Dangling Participle?

Elijah Sydney

Delusional and loving it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publisherlistings.com
“His shirt rippled and flailed when a gust of wind pressed his back, pushing the mist so that it flowed past him like a river.”

Is this an example of a dangling participle? As in, is it unclear what is pushing the mist? It seems fine to me, but then, I wrote it, and I know what I’m saying. I’m a bit keen on the construction because it contrasts the sentences around it, but if it just looks plain bad, I’ll scrap it.

Elijah
Eagerly awaiting any opinion.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it dangles at all.

Breaking it down:

His shirt did stuff. Why? The wind, which did its own stuff.

The last noun before the pushing-the-mist part was the wind, so it's perfectly clear that's what's pushing the mist.

Maryn, no good at mist-pushing

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On to the next sentence! (I swear, when I was trying to teach myself to write leaner, that's how I had to approach it.)

Maryn, cute in her cheerleader outfit*

* Not

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“His shirt rippled and flailed when a gust of wind pressed his back, pushing the mist so that it flowed past him like a river.”

Well . . . I knew what you meant but as written it means the shirt pushed the mist.

The first part is passive voice (not a sin, really) since his shirt is the recipient of the action of the wind, while the second part is active with the wind being the understood subject doing the action to the mist.

You communicated a vivid idea, and like I said I don't think passive voice is always a sin (although active voice should be considered before passive is used). If the surrounding sentences are constructed in the same way I think it can work very well.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Pushing the mist so that it flowed past him like a [a stone in a] river, a gust of wind pressed his back. Shirt rippled, flailed; [all just hollow noise in the decaying greyness]...

I think it just depends what effect you're after. But breaking it down would give you the opportunity to utitlise more of the sounds, as well as the sights, as well as shift your clauses around to try and get round the three things you have going on.

You 'past him like a river, yet he's in the mist, so the image would be more like water rushing round something. Maybe?

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Well . . . I knew what you meant but as written it means the shirt pushed the mist.
Yes, this.

The first part is passive voice
No, it isn't. "His shirt was rippled and flailed by the wind" would be passive voice. As written however, it's perfectly ordinary active voice.

I don't think passive voice is always a sin (although active voice should be considered before passive is used)
Agreed. Passive voice isn't a sin. Sometimes there are good reasons for using passive voice. It's only a problem when it's used unthinkingly and inappropriately.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I read it where this part is like its own sentence (I don't recall the term for that):

A gust of wind pressed his back, pushing the mist so that it flowed past him like a river.

Does 'when' not work well enough to break things down this way?

Elijah Sydney

Delusional and loving it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone for your time and thoughts.
But doesn’t the participle apply to the closest noun? The wind is closer. Though technically, as Dawnstorm said, it’s his back. Can anyone actually quote a hard and fast rule on that?
Anyway, maybe I’ll just go for a safer construction. Something close to this:
"A gust of wind pressed his back, making his shirt ripple and flail and pushing the mist so it flowed past him like a river."
Though I’m going to post the whole scene in SYW, anyway, so I might leave it for now, just to see if it gets a reaction there (amid hundreds of my other badly constructed sentences).

like a [a stone in a] river
I like where you took the simile. Can I borrow it? I’ll give it back when I’m finished, I promise.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But doesn’t the participle apply to the closest noun? The wind is closer. Though technically, as Dawnstorm said, it’s his back. Can anyone actually quote a hard and fast rule on that?

Not a hard and fast rule, but I would read the "when a gust of wind pressed his back" as an insertion describing when the shirt rippled, and the subject of the sentence (his shirt) is still doing the action after the comma. Now, had it said ". . . pressed his back, which pushed . . ." then it would be his back doing the action after the comma.

FennelGiraffe: Okay, maybe it's not as passive voice as it could be, but it's not as active voice as it could be either. Your rewording in passive voice is essentially how the sentence is written because his shirt is the passive recipient of what the wind is doing. A more active form would be "The wind rippled and flailed his shirt." I don't think the absence of "was" automatically makes it active voice (or at least not as active as it could be.)

Last edited:

Elijah Sydney

Delusional and loving it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, I surrender. The sentence has been officially withdrawn and reworded. If it’s drawing attention to itself, it’s not what I’m aiming for.

there must be ten ways of expressing this idea better, with less tormented and purple syntax.
Purple syntax? Interesting – never thought about syntax itself being purple, but I get your point. Ouch.