Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Portland, Oregon - Wordstock Book Fair - October

UPDATE FOR 2012
Wordstock is this weekend, October 13-14 at the Oregon Convention Center. I looked at the speakers schedule and an AWer, Alex Adams (aadams73) is speaking Saturday at 2pm and Sunday at 2pm. Wow!

I'm going on Saturday and will be in the front row to see her. She wrote a terrific book, White Horse, and lives in the Portland area.

Anyone else going to Wordstock this year?
========================================

Anyone going to Wordstock Saturday-Sunday October 8-9? At the Oregon Convention Center in NE Portland. The Max light rail has a stop right in front there so if you don't want to drive into the city you can take the rail.

http://www.wordstockfestival.com/

I'm probably going to be there Saturday only. Tickets for one day are $7, for both days $10.

Last edited:

Rise2theTop

To Live the Dream, Ya Gotta Feel It
Registered
Reaction score
Man...I'd love to go, too far for me, though. But, I do have a very good friend who lives just north of there I think would enjoy this.
Thanks for posting.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, cool! I had no idea this was on. Yeah, I think there's a decent chance I'll go. :)

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
I just found out about this yesterday...crawls out from under my rock. I AM going!!!! This'll be my first writing convention evah and I'm so excited. Lots of big names in the line up.

Elemental Magic

Story Teller in training.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going. I've been waiting for this all summer! Hitting up some workshops too! Should be a lot of fun!

We should wear a sticker that says "AW" or something, so we can recognize each other. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I would've known about this earlier... I would love to go :( too bad I'm stuck in Douglas County for now...

~Amber~

AuburnAssassin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I haven't signed up for any workshops but am still pondering such even at this late hour, but it would probably be one of the early AM ones vs. the ones during the day because their times overlap over sessions I want to see. I bought my entry pass online this afternoon!!

I'll put AW on my badge, somewhere, assuming we get those. I'll be ID'd by my pen name Claire Gillian.

Elemental Magic

Story Teller in training.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to the kicking butt & chewing gum workshop at 10:30. It should be interesting.

I'll put "AW" somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They don't give name badges, that I recall. Just pay your $7 and walk in.

I'll be there tomorrow for several hours, starting around 11. Not going to paid workshops, just hanging out and listening to the readings and other free stuff.

If I can come up with something, I'll wear AW on my shirt. Or maybe I'll wear a little picture of my avatar. I have salt-pepper silver-grey hair.

Last edited:

AuburnAssassin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm showing up for the first for How to Win Over Agents and Editors at 11 AM Sat, will be there both days, no workshops. I already have my 2 day pass in hand...yay!

I wear glasses and have auburn hair with lots o' grey sprinkled throughout. There's a picture of me on my Claire Gillian web page under the "About" tab. Kat, I've seen your pic on your blog from our blog chain days a few months ago. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Kat, I've seen your pic on your blog from our blog chain days a few months ago. I'll keep an eye out.

Oh, well, that pic's a couple of years old when I was thinner and, um, less natural with my hair! ;) But I'll take a peek at your Claire Gillian page and maybe see you in the crowd.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm showing up for the first for How to Win Over Agents and Editors at 11 AM Sat

I went to that one too but missed the first couple of minutes and was sitting near the back. Looked for someone with auburn hair but there were quite a few, really, and too crowded to properly see.

I didn't go to any paid workshops. Just went to some of the free ones on Saturday, then walked around getting overwhelmed by the number of booths.

I saw so many small presses, and a lot of companies advertising services for the self-pubbers. Formatting, editing, etc. I don't think I saw anyone offering cover art, though. Hmm.

Some of the small presses were known names and some weren't. Did you see the new printed monthly newspaper about the Portland literary scene? Don't remember what it was called.

I reached info overload early on. What did you think of it all?

AuburnAssassin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I think it was far too crowed to find a virtual stranger based on vague physical descriptions only. LOL For that agent one, I was near the front. I went both days, but left a little early on day 2, blowing off Maggie Stiefvater (saw her on a panel earlier) and Scott Westerfeld (wah!) but the sessions between when I left and his session weren't my cuppa and like you, I was in info overload.

I wrote a blog post with pictures. If anyone reads, be sure to check out the comments in the second (ROW) link as a couple of the people pictured somehow found my blog through Googling, then commented. LOL

http://clairegillian.com/2011/10/12/2011-wordstock-portland/

and

http://clairegillian.com/2011/10/09/row80-rd-4-wk-1-rpt-2/

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE FOR 2012
Wordstock is this weekend, October 13-14 at the Oregon Convention Center. I looked at the speakers schedule and an AWer, Alex Adams (aadams73) is speaking Saturday at 2pm and Sunday at 2pm. Wow!

I'm going on Saturday and will be in the front row to see her. She wrote a terrific book, White Horse, and lives in the Portland area.

Anyone else going to Wordstock this year?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
What I wouldn't give to be able to come to this - Portland's one of my favourite cities in the world. I hope you all have a blast.

Also, I recently finished White Horse and absolutely loved it, so I'm a little gutted at missing the chance to hear the author speak. But I had no idea she was an AWer! Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.