And then... as dependent

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
The girl was quiet for a moment then laughed.

I'm coming across this and I can't help but want to sneak an 'and' after moment (or at least a comma to suggest and has been omitted):

The girl was quiet for a moment and then laughed.
The girl was quiet for a moment, then laughed.

I know for independents, you definately have the 'and' and a comma:

The girl ran to the shop, and then she bought milk.
The girl ran to the shop; then she bought milk.
The girl ran to the shop. Then she bought milk.

But it's dependent that's bothering me:

It's niggling the heck out of me, which isn't hard at the moment. Is it simply stylistic to miss the 'and' or comma with dependents?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The first way
makes sense, and I nthink that's what you want to use. I don't think it's wrong; although it is not quite standard. I say go with it.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds nice and loose. A style choice, perhaps. If it suits the voice then go with it, my little rubber ducky.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm coming across this and I can't help but want to sneak an 'and' after moment (or at least a comma to suggest and has been omitted):

The girl was quiet for a moment and then laughed.

I know for independents, you definately have the 'and' and a comma:

The girl ran to the shop, and then she bought milk.
The girl ran to the shop; then she bought milk.
The girl ran to the shop. Then she bought milk.

But it's dependent that's bothering me:

It's niggling the heck out of me, which isn't hard at the moment. Is it simply stylistic to miss the 'and' or comma with dependents?

Like everything else, there are rules for this structure.

If you have an independent clause followed by a dependent clause (which often starts with a subordinating conjunction like although, since, because, while, unless, after, etc.), each has a subject and a predicate, and they are separated by a comma.

The girl was quiet for a moment, until she laughed.

If you have two independent clauses, each with its own subject and predicate, connected by a coordinating conjunction like and, but, or, so, or then, they are separated by a comma. (There's also a rule that you use only one coordinating conjunction, so and then, and so, and similar doubling up is considered a mistake by those who are not flexible on this. They'll accept either, but not both.)

The girl was quiet for a moment, then she laughed.

If you have an independent clause with two predicates but only one subject, you do not separate the conjunction and second predicate from the rest of the sentence.

This is what I learned eons ago, and while more recent thinking on what's correct, plus the ever-changing nature of a living language, may make other punctuation correct, it never hurts your chances with agents and publishers to follow the Olde Wayes.

Maryn, who didn't appreciate her good education at the time

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Blomin' life savers the lot of you. ;) A humbled thank you.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If only us grammar geeks could find a way to turn this skill into cash!

Maryn, glad to have helped

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Fallen.

All your versions are correct. The original isn't. The confusion comes about because people tend to mistake "then" for a conjunction. It isn't; it's a connective adverb. If you want proof:

Then she laughed.
She then laughed.
She laughed, then.​

You cannot move conjunctions around like that. Thus, "then" does not conform to conjunction-rules.

The sentence:

The girl was quiet for a moment (,/and) then laughed.​

also does not have a dependent clause. "(and) then laughed" is part of the main clause's predicate:

S:[The girl] P:[was quiet for a moment (,/and) then laughed].​

The predicate consists of two co-ordinated verb-phrases, rather than a single one. Both share the same subject. Since we're dealing with co-ordinated verb-phrases, we need something to co-ordinate them - whether it's a conjunction or a comma.

It's a bit tricky, though. "Then" has the tendency to "swallow" the conjunction, making conjunction-less co-ordination more easily acceptable:

I went to bed, slept. (You could find that sentence in a novel, if the word flow warrants it.)

I went to bed, then slept. (Technically, it's the same grammatical situation with an added adverb, but it stands out much less.)

But that doesn't make "then" a conjunction. For that reason I'd read Maryn's:

The girl was quiet for a moment, then she laughed.​

as a comma splice, same as I would:

The girl was quiet for amoment, she then laughed.​

And your:

The girl ran to the shop; then she bought milk.​

is fine with me.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hey DawnS ;)

So are you saying (solely with the): she was quiet for a moment then laughed example. you need either:

She was quiet for a moment and then laughed.
She was quiet for a moment, then laughed.
Not:
She was quiet for a moment then laughed.

???

Or do I go two predicates, one subject 'then' is okay:

???

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hey DawnS ;)

So are you saying (solely with the): she was quiet for a moment then laughed example. you need either:

She was quiet for a moment and then laughed.
She was quiet for a moment, then laughed.
Not:

This. You need something to do the co-ordinating, and "then" isn't up to it. It does connect, but on a semantic level, not on a syntactic one. (In other words: My judgement differs from Maryn's.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe an analogy?

She was quiet for a moment and then laughed.​

has a similar syntactic structure to:

She had been quiet for a moment but now laughed.​

Both have [Main clause] + [[conjunction] [adverb] [verb]].

There is a difference, though: "now" refers to the extra-textual context (now = moment of speaking), while "then" refers to the intra-textual context ("then" = this happens after what I just talked about). It's this meaning that makes it suited for co-ordinating two verbs (as in the above), but it can only do so semantically, not syntactically. Thus you need syntactic markers: either through a conjunction, or through a simple sequence (in which case you need the help of orthography - that is, a comma).

Now for a quick change of topic: figures of speech.

A simple sequence would normally end with a conjunction:

I came, I saw, and I conquered.​

Leave out the "and", and you get the way it's normally quoted:

I came, I saw, I conquered.​

The name is "asyndeton".

You needn't repeat the "I"; instead of co-ordinating three main clauses, you could simply co-ordinate the verbs:

I came, saw, conquered.​

It's still an asyndeton, but now it doesn't work on the clause level, but the phrase level. See where this is going? You can now add "then":

I came, saw, then conquered.​

What you have now is an asyndeton on the phrase level with an added adverb of sequence. You need the comma, because it's still a simple sequence (with a left-out conjunction).

But you needn't leave out the conjunction:

I came, saw, and then conquered.​

Note the Oxford comma above. Depending on your stance on that, it's optional. If it weren't a list of three, you need no comma:

I came and then conquered.​

Simple, no?

Ah, alas. No. You see, Maryn does know her stuff. I've said "then" is an adverb; Maryn has said it's a conjunction. It's a matter of theory. I'm not so sure about the particulars myself (which is why I shut up about it before), but I can give you a hint:

You can modify adverbs with other adverbs. Example "Only then":

She was quiet for a moment and only then laughed.​

However, if you use "then" in an asyndetonic structure, you cannot do this (or, at the very least, it's questionable):

?She was quiet for a moment, only then laughed.​

Neither can you move it around:

*She was quiet for a moment, laughed then.​

Many of the things that make "then" an adverb (if you test it), don't apply in that specific case. So it does make some sense to call it a conjunction. Of course, if you do so, it's no longer an asyndeton, and nothing I said above applies. A conjunction is present.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I think it's the core of the confusion. I'm used to 'expecting' examples like:

she was quiet for a moment, then laughed.
she was quiet for a moment and then laughed.

When I come across ones like this:

she was quiet for a moment then laughed.

I don't know how to handle it.

Maryn's argument is sound, so is yours. I see the sense behind both sides and trust your judgements.

But now I know why it's screwing with my head -- I can go cheat ;)

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Like everything else, there are rules for this structure.

If you have an independent clause followed by a dependent clause (which often starts with a subordinating conjunction like although, since, because, while, unless, after, etc.), each has a subject and a predicate, and they are separated by a comma.

The girl was quiet for a moment, until she laughed.

I'm quite certain that when a dependent clause follows an independent clause, such as your example, you do not need a comma (at least in American English).

Last edited:

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Although, now that I think about it, there is sufficient contrast to warrant a comma; however, if the sentence were simply: The girl was quiet until she laughed, the comma would be eliminated.

If the dependent clause led off the sentence: Until she laughed, the girl was quiet for a moment. The comma would be correct.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I also vote for "She was quiet for a moment, then laughed" or "She was quiet for a moment and then laughed" but NOT "She was quiet for a moment then laughed" - IMO there's a natural pause before the "then" that needs to be observed.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The girl was quiet for a moment, then she laughed.

The problems with the punctuations above is treating "then" (named various things, including conjunctive adverb and adverbial conjunction) as if it were a coordinating conjunction in the first example and a simple conjunction in the second. It can't function as either.

As they're worded, they should be punctuated as such:

The girl was quiet for a moment; then, she laughed.

There are two main clauses. "Then" works the same as other adverbial conjunctions like however, moreover, consequently, also, etc. Presently, many don't add the comma after "then," but it's correct.

As said, in this sentence "then" only begins a phrase, not a main clause, so a comma is correct.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please note in post #15 above the phrases "it's correct" and "is correct."

"Correct" as in "not wrong"; however, they may not be right for your particular character's dialog, for your first-person narrator, nor for your third-person in-the-head narrative.