The Dambusters

Thesaintterrapin

Smoke me a Kipper!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the new Dambusters film directed by Peter Jackson could soon be going ahead soon.

The big controversial issue is, as those familiar with the true story and the 1950's original film, the name of Wing Commander Guy Gibson's dog, who's name was Ni**er.

It seems that this has been changed to Digger in the film, for the purpose of and i quote "not offending Americans".

I think although a highly offensive term, to use the original in this film would be appropraite.

Simply put it was the dogs name and also it was the code word used by the squadron to report back when a dam breach had been achieved.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
In trying to avoid offending one group of people it is so easy to offend another group. It also makes me wonder what else they are going to change and distort historical accuracy in the name of political correctness.

movieman

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
worldsunimagined.blogspot.com
It also makes me wonder what else they are going to change and distort historical accuracy in the name of political correctness.

From what I've read, this version is likely to be more historically accurate than the original. If nothing else, a lot of information was still classified at the time; Gibson's own book, for example, was cut by the censors and the full version was only released a few years ago.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I'm one of those who gets upset when people try to make Huckleberry Finn more "polite." But this instance disturbs me not at all. The use of that word is in no way intrinsic to the story or themes. If anything it reminds me of the original title of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.

So I say--let it go. Lets not get distracted.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Just to be clear, are we talking about the 1955 movie The Dam Busters?

I had that on my Netflix queue, but it suddenly was moved to the "Saved" queue, with "Availability Date Unknown". Maybe that means somebody stepped on the only disc they had in circulation.

So I've never actually seen the picture; but I know it was very influential. (Including being one of the influences for Star Wars. I've seen the Japanese movie The Hidden Fortress, which was also an inspiration for Lucas' movie.)

If the past were the same as now, it'd be the present. Anybody who's read stuff from the time knows that "nigger", for 1940's Brits, didn't have anything like the same effect it has for 21st century Americans. I'd leave it the way it is. But it's not important; no big deal if they do change it.

Just hope I get to see the original movie before the remake comes out!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've read, this version is likely to be more historically accurate than the original. If nothing else, a lot of information was still classified at the time; Gibson's own book, for example, was cut by the censors and the full version was only released a few years ago.

The uncensored edition was published in 2003 - 59 years after Gibson died.
Using Gibson’s original draft, the reprint restored elements originally omitted – such as Gibson’s views on fellow pilots and staff, air tactics and the deployment of Bomber Command.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Coast_Ahead

Film makers do not always keep to the 'script' and they do take liberties with facts to suit the film to the box office.

I'm one of those who gets upset when people try to make Huckleberry Finn more "polite." But this instance disturbs me not at all. The use of that word is in no way intrinsic to the story or themes. If anything it reminds me of the original title of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.

So I say--let it go. Lets not get distracted.

Possible not to the story but does it not give some insight into Wind Commander Gibson's mind set/personality/charecter which are, I would have thought, intrinsic to the film as a whole?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Possible not to the story but does it not give some insight into Wind Commander Gibson's mind set/personality/charecter which are, I would have thought, intrinsic to the film as a whole?

No, not as much it would now. If someone gave that name to their dog today, they would be blatantly racist. But back then, not so much. It didn't have the resonance here that it did in America. Mainly because we don't have the same history of immigration, slavery, civil rights etc as America.

But yeah, I think they should change it to Digger. The N-word carries far too much baggage for it not to be distracting in the new film.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Agreed, a harmless change that doesn't affect the story one iota.

In the UK, the original film is shown regularly, and the DVD has been given away as a freebie by newspapers in the past, so there are still plenty of copies around. :)

BTW, hard to imagine Peter Jackson sticking to original book details. All evidence to the contrary!

-Derek