PDA

View Full Version : Transfering patients in a coma

CelesteBC
09-08-2011, 12:52 AM
One of the characters in my novel had an accident that put him in a coma while on vacation in Maine. In my rough drafts (which is as far as I've gotten so far) I have him in a hospital in Boston, where his family lives and the story takes place. It has recently occurred to me that interstate transfers of comatose patients might not be realistic. If it matters, his condition is currently stable, but not improving. In these circumstances, is it feasible that he would be moved to a hospital in Boston or would his family have to visit him in Maine?

alleycat
09-08-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm certainly no expert, but comatose patients are transferred all the time (often to receive better medical care at another hospital). I live in a city that's a regional medical center (Nashville); people are sent here all the time from places such as Alabama and Kentucky.

When this is done a private ambulance service is often use unless it's a life-threatening emergency.

Again, I'm not an expert. Someone else might have better information.

Orianna2000
09-08-2011, 01:51 AM
When this is done a private ambulance service is often use unless it's a life-threatening emergency.

I'm no expert either, but this is what I was going to say. I'm pretty sure they transport them by ambulance (without the flashing lights) to wherever they need to go, provided they're stable.

GeorgeK
09-08-2011, 04:45 AM
I've ordered some of those transfers. All you need is a physician on one end saying the patient is stable and one on the other end to assume care upon arrival. You'd want an ambulance crew that can intubate in transfer should the patient deteriorate, or have the patient already intubated if they aren't breathing on their own, so they need to be actual paramedics and not just cousin Billybob in his painted station wagon.

CelesteBC
09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Thank you, that is very helpful.