Reaction score
Thanks, Linda.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
What a thoroughly interesting article. I own some of Mr. Cussler's books, though I haven't read them yet (they're on that ever-growing list of books to read). Nevertheless, fascinating article on where he's come from.

I didn't realize he was that old, actually.

I didn't know "Sahara" was his either, actually. I'm now curious. I wanna read the book,and then go see the movie (I didn't bother to see it when it came out in theaters).

Anyone compared the two? Clive Cussler seemed a bit wary of it, I wonder how readers of his work thought that it turned out?

Last edited:

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
The Book vs. the Movie

Unfortunately, the movie isn't worth it. It's hard compressing a large novel into a ninety minute movie. In fact, it's almost an art form to do it in a way the readers of the book don't feel cheated and those who haven't read the book enjoy it (and maybe want to buy the book). Jaws is an example of one that did that, to the point where the movie eclipsed the original thriller by Peter Benchley.

The Sahara movie writer actually turned a relatively minor subplot (the Civil War ironclad) into a major element of the story, and it caused the movie to end up not having a focus story. It could have been much, much better, and it's a shame because Shahara is the best of the books.