Dwarfism - Info needed

senka

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In my WIP I wanted one of the characters to be between 120-140cm. She is an adult woman (in her thirties) and I wanted to know if what I imagined her to be like would be realistic or not, and if yes, what exactly could be the medical reason for her condition.
There are many different causes for dwarfism and I'm everything but an expert, so I found research to be really complicated and confusing.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I wanted her body to be proportionate or at least quite proportionate, so I'm afraid achondroplasia (the most common cause for dwarfism) won't work(?).
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Then there should not be major health problems. Hypotonia is what Wikipedia names as common in little people, and I considered this would work and I'd also be okay with everything that does not cause her constant pain, restricted mobility or need of medical treatment etc - it's just that the story is not focusing on dwarfism, so I can't go on and on researching and considering the effects of eventual joint problems or arthritis or whatever, this would be too much distraction from the main plot. She is just one character taking part in many major plot events, which means things that can be physically exhausting and dangerous, and I need her to actively participate and not being "dragged along" by the other characters. Thus, no osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bone disease) either, and I've read that spyndyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita (SED) and diastrophic dysplasia are usually clearly visible and also accompanied by many health problems and restricted mobility as well, so if that's true I'd also have to exclude those.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've been thinking about growth hormone deficiency, but the homepage of "Little People of America" states that this can usually be medically treated, so I guess people of short stature because of GHD do not really exist in modern western countries? Or if they do, what could be the reason there has been no treatment?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]She has grown up in a country you can compare to modern day USA, regarding medical and technical knowledge and everything. Her parents were of normal height, even above average, and her sister as well. The mother was an anorexic, so if this (mother not eating enough while pregnant) could be a possible cause or influence I'd be fine with that - I know only that not eating enough during pregnancy can lead to a newborn being too small and lightweight, but I've no idea if such a person will always stay like that.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Otherwise: I've read about hypochondroplasia and I wondered if anyone of you is familiar with it and thinks it would work?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Or how about other causes/disorders you could think of?[/FONT]

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think that you should start by differentiating "dwarfism" and being of small stature. Dwarfism is caused by certain genes, and it includes the disproportionate bodies that are common. There are people who are well proportioned who are considerably less than five feet tall. My first grade teacher was about the same height as her typical student, but she was reasonably well proportioned and had no related medical problems.

If her family were short, then it could simply a family trait. [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]hypochondroplasia is a genetic condition caused by a dominant gene, so it would be unlikely to appear in just one person in a family. Excuse me; it would just be unlikely; i would be impossible.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Like Snick said, some of us are just from hobbit stock. 140 cm is 5 feet 4 inches if I calculated it correctly. That's just short, not dwarfism...mostly.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Enter a specif hgt and wgt, add pics and Google. Images will appear

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Five foot four isn't even that short. The heroine of Twilight is five four. Janet Jackson is five foot four, and so is Helen Mirren.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, but it's not wearing lifts in your shoes if they are gel supports.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Senka, I know some rather tiny people who don't have any medical issue or genetic disorder that caused them to be small. They're just small, under 5 feet tall and of normal proportions. They don't need a "reason."

You might be overthinking this.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
The average height of the american female is 5'4". I have several friends who are shorter than that. I also had a teacher growing up who was barely taller than her young students. She later became my daughter's teacher when she was 5 and there was barely more than a couple of inches between them. I'd say she was probably about 4'9". My mother-in-law is 4'11". My great grandmother was 4'11" with shoes on and my great-grandfather was 6'4". I am the shortest of their descendents at 5'6".

Height can be determined by many factors other than genetics. For instance, I am slightly disproportionate for my "short" stature. I have legs as long as my aunt who is 5'10" (and hobbit feet - minus the hair), but a short torso. I've been told that this is because I was supposed to be taller, but certain environmental factors (drinking coffee since I was 2yo, smoking cigarettes from the age of 12 through the rest of my teen years, poor nutrition, etc) affected my height.

This very well could have happened to your character, though the likelihood of her nutrition while in utero being the cause is slim. Most babies born at low birth weights tend to catch up with their peers (and sometimes even surpass them) by age 2. While 5'4" is not short by average standards, if her family is quite tall, then yes this is out of the norm and unlikely for her. But it is not impossible, given the right environmental factors. I am proof of that.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Did you mean 4 feet 5 inches? 5'4" would be more like 165 cm.

You may be right. I'm rather distraught right now and may have calculated wrong. Still it wouldn't be all that unusual for the heights in my family. It just wouldn't include me.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Like Snick said, some of us are just from hobbit stock. 140 cm is 5 feet 4 inches if I calculated it correctly. That's just short, not dwarfism...mostly.

140 cm equal 4 feet 7 inches, which is relatively small of stature.

Last edited:

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
My horse has better math skills than I do, so I didn't even attempt to do the equation, but looking at my seamstress tape which has both inches and centimeters -

140 cm is just a little over 55 inches. That's about 4'7". Just a little taller than my eight year old daughter.

I have a friend who is 4'9", and has delicate, equal proportions.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Environment, diet and lifestyle will also affect your character greatly, as will hereditary physical attributes. A small stature is pretty common around the world.

samw11

Registered
Reaction score
140 cm equal 5 feet 7 inches, which is relatively small of stature.

Hey!!! I'm 5'7" (167.5cm) thank you & I am not particularly short... Models of 5'7" & under are 'petite' but the average height in the UK is approx 5'6", while most professional models are particularly tall - like my 6' sister... she's not a model though - she's a prison officer - but people tend not to argue with her either way.

Normal 'petite' ranges (i.e. not aimed at models) are aimed at women between 4'10" and 5'3" in height - being petite is about your height not your weight... you can be petite AND cuddly all at the same time.

140cm would be about 4'8" so would be particularly petite, but I went to school with a couple of girls who were... there didn't appear to be a medical condition for it, they were just 'more petite' than everyone else.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hey!!! I'm 5'7" (167.5cm) thank you & I am not particularly short... Models of 5'7" & under are 'petite' but the average height in the UK is approx 5'6", while most professional models are particularly tall - like my 6' sister... she's not a model though - she's a prison officer - but people tend not to argue with her either way.

Normal 'petite' ranges (i.e. not aimed at models) are aimed at women between 4'10" and 5'3" in height - being petite is about your height not your weight... you can be petite AND cuddly all at the same time.

140cm would be about 4'8" so would be particularly petite, but I went to school with a couple of girls who were... there didn't appear to be a medical condition for it, they were just 'more petite' than everyone else.

That was a typo. I hit the key next to the 4 instead of the 4. Sorry.

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Invent a rare genetic condition and choose your own symptoms. If you make it recessive, it'll explain why it doesn't show up in the rest of her family.

Or just say that nobody knows why she's so short, but since she's healthy her doctors aren't overly worried.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I do know someone who suffers from dwarfism. In the case of my friend, she mainly gets around on a scooter (zooms around actually), and when she walks, it's using crutches. She has had health issues -- surgeries on both her hips.

She does have a hard time getting around though. She has to ride Metro Access, which is for anyone disabled, and it's not all that reliable. The biggest headache, though, is accessibility. Even minimal requirements isn't always helpful for people who trouble getting around -- things like simply getting through a doorway can sometimes be a big challenge.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Where I used to live there was a guy with dwarfism who ran a used furniture shop. He used to lift and carry the furniture onto the back of the van. So it's possible to have dwarfism and be completely mobile and have relatively few problems.

I'm a complete shorty (five foot, or 150cm) and I once met someone with dwarfism who was taller than me. I believe nowadays they give growth hormone injections to most short people to help them achieve a more "normal" height. Hence why I was outgrown by a dwarf.

Malnutrition could be a cause of shortness, if as a child/young adult she didn't get enough to eat on a regular basis.