Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I had a revision due today. I don't know about you, but when I'm editing a novel-length work for, well, more than the first time, I have a tendency to start with focus and ruthlessness, only to get swept up into the story and what I meant to say, not necessarily what I actually wrote.

Ultimately, this ends with the first few chapters polished all shiny and the finesse fading as the manuscript goes along. Now, I'm a firm believer that for continuity, plot hole discovery, and overall flow, you have to go through it soup-to-nuts a time or two, anyway. But when you want to polish just the words, it can get frustrating.

So I tried something new. This particular manuscript has thirty-two chapters. So, I printed out the numbers 1-32. I cut them apart and folded them individually. Then I drew chapters out of a hat and edited in random order.

Can I tell you? Best editing pass ever. I saw each chapter on its own merit. Saw where my concentration had faltered and let down the storytelling.

I'm very pleased, so I though I'd share. Maybe it'll help somebody else.

Happy Friday!

Last edited:

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME idea.

I like this even better than going through backwards.

Stealing. Totally.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I have in the past suggested editing in reverse order, but I like your randomisation.

OTOH I'm often looking for continuity/flow errors - did I already mention this? Does this make sense in light of the previous chapter? - and reading from start to finish is the only way to do that. I think there's merit in both methods, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
OTOH I'm often looking for continuity/flow errors - did I already mention this? Does this make sense in light of the previous chapter? - and reading from start to finish is the only way to do that.
Oh yeah, you have to do this first -- and probably more than once.

The random pass is for style and style-tangles only. Although, I should mention that I was intrigued to notice character traits and their continuity in a new light with this method.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Really like this idea. Thanks for the share.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Perks, this would have worked really well for my last edit. I'd gone through once in order and compiled notes within the MS, highlighted, color coded, etc. I did it in Scrivener so it was split by chapter already.

It would really have helped to randomize, because it was a final pass. I think that might have given more oomph to the middle bits.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool idea! I'll have to try that (I will need to soon, hopefully!)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It would really have helped to randomize, because it was a final pass. I think that might have given more oomph to the middle bits.
I have to say that, for the first time, this actually felt like a 'final pass'. The randomization really helped that.

I mean, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and I'm sure if this book gets picked up, there will be plenty of editorial work to be done. But until then, I feel like I gave my fresh focus to all the parts of the machine.

On a side note, play a game of Bejeweled or fold some laundry in between chapters -- anything that's not about words. It helps!

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Urgh, there's always more edits later...at least until it's on the shelf.

I did well with this one doing one chapter at a time, I think. Mark was happy when I was done–didn't ask for any changes, so I guess I didn't poop out as much as I felt I did at times.

I'm definitely stealing your idea on my current book for that last swoop through. Brilliant!

Deleted member 42

So I tried something new. This particular manuscript has thirty-two chapters. So, I printed out the numbers 1-32. I cut them apart and folded them individually. Then I drew chapters out of a hat and edited in random order.

I do this too, reading them out of order. Also editing in hardcopy, which sort of makes me see the words differently.

As in "re-vision."

Last edited by a moderator:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Yoink!

Great idea. Hopefully, I'll finish a first draft of this atrocity, so I can try it.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
OOOOOH.

My current project is giving me unadulterated HELL right now (I get halfway into a chapter and it's wrong, so I have to delete and start the chapter over... for the last 8 chapters so far. GRRRR.) -- and I think your editing method will be fantastic for making sure I haven't totally screwed everything when I'm done.

Thanks, Perks! :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's a great idea. Something I have never tried. I always try to edit on paper...but non-sequentially would put an end to reading what you think is there as opposed to what actually is there. Gonna try it! Thanks.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I do this too, reading them out of order. Also editing in hardcopy, which sort of makes me see the words differently.

As in "re-vision."

Have you tried changing the font instead? I know a few writers who do that and it helps.

I amplify up to about 175% when editing at some points. I do hard copy usually too. Sometimes I cut the hardcopy up into pieces...don't know what that is all about, but it helps.

/derail

Still <3 this, Perks.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Very clever of you! I know how it feels to get past the editing and just be reading the novel instead. :tongue Thanks for the tip.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I think this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing, and yeah I agree that it would work better for maybe a last pass or near last pass. I also have considered printing it out, but ugh all that ink, all that paper... I should look into seeing how much it costs to print at a printer place lol

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been one for reading backwards too. At a lecture the professor once put up a paragraph with mistakes on it and said that no one could find all the mistakes in it quickly, I found them all before she took the slide down by reading it backwards :) ) But with a line edit, anything that removes you from context is good. General advice also suggests a time space between writing and editing - where you put it away and don't even think about it for at least 2 days - in order to 'clear your own idealised memory' of the piece.

Random order chapters is a great idea :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread. :)

My second draft seems to be about rewriting at the moment. But I will certainly try this technique in draft three.

Sometimes I do feel in the final editing stages that I read passively, and my brain isn't engaging actively enough in the editing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.