I'm in a weird (querying) position

thedudeman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, long-time lurker here. I am in the middle of writing a non-fiction book. I wrote my first draft over the last few months, which came in right about 32k words. I'm aiming for 70-75k words, so the first draft could be considered a very rough draft or an extremely detailed outline. I'm going back and expanding and expounding during the second draft to meet that goal. I originally wanted to wait until I had a finished mms to start querying so I could say "shit's done yo, wanna see the full?" in the query letter. Of course, I'm impatient, as humans and writers are wont to be, and I want to start querying now, as I predict I won't finish the second draft until the end of October.

Sooo, after saying all that, I guess my question is how would I query at this point? I know the usual query for a non-fic is to offer a proposal, but since I'm about halfway there at this point, do I still offer the proposal? I could offer to send them the ~35k I have right now, but a lot of it needs some TLC before it's seen by anyone besides myself. Do I tell them in the query I'm halfway there but they can only see a proposal? Should I just sit on my hands until the second draft is finished and query the full? Advice by all would be appreciated.

Danke.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
The proper way to query nonfiction is with a (complete) proposal, whether you've finished the book or not. You need a polished first three chapters. Even if you have more ready, you don't send it. If an agent is interested, then you can give him the good news that you can finish the book quickly.

Unless, of course, we're discussing a memoir, which is queried like fiction and should be complete prior to querying.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
Rainsmom is correct, but I would add that in no circumstance do you start querying before you've got the finished product to send to the agent, whether it is a novel or a proposal. Impatience is not your friend. Impatience will make you look like an idiot, or at least not very professional.

Just do the work and follow the rules.