PDA

View Full Version : Publishing Possibility: Poe Tribute

jazzman99
09-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm a newbie here, so I hope I'm following the rules correctly. My apologies to the mods if this needs to be moved to another forum.

I saw this call for stories on another mailing list I'm on. I did a search and it doesn't seem to have been posted here, and I thought some folks might be interested. I'm definitely going to try to throw something together if I have time this month.

Here 'tis:

The Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum in Baltimore has lost its $80,000 per year
funding from the City of Baltimore. Literary Landmark Press is publishing an
anthology called The Spirit of Poe, all proceeds of which will go to the museum.
That's everything. All proceeds. Every cent above the costs of printing and
paying the contributors.

We are seeking short horror fiction up to 10,000 words. For this anthology,
we're looking for horror along the lines of Fall of the House of Usher or The
Telltale Heart, psychological and mysterious. Both of those short stories will
be in the anthology.

Contributors will receive payment of 5 cents per word for original, new fiction.
Reprints will be considered and will receive compensation of 2 cents per word.
Contributors will also receive one copy of the printed anthology and one
electronic copy. (Contributors are free to donate their earnings to the cause!)

Send submissions in word or rtf format to literarylandmark@ gmail.com (literarylandmark%40gmail.com).
Submissions will be accepted until October 1st. The anthology is scheduled for
publication on or about Halloween, 2011.

alleycat
09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Interesting, but I'm wondering how they're planning on accepting submissions until October 1 and publishing it on October 31. That is a quick turn-around in the wonderful world of publishing.

Thanks for the information.

Tienci
09-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Oooh, would love to. I have something that fits this already in the arsenal, but it's currently tied up with WotF of all markets, lol. Will submit if I get an R back from them in time!
Thanks jazzman99!

ETA website link for anyone else looking: http://literarylandmarkpress.blogspot.com/2011/09/our-first-anthology-spirit-of-poe.html

Prisoner24601
09-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Ah dang. I just submitted a story that would fit to a zine yesterday. If it comes back in time, I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for posting though!

Emptyeye
09-10-2011, 05:29 AM
I may have something for this, actually. I have a short story that has some Telltale Heart vibes to it. I'll have to clean it up and submit it. :)

Quantum1019
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I just sent mine in. It's a short I wrote a while ago and have been looking for an appropriate home for.

scottishpunk
09-22-2011, 04:04 AM
I sent in a story that I think fits Poe's focus on murder and madness. Muahahaha.

We'll see how this goes.

jazzman99
09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Got my own story in at 1:30 this morning, 4K words. Fingers crossed.

Stacia Kane
09-27-2011, 07:25 PM
This sucks. I was at the Poe house two years ago for the big Poe funeral event; it was a really cool thing, and it's awful that they lost their funding. :(

Wish I had something suitable to submit, but I don't, and I have two major deadlines over my head. :(

BrianJamesFreeman
09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Interesting, but I'm wondering how they're planning on accepting submissions until October 1 and publishing it on October 31. That is a quick turn-around in the wonderful world of publishing.

Thanks for the information.

That is indeed a surprisingly fast turnaround, but I wish them the best! With more time, I'd certainly submit something.

I'll have to ask them if they're going to send out review copies -- this is something I could cover at FEARnet.com to promote their cause.

Brian

ShyWriter
10-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I just sent something in (talk about cutting it close!). Regardless if I'm accepted or not, I do plan on purchasing a copy or two. I love Poe, he's one of my literary idols. It's so sad that they want to take away such a large part of American history.

BrianJamesFreeman
10-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I've been in touch with Jerry Wright, the man behind this project, for our article about the book.

In case this helps anyone submitting at the last second, or someone who wasn't going to submit because you didn't think your story was a good fit, here's something mentioned that might be helpful:

"We've done our best to choose stories not because of a direct link to the style or themes of Poe but to offer a somewhat wide-reaching look at horror in general, believing as we do that Poe dramatically influenced every aspect of the horror genre."

Brian

MJM
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
In case this helps anyone submitting at the last second, or someone who wasn't going to submit because you didn't think your story was a good fit, here's something mentioned that might be helpful:

Folks might want to keep an eye on this project. Check their blog & FB page for updates: they're in process with the FIRST anthology, but may well do more. Some of us who didn't get into the first volume MAY be contacted re: another volume, and there could be calls for more submissions. Given how fast the turn-around is on this one, and the great support they have received, this could become a very note-worthy credit for writers. (I've been given the go-ahead to sub a rewrite/revision of my story for further consideration -- no promises of acceptance, but still kinda cool.)

Cindyh2k
10-14-2011, 03:24 AM
This sounds awesome! I love Poe and would love a chance to help support the museum. I think I will get something together for the 2nd (hope?!?) anthology so that I will be prepared.

jazzman99
10-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Folks might want to keep an eye on this project. Check their blog & FB page for updates: they're in process with the FIRST anthology, but may well do more. Some of us who didn't get into the first volume MAY be contacted re: another volume, and there could be calls for more submissions. Given how fast the turn-around is on this one, and the great support they have received, this could become a very note-worthy credit for writers. (I've been given the go-ahead to sub a rewrite/revision of my story for further consideration -- no promises of acceptance, but still kinda cool.)

Since I haven't heard anything about my submission, I'm assuming I'm still being considered for the possible second volume. I hope to hear if they're definitely going through with that soon.

ShyWriter
10-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I guess this is one of those times when no news is good news?

MJM
10-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I guess this is one of those times when no news is good news?

Facebook post on Tuesday said "By the end of this week (sunday) we'll have communication to everyone."

Cindyh2k
10-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Good luck to you all!

scottishpunk
10-17-2011, 11:28 PM
So It's Monday, and I haven't heard back yet. Anyone else?

jazzman99
10-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Crickets here.

ShyWriter
10-18-2011, 06:25 AM
So It's Monday, and I haven't heard back yet. Anyone else?

Nope.

mshaw2268
10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
I sent in a poem while the process was still in the early stages and heard back within a week. Got rejected because not a good fit but requested to see what else I might have. Sent that in and still haven't heard back.

I'm guessing they might be feeling the crunch of that super-close deadline.