Typo Terror

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I sent my full and a few partials out to some agents and just now noticed some typos. It isn't horrible, but they're there, I got about halfway through of reading it and found about 7 or 8 and am terrified I have a lot more. I just don't understand how I can read the thing so many different times and still find flaws with it. And yes, I had betas and a family member read through it too. So I felt confident and sent it out to those who were interested.

I changed the font to suit this one agent's requests and started reading again for some reason and whammo...one, then another, then a few more.

Do you think this might be overlooked if they like it that much? I've had two decline it and now I'm wondering if it has to do with my messiness. I feel so rotten right now.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I had a couple as well, and some tense issues, I'm sure. I've read it so many times, but your eyes see what the mind expects a lot of the time.

Think about it, though--typos are damned easy to fix, and that's why every book goes through a copy editor. If they love your book but decide not to take it because of a few typos, then you probably don't want them representing you.

I sent off a query the other day with a slight typo in the agent's name. Talk about rookie mistake 101. Sigh...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
When I got revision notes back from my agent and started working through them, I discovered several typos. He'd never mentioned them, so they obviously weren't too big of a deal. I fixed them of course, but I don't think a few typos is a deal breaker. Now, if it's more than a few it can make your work look unpolished or like you just don't know what you're doing, but a couple won't really matter.

And I always find things to change even after reading something dozens of times. The closer we are to the work, the harder it is to see mistakes. Odd but true.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just plain typos are easy to overlook and easy to correct. Seven or eight in half a manuscript is not a big deal.

Seven or eight errors in writing mechanics or continuity would be a much bigger deal.

Maryn, who makes mistakes of every shape and kind

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You are all in fact making me feel better, thank you so much. Still reading through it yet again, and it's getting better. I think I have more in the beginning because I revised it so many times.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they're all in the first chapter, I wouldn't sweat it. No one ever mentioned my own typos, and I still keep finding some.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Seven or eight errors in writing mechanics or continuity would be a much bigger deal.

This. 8 or 10 typos out of 80k or 100k words is nothing.

Changing the typeface/size is actually a good way to help yourself spot them. It can force you to actually read and parse instead of skimming from memory. Also, if possible, run the MS through a text-to-speech program. Helped me catch several missed words that couldn't be caught with a spellchecker—my brain has a habit of running ahead of my fingers.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Yeah, it was the font thing that made me wanna read again. That definitely made them jump out more.

I'll have to look into that speech thing on my computer...I have Windows 2007. Do you know how I can go about that?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LMC, you might want to pose your question in the Tech forum, so people who aren't following this thread will learn how, too.

Maryn, who doesn't know

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
When I'm querying a manuscript, I never, ever re-read it. That way the manuscript for sure stays the exact same as what the requesting agents are seeing, and I don't stress myself out. If you're still making changes, it isn't ready to be queried.

It might save your sanity to stop rereading it.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm querying a manuscript, I never, ever re-read it. That way the manuscript for sure stays the exact same as what the requesting agents are seeing, and I don't stress myself out. If you're still making changes, it isn't ready to be queried.

It might save your sanity to stop rereading it.

The best idea yet. LOL Yeah, I've stopped and you're right Becca, I shouldn't stress. I believe it won't be totally perfect no matter how many times I read it in whatever fonts I put it in.

Maryn, I will see if I can figure it out myself before I post in the tech forum, thanks.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I sent my full and a few partials out to some agents and just now noticed some typos. It isn't horrible, but they're there, I got about halfway through of reading it and found about 7 or 8 and am terrified I have a lot more. I just don't understand how I can read the thing so many different times and still find flaws with it. And yes, I had betas and a family member read through it too. So I felt confident and sent it out to those who were interested.

I changed the font to suit this one agent's requests and started reading again for some reason and whammo...one, then another, then a few more.

Do you think this might be overlooked if they like it that much? I've had two decline it and now I'm wondering if it has to do with my messiness. I feel so rotten right now.

Lisa,

People make typos. I would correct the typos for the next round of queries and not worry too much about these. There is such a thing as trying to be too perfect.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
A few typos isn't going to upset anyone. I don't know if you let the manuscript sit for a while, but that often helps me when it comes to picking up errant typos. They're sneaky bastards.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
When you're in the proofreading stage, different/bigger fonts really do help.

Printing it out and reading in hardcopy is also helpful, as is reading it aloud. Different methods highlight different words for some reason.

Shelley