Historic Flooding

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I am from NE Pa and we have been hammered by both tropical storm Lee to the west and Katia to the East. Over the last five day we accumulated three months worth of rain.
The Rivers and streams around my area rose scary fast and the entire area, community after community has been inudated by flood waters.
I have seen houses I drive by every day swept off their foundations and float down the river. have seen my town turn into an extension of the Susquahanna river. Main street in my town is now under 8 feet of water.
In Wilkes-Barre- the river is at the top of the flood gates and the Govenor of Pa had declared a state of emergency. Over 65,000 people have been evacuated in Wilkes-Barre alone.
Historic two-hundred year old covered bridges have washed away like they were made of paper mache.
People have had to be rescued by the national guard in Black Hawk helicpters.
My old High School has water up to the second floor. My Kids school is on fire and flooded at the same time.
We live on a mountain and it seems all a little surreal as we have no damage at all.
the last time I saw a flood this bad was 1972 when Agnes hit this area. This is worse.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Bloody hell, mate! That sounds well rough.

Forgive my ignorance but are floods common in your area? Obviously not this bad but are you in a storm area?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, sounds like you had it worse there than we did here. We had a lot of flooding, a lot of damage, and three deaths that I know of- two car related (DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR THROUGH FLOOD WATERS PEOPLE! NO JOKE!).

PA was already saturated before. Lee was brutal.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
We're no stranger to them. Pa often gets the tail end of hurrucanes and tropical storms coming up the coast. This one was worse because the ground was already saturated by Hurricane Irene last week. The low lying areas always get hit hard but this time even areas that have never seen flood water got devastated.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
DSCN1447 [HQ]
This is an air rescue in my brother's neighborhood- his house is the one they are hovering over. the people were airlifted from the house in the middle of the water.
DSCN1456 [HQ]
another video

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Bloody hell. It just hasn't stopped for you lot, has it? When does hurricane season finish?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's horrible. I'm so glad you're safe, up high. :Hug2: How awful it must be to watch all that happen around you.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I know- I am so glad my family is safe but so many friends have no home to return to-

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks every one! Of course my kids are thrilled because thier school is burning as we speak-

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I live in New York state, about one hundred miles up the Susquehanna from you. Fortunately, like you, I'm on a hill outside the village. All the communities in this area have suffered major flooding, landslides, bridges and roads washed out. Poor old Binghamton got hit really hard. It's the second '100 hundred year flood' in five years. The flood waters have started to recede and our school, thankfully, got spared this time around. Time for another massive clean-up. Stay safe, Shea!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I live in New York state, about one hundred miles up the Susquehanna from you. Fortunately, like you, I'm on a hill outside the village. All the communities in this area have suffered major flooding, landslides, bridges and roads washed out. Poor old Binghamton got hit really hard. It's the second '100 hundred year flood' in five years. The flood waters have started to recede and our school, thankfully, got spared this time around. Time for another massive clean-up. Stay safe, Shea!
You too Dolores-

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
The waters are starting to receed- thank goodness- but the dike everyone built with sandbags and rocks in my hometown (about 9 miles from where I live now) didn't hold- the middle school (my old high school) has water up to the second floor- but I think the worst is over-
Had to reschedule my booksigning that I was supposed to have today in Wilkes-Barre, though. I called and they opened late but they were still willing to host me- I thought it might be better to reschedule :)
thanks for all the good thoughts!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you all too.

Hurricane Irene did a number on us here in Virginia - lots of damage from uprooted trees falling on houses and vehicles.

Hurricane Season is supposedly over by the end of November. :(