PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have other-than-grass as their yard?

Perks
09-10-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm wondering about stuff like clover or ground cover. Anyone planted a grass alternative for covering large areas?

Cliff Face
09-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Erm, not really what you're looking for, I think...

We have a certain amount of pavers down, for a bit of a patio feel. It wasn't a perfect fit, as some plant matter is peeking out through the pavers.

And then the rest of our yard is either grass (for the doglet) or dirt/mulch sort of stuff, for growing plants. Of course, even in the plant section, there's loads of grass - though we didn't intend for that to happen.

That's probably not what you're looking for...

Rise2theTop
09-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Do weeds count? LOL! Mowed and manicured, cant tell...from a small distance that is. Ah...the joys of living in southwest Florida.

Seriously though, maybe farming communities or something might grow alternatives? Here in Florida, it's either Floritan, Bermuda, or Bahia--and weeds. Ha! Although, back in the late 70's it was all the rage to have gravel for your lawn.

Sydneyd
09-10-2011, 03:07 AM
My parents tarped their yard and covered it with pebbles. It looked great at first, but now the weeds are poking through, so it is about the same amount of work as grass.

Brutal Mustang
09-10-2011, 03:40 AM
My grandparents had a decent rock yard with a cactus or two. No plant problem there, because nothing grew where they lived, in Bullhead City, AZ.

writerterri
09-10-2011, 03:51 AM
You have a yard?

That's it, I'm moving in.

And I'm bringing my Crab grass with me. Low maintenance. :Shrug:

Sorry, I don't have a yard.

I saw a guy with fake grass. It was cool. He vacuumed it though.

Medievalist
09-10-2011, 03:58 AM
When I was a kid in N.H. we had the Front Pasture, and it was a mixture of Timothy and Clover.

Alternate years it was Sweet Peas and nasturtiums, and Hummingbird Seed Mix for New England and the East Coast.

In SoCal it was Ice Plants (http://www.google.com/search?q=ice+plants&hl=en&biw=1254&bih=683&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3adqTrXZNtCFsALh0MDjBA&ved=0CDMQsAQ) in lots of different colors. No mowing, just occasional late evening/early morning watering.

backslashbaby
09-10-2011, 05:08 AM
My neighbor's horse pasture clover has taken over one yard of mine. It's low and yellow and very nice, I think, with small leaves. It'll spread more, and I welcome it. My grass looks like crap in the heat of summer, and this clover stayed green and cool!

I don't know the species. Yellow, lol.

swachski
09-10-2011, 05:13 AM
I like to think of my yard as other-than-grass. I detest all the fertilizers and weed killers that half of the U.S. uses, so I give whatever finds it's way into my yard a safe haven. I counted twenty different plant varieties once. It's a diverse place. I even leave that pesky grass that seems to sneak in. :D

KellyAssauer
09-10-2011, 05:26 AM
I got thistle, iron weed, dandelions, and some funky moss looking stuff over in the super shady spot...

firedrake
09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
When we lived in Arizona, we had gravel and cactus in the front yard. The back yard, because we had dogs, was just dirt.

A nice alternative in less dry climates is chamomile. It's lovely and dense and very fragrant.

Shakesbear
09-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I have some grass, loads of Virginia Creeper, dandelions, clover, wild raspberries, wild roses and many other plants and some shrubs. All have grown without any help from me.