• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for beta, first 30 pp of mainstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi--

I am 30 pages in on my WIP and I'd like to iron out any wrinkles before going too much farther. I'm not looking for line editing; mostly, I'd just like a quick read with a 2-3 sentence critique that tells me if the hook is strong enough, in the right place, characters are consistent, plot is smooth so far, etc. I've already received one opinion with a few suggested changes but I'd like a second one.

Having revised another novel extensively in two totally different directions for a couple of agents in the past (and butchered the story in the process--why can't they get together on that? : ) ), I'm a bit wary of making changes based on one reader's feedback. Two reasonably-matched critiques, however, would be a no-brainer for me.

The story: Set in the mid '70s, rural south Texas: a pregnant 14-yr-old undiscovered country singer moves in with a new neighbor in order to hide from her drug-dealing brothers. POV: first person, the neighbor's, a 30-ish former school librarian.

I can at this time offer as trade only a batch of home-made chocolate chip cookies. (For reals. And I'm a good cook. Although the cc cookies are not on our menu, my restaurant is here.)

Thanks.

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to read this. I like to look at the big picture, motifs and their potential (what strikes me as fascinating, what I expect / would like to come across later on in the story, etc), pace, characterization, and how strong the hook is; I may not suggest changes, but I will give you an analysis.

How does this sound? :)

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds great Kitty! I love your location, btw. I *just* posted on Goodreads that Ahab's Wife is one of my favorite books of all time.

I just PMed you.

Kitty Crocodile

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I just looked up Ahab's Wife. :) I look forward to reading your work!

Status
Not open for further replies.