When to realize that you need a new literary agent?

buxfan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.NewBabyProductions.com
Hello. I have an issue that I hope the rest of you can provide some input on.

I signed with a literary agent earlier this year for our graphic novel project. Out of professional courtesy, I will not name him here. About three months ago, I sent him a bunch of materials (preview copies, etc.) to help him in pitch the properties to publishers. In the last month, I have emailed him several times asking him if there was any update that I could pass along to my team, never receiving any update on his progress.

I did receive a couple of responses; once when I let him know that I was being interviewed for an upcoming issue of WIRED magazine, and a very negative note when I sent him a Twitter message asking if he was getting my emails.

I am very respectful of a person's time, especially if that person is out there trying to make me money. So I don't expect immediate responses to my emails. But this agent spends a lot of time on Twitter, so I find it very hard to believe that he is too busy to just send me a quick note about news (positive, negative, or lack thereof) that he may have.

So, should I just give up and start my search for another agent? Or am I being too demanding? All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
If your agent can't even respond to a clients emails then there is something wrong.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
You're not being too demanding at all. If I were in your shoes, I'd be having a serious heart-to-heart with my agent right about now, and looking at how to sever the contract in case he doesn't shape up. Several months is an absurd time to hear back, and that kind of negative negative response when you were just trying to see if your e-mails hadn't disappeared into the ether isn't cool, either.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what everyone else said. Your his client. It's not too demanding to ask for an update.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Be sure you completely sever the relationship (per your contract) before starting your new agent search. You don't want to come across as anything but professional in this.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
And if you know any good agents out there repping graphic novels, please send them my way. :)
You've looked in the Comics and Graphic Novels forum here, right? AWer "elae" maintains a list of agents who rep graphic novels.

Also, if you have a subscription to Publishers Marketplace, you can just search on Graphic Novel deals and see who's been repping them.

buxfan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.NewBabyProductions.com
You've looked in the Comics and Graphic Novels forum here, right? AWer "elae" maintains a list of agents who rep graphic novels.
Yes, that was actually a list that I consulted when initially querying agents.
Also, if you have a subscription to Publishers Marketplace, you can just search on Graphic Novel deals and see who's been repping them.
I didn't think of that. Thanks for the info.

JohnAtPlotForge

Ask me about plot. I'm the best.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.PlotForge.com
You need a new agent when the old one isn't doing anything. I had to fire my first agent. It was a few years ago and I'm still looking for a new one. But remember, the wrong agent is worse than no agent.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I would also recommend, if you don't mind, that if you do sever the contract with this agent and move on, you leave a note in the Bewares and Background Checks section of this forum about your experience. This is the sort of information that most of us are looking for when we're trying to decide whether or not an agent is worth our time.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I know it's hard to go public with problems like these, but it's good for other writers to know. Thanks for sharing -- and good luck finding a new agent! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Leaving an agent with a book on submission is not an easy thing to do. Sometimes, it's just got to be done, though. I'll be wishing you a speedy next chapter.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, and to think they were one of the agencies near the top of my list. Good thing I landed elsewhere.

You should forward your story to Victoria Strauss. She keeps a collection of these anecdotes and is THE source to go to for agency information.