To Add or not to Add

Pebbles

Registered
Reaction score
Most agents ask for the first five pages. I wonder how that works when you have a prologue. Do you count that in the first five pages, or send only the beginning of chapter one?

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP has a prologue that has a murder, but it doesn't involve the MC. So for me, I would have trouble deciding whether to put the prologue, which I love and I do think hooks the reader, versus the first 5 pages of chapter one, which introduces my MC and his voice a bit more and introduces the case he's working on.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be worried about a 5 page prologue... that sounds more like a short chapter one. But if it has action and things happening in it (rather than just the typical bad prologue of 'In the kingdom of X there had been years of war... blah blah blah' which is not good writing) then it should be included because it a) shows how well you write such things and b) IS relevent to the story and probably leaves a nice cliffhanger (or should do) which makes the reader want to find out what happened...

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Just to add - the purpose of a 5-page sample is to demonstrate that you can write prose that is not only literate but draws the reader in. If someone picked up your book, read five pages and thought "meh", you've failed to make a sale. You don't get to stand in the bookshop and say "Um, excuse me... If you skip ahead to chapter one, you'll meet the hero and it gets more interesting...".

The agent is basically replicating the same process with prospective clients. Hook 'em or lose 'em.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I sent in the first five pages, which included four pages of prologue. I did okay. :)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
My current WIP has a prologue that has a murder, but it doesn't involve the MC. So for me, I would have trouble deciding whether to put the prologue, which I love and I do think hooks the reader, versus the first 5 pages of chapter one, which introduces my MC and his voice a bit more and introduces the case he's working on.

This makes me wonder: why can't you drop the prologue, and start with the MC, but have him doing something interesting enough to hook the reader? It sounds like you may not be starting the MC in the right place, if what he's doing is less interesting than the prologue and if the MS depends on the prologue to hook the reader.

Pebbles

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you all so much :) My prologue isn't five pages long. But you are right. If i didn't find it crucial to the story, I wouldn't have written it.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Send the first five pages, exactly as requested. If that's prologue, send it. If it's not good enough to hook a reader, why is it in your manuscript?

This.

Yeah, I got nothing to add to that.