Is this sub dead?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Early last year, I queried a respected and well-known agency. In March, they requested the full MS and said they'd be in touch within six months. Just over six months later, I sent a chase email and had a reply in December. They'd had a lot of staff turnover and had mislaid my original sub. They asked me to resubmit which I did.

At the start of June this year, I sent a chase email. No reply as of yet. So do I consider this a dead submission or just one that's taking a long time to get anywhere?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
No response on a full? If this happened to me, I'd consider the sub dead. They lost the first sub, and they've taken eight or nine months on this one. Well-respected or not, they are either not interested or they're disorganized. If you really want to deal with them, and they get back to you, you can pick up where they left off.

Spend your energy on newer submissions.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You could be right, Filigree. On one hand, I'm thinking this is getting close to dragging on for two years. On the other, I can see it as starting at the end of last year since the original sub went AWOL and nine months, while a long time, isn't the longest anyone's waited for a reply.

I suppose nothing's stopping me from focusing on other areas. Still, I'd like to know one way or the other on this.

Last edited:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to keep nudging as long as it's not keeping you from querying elsewhere. It's probably lost in the shuffle with no particular agent laying claim to it. Maybe the nudges will encourage someone to take responsibility and at least give you a bit of closure.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If you gave them an exclusive, they've long worn out any right to it. Either way, you've done your nudging, so let it go.

I had one full out for eight months, with no response to my one nudge. But when I wrote to withdraw the MS after getting another agent, I got an instant congratulations note. Go figure. I write it off as relief. ;)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
If you gave them an exclusive, they've long worn out any right to it. Either way, you've done your nudging, so let it go.

No exclusives, just a very slow process. I know all the emails cost me is thirty seconds of time, but then how many different ways can I say hello, remember me?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it's probably dead in the water but it could be that your sub is sitting at the bottom of a pile somewhere, waiting to be read. Would you share with me the name of the agent?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sub it to others and move on. IMHO

Your work is good and enough time has passed. They can't be the only publisher out there....:D