PDA

View Full Version : Same company, different imprints

Gatita
09-12-2011, 12:33 AM
My ex-agent unsuccessfully sent my narrative nonfiction proposal to a few huge publishing houses a couple of years ago.

One went to a niche imprint at Hachette; the other two went to Penguin and HarperCollins.

So can a new agent now send my updated proposal to specific imprints in any of those houses (we didn't pitch to these imprints)?

Lucy
09-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Nope. You get one shot. Write something new.

Cyia
09-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Nope. You get one shot. Write something new.

You get one shot PER IMPRINT. The same book can be subbed to multiple imprints within the same house, so long as your agent abides by their guidelines on submissions.

Jen Klein
09-12-2011, 06:24 AM
I don't know about non-fiction (I'm strictly fiction, YA specifically), but my understanding is that SOME houses allow subs to various imprints but some discourage it.

Gatita
09-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Thanks y'all!

I'm definitely not shelving it (yet). This is a major project that's only been subbed to a few imprints and I have several agents eager to work with me, even knowing this.

Old Hack
09-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I'd choose the best agent for you, then, and leave it up to them. They'll know where they can and can't resubmit (and if they don't, you don't want them for your agent).

Gatita
09-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Good point Old Hack...

Lucy
09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
You get one shot PER IMPRINT. The same book can be subbed to multiple imprints within the same house, so long as your agent abides by their guidelines on submissions.

My agent submits only to one imprint per company. There is not 15 different shots with every company; there is one. I've never heard of any agent submitting to every imprint. If yours does, that's great - but it isn't the norm.

Gatita
09-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Now I'm more confused. Several agents told me they submit separately to editors at FSG, Holt, and St. Martins. All three are owned by Macmillan.

Old Hack
09-13-2011, 09:51 AM
All three are Macmillan imprints. So, as has already been said upstream, you usually get one shot per imprint.

waylander
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Now I'm more confused. Several agents told me they submit separately to editors at FSG, Holt, and St. Martins. All three are owned by Macmillan.

But each has a separate editorial team and they don't share submissions

Gatita
09-13-2011, 07:15 PM
waylander and old hack, you are correct. My ex-agent now tells me she did submit separately to all three. So that was 3 shots, not one.

Apparently some agents, like Lucy's, do it differently... I guess the bottom line is our mileage may vary! :)

DahlELama
09-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I used to work as an editorial assistant at an imprint of S&S and we definitely got submissions that went to other S&S imprints simultaneously.

hillaryjacques
09-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Some publishers are strict about submissions. You send to one editor at one imprint and that's your only shot for the publisher(although I think this is sort of on the honor system). Others allow agents to submit to multiple editors, but not simultaneously. With others, there are no restrictions.

Your agent should know the rules at the various publishers and determine which editors are still available.

JanetO
09-27-2011, 02:38 AM
This discussion makes it sound like there are hard-and-fast rules and regulations governing submissions to editors. There aren't. If your agent has a good relationship with certain editors, submissions can happen regardless of just about anything. So sign with an agent who you believe to know the field. You seem to be in a great position.

Gatita
09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
If your agent has a good relationship with certain editors, submissions can happen regardless of just about anything. So sign with an agent who you believe to know the field.

Thanks... last week I did just that!