I need help with a contract so I can make a decision today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who wouldn't mind helping me go through a contract and telling me what some things mean. I've been through it a few times and understand some things but there are a few things I don't understand. Plus I've never done this before and don't know what to steer clear from.

I will email the contract to you under PDF form or copy and paste it to Word 2010 and send it that way. I will also give you my phone number or I can call you.

I would really appreciate it! And I'll throw in a pair of hand made winter booties that I make. They are wonderful!

Thanks so much. Don't worry the contract isn't that long. It's for ebook and they are a starter publisher.

Terri

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the Licensor?

It says Licensor owns or controls all the intellectual property in and connected to the book.

Does that mean I keep the rights?

And in the add it says I get 49% of the net profits then in my contract is says that I'll share 70% of Revenue (after paying content distributor eg. Apple, google, etc) with the illustrator and 30% will go to Flying Books.

Is this good?

And there are some blank spaces for me to fill out the split percentage. Does that mean I can negotiate that?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Terri, I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable helping you with this contract. It's impossible to tell, from snippets like this, quite what the full implications of the clauses are; I just don't have the time to work through the entire contract and help you with it; and I'm not sure that it's appropriate for you to seek this sort of legal advice on AW.

Do you have a copy of Jenna Glatzer's book, The Street-Smart Writer? I think there's some good conract advice in there. There was a free download of it available a year or two ago. It might be some help.

In the UK you can get free contract advice from the Society of Authors, once you join them: I don't think you'd be eligible for that as you're not in the UK, but there might be a US equivalent. If there is, that would be a much better route for you to take than asking for piecemeal advice here. Contracts are so important; one problematical clause and you're stuffed.

I'm going to close this thread for now, while I take advice from the other mods about this. Sorry, Terri.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You never need to make a decision "today."

Take your time.

You can get an agent for a single deal. Consider doing so.

Remember that a book that's publishable by one is publishable by many.

Status
Not open for further replies.