Fed up I am....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I went clothes shopping today, which I hate doing. To a huge clothes stores full to the brim with tops, trousers, t-shirts..... and I didn't find a single thing I liked. Not one thing.

All the trousers were boot-cut, which don't suit me. And all the tops were either frilly or girly. Which I don't like.

Why do shops only carry one fashion? Not every woman wants to wear girly. I need office clothes. Smart office clothes. And I need them on a small budget.

I hate trailing around loads of shops. And all the shops seem to have the same thing anyway.

Sigh... it's so discouraging.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you. I hate shopping for clothes, can never find what I want.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I trained to teach textiles and stuff! It isn't the making that is difficult it is getting someone to fit the garment.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand clothes shopping, either. However, take me to a computer / consumer electronics shop, or a book store and I'm happy.

As far as getting clothes I want.... I took one day to survey the area and note the shop(s) which sold what I wanted (or close to), and another day to actually go in to the targeted store(s) and a closer look. The third day was spent trying and purchasing.

Just a note: I split the clothes shopping trip so I don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time doing so in one solid chunk. Good to have breaks. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I buy my clothes through mail order catalogs. No matter how many stores you go to, same clothes in all of them. Catalogs have way more options

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Did you try Gap? Over here they have office-type basics in all kinds of shapes, and reasonably priced.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with regdog and aadams. I do all online and Gap is my staple brand mainly because their sizing is consistent and they have basics.

I don't even bother going to stores anymore unless I'm buying shoes, and I HATE that.

+++online. Most places have free returns, and some of the more established brands have really consistent sizing. I don't know what is good in the UK, but I'm sure something is. I end up sending about 20% back, but it is so much less hassle to be able to try on things AT HOME.

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest J Crew online. That's where I shop for casual business attire and suits separates. But then I looked it up to see if you'd have them in England. And you do, but I didn't see a Sale button for the "Ship to England" site. Maybe you have to be in England to access England sale prices? I don't know how the internet works... anyway, that's my suggestion.

Oh, and H&M online. My sister gets a lot of clothes from there, and they look pretty sharp.

Online shopping is convenient, and you can usually get free shipping if you order over a certain amount. Some online retailers have annual or twice yearly blowouts with crazy prices. Only thing is you can't try stuff on before you buy. ETA: like amyash says, you can mail stuff back and you don't have to drive somewhere, stand in line, hassle with people...

Do you have Targets there? I've seen some really nice basics from Target. I bought a few of their shirts, and they hold up nicely after several washes.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... I think what you call reasonably priced is a little different to what I call it.... LOL!

I just checked it out and...oh, ouch, yeah. Big difference--especially once you factor in the exchange rate.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think clothes here are generally more expensive than clothes in America.

A colleague at work is from Chicago and she goes home twice a year. It's cheaper for her to buy clothes there so she has a mad spree and stocks up for the next six months.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I have the same problem. The stores are all full of one thing, so far as I can tell. And the quality is so low! Even at higher prices, they're not made well. I shop online, or my husband finds me things (he's very good at it), or I make them.

Sewing your own clothes is a nuisance, but it's the best way to get the clothes you want at a price you can afford with a quality that can't be found at any chain store.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The other problem I have is that I've put weight on lately so my staples have to change. I used to wear a lot of T shirts. Often a short sleeve in one colour and a long sleeve in another colour underneath. But now I can't cos I have a belly like a beer keg at the moment. (It's hormone related and it's a right pain. I've gone from boyish to apple in six months. Diet ahoy, sigh.....) So I've been looking for looser tops but not sacks. And I did find some. But they were flowery or frilly or puffy-sleeved (shudder!)

Wish I could afford a dressmaker.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I don't have much experience with dressmakers, but honestly, making things yourself is not that hard -- maybe you could take a class? Sewing machines can be found at tolerable prices.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Charity Shops is where - with the exception of footwear and prophylactics - I buy all my clobber.

It's excellent because it is so cheap you can, and will, try and buy all sorts of things you never would've even considered when they were new and 30 quid a pop as compared to 2nd hand and 3 quid a pop.

The quality is usually very good and they stock everything from vintage to worn once all the way through to brand new end of line stuff donated by high street stores.

Ten years ago it was mostly Grandad stuff and things only Jarvis Cocker could pull off, now, well, 200 quid will get you a whole wardrobe, easy.

So, don't be fed up -- get thee to Oxfam.

(oh, and you're helping people, too) :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Alessandra - I'm seriously thinking about it but it's just finding the time to take a class. I work full time so it would have to be on a weekend. And classes here tend to follow the school year so it could be too late for this term. I'll check it out.

But meanwhile.... I need to go online shopping as I need clothes quick now the Autumn is here.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah it would! I do a lot of my knitting watching the TV. I guess I could hand sew but boy... it's a lot of work!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Harry - I live in a poor area so our charity shops tend to be full of clothes that have been worn to death or brought for someone who isn't four foot tall with a 48 inch waist.......

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I always prefer clothes in America. Sometimes cheaper, for starters, and better choice. The clothes shops here just don't seem to cut it anymore, not for me anyway. I don't like buying online because it's like... the fun part is going out and looking (although not so fun when you can't find anything) and staying indoors and ordering online is just being antisocial. Although, I'm antisocial anyway so y'know... lol
So I know what you mean, everything's either one style or the other, never a mix of both. grr.
P.S. I hate clothes shopping too. lol.