PDA

View Full Version : Psychologist as a main character

Velcro
09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm looking for a well-written work of fiction that features a psychologist as one of the main characters. I've found a plethora of fiction (and non-fiction) that deal with patients and treating said patients but I cannot seem to find anything that focuses on the psychologist himself (or herself).

However, any recommendations are welcomed. Thanks!

Maryn
09-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Jonathan Kellerman, himself a child psychologist, writes series mystery featuring Alex Delaware, a psychologist who consults for the LAPD and works on cases involving kids and teens in particular.

Maryn, who has enjoyed some of these

Kaiser-Kun
09-13-2011, 09:44 PM
There's also the thriller Analyst, which shows a rather accurate portrayal.

GeorgeK
09-13-2011, 11:08 PM
And remember the Psychologist's mantra, "The crazy ones are the ones more neurotic than me."

Kaiser-Kun
09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Also, remember there are many branches of psychology and the treatment and patient response can be quite different from each other.

archetypewriting
09-15-2011, 07:00 AM
I second the Jonathan Kellerman recommendation. Stephen White is another psychologist who writes fiction and thus has it right.

And if you're looking for something that will help YOU write a work of fiction with a psychologist at the helm, I have to recommend the book in my avatar photo. (Bonus: Jonathan Kellerman recommends it! :)

Mayfield
09-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Not a psychologist, but you might want to check out Dr. Irving Yalom's work. He's a well known psychiatrist (who actually does talk therapy, and is particularly known for his group work) and an author. He's written Love's Executioner, When Nietzsche Wept, The Schopenhauer Cure, and more.

And another vote for Kellerman!

Kaiser-Kun
09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I'd also recommend reading Man's Search For Meaning, by Viktor Frankl, the founder of logotherapy and a Holocaust survivor.

Smiling Ted
09-15-2011, 08:52 AM
I also vote for Kellerman, but with a caveat- read the earlier books in the Alex Delaware series, not the later ones.