Mention editor interest in follow-up to agent?

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent request a full back in the spring, and have not heard back from her yet. It's approaching 4 months, so I was going to ping her to see if there was any interest. However, since I sent the manuscript to this agent I've received interest from an editor at a publishing house. She does not look at submissions from unagented authors, but this editor judged a contest I entered, and asked to read my full. I only recently sent it, and have no idea how long it will take to hear back from her.

Should I mention that I have an editor currently looking at my MS when I ping the agent? Also, I've made some significant revisions since I sent the full, mostly due to a workshop I attended. I was feeling good about my MS when I queried earlier this year and wasn't thinking I needed to change anything else after months of revisions, but since then the story is much stronger. Do I tell the agent that I've revised since we were last in contact? Or should I only mention this if I get a rejection, and then tell her that the story has changed and ask if she'd take another look? Lesson learned about jumping the gun on querying, by the way.

Thanks.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I don't think I'd mention that rewrite or the editor unless she responds with interest. If she declines, the ship has sailed -- an unfortunate consequence of querying early. If she responds with interest, then I would give her both updates.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Odds are, after 4 months she's passed. I know of only a very small handful of agents who offer after that long.

Check the agent on QueryTracker, how long was her previous record before expressing interest on a submission?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It can't hurt for you to send her an email with that information--she's already not representing you, so you've got nothing to lose.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the outcome, though.

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
On agent query a lot of the people who had full requests either heard very fast (a few days) or didn't hear back for 3 or 4 months, seems like a mixed bag but they were all R's....so yeah I'm not expecting too much.