "die" as in deceased.
And how do you pluralize an individual?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
To be serious for just a moment. I've noticed that most older folk. say those in their sixties, who have only a high school education, are the equivalent of today's college grads.

Not all of today's grads -- I know some very smart and extremely well educated young people, but as an average, the high school educated oldsters know more history, write better, can do basic math, etc.

Admittedly, many of them are not so good with computers.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think the final exam for school, whatever school that be, should be open-internet. Learning how to research and to learn is more important than spewing facts. Anybody here could pass that test in short order with a keyboard at their command. Anybody who graduates grade school should be able to do the same. And that includes the critical thinking skills necessary to tell the correct answer from the first one that shows up in the search engine.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
My high school physics final was open book.

If you didn't understand how to apply the basics to solve the problem, the book wasn't much help
The best teachers I had were the ones who gave open-book finals. Aviation law, by a former CAB judge, was open-book, and one of the toughest classes I ever took. He taught thinking, with a side helping of aviation law. The former subject has been more important to me in the long term than the latter.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think the final exam for school, whatever school that be, should be open-internet. Learning how to research and to learn is more important than spewing facts. Anybody here could pass that test in short order with a keyboard at their command. Anybody who graduates grade school should be able to do the same. And that includes the critical thinking skills necessary to tell the correct answer from the first one that shows up in the search engine.

extended_mind.png