PDA

View Full Version : What kind of glasses do cool nerdy writers wear?

Kitty Pryde
09-07-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm direly needing some new glasses. I was thinking about nerd glasses because they seem to be really trendy right now. But my partner informs me that nerd glasses are cool for cool people to wear, but ACTUAL nerds should avoid wearing nerd glasses, because they're just nerdy, and try to get some cool glasses. I don't understand! Darn you hipsters making me confused!

But anyways. I desire to be a cool writer nerd. Advise me please! Cat eyes? Nerd glasses/aka hipster glasses/aka birth control glasses? Rectangular frames? Frameless? Also, here are some bananas.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Allen R. Brady
09-07-2011, 06:33 AM
I wear frameless, because they don't obstruct my peripheral vision as much. When you're trying on frames in the store, pay a LOT more attention to what your field of view looks like than what you look like in the mirror. It's easy to forget that you will be looking at your glasses a lot more than anyone else will.

Cliff Face
09-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I recommend these (http://www.freakingnews.com/Cool-Glasses-Pics-25126.asp).

:)

rhymegirl
09-07-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't know if my regular glasses are cool or not.

But my prescription sunglasses are pretty cool, I think.

BenPanced
09-07-2011, 06:52 AM
The ones that help me see better my dear.

thothguard51
09-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Rose colored of course...

Shadow_Ferret
09-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Hemingway (http://eyeglasses.go-optic.com/store/eyeglasses/details.asp?id=52206http://), of course.

rhymegirl
09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
But anyways. I desire to be a cool writer nerd. Advise me please! Cat eyes? Nerd glasses/aka hipster glasses/aka birth control glasses? Rectangular frames? Frameless?:

What are birth control glasses?

I think maybe I wore them in high school.

Chris P
09-07-2011, 07:00 AM
*removes glasses and looks at the bows*

All the cool nerds wear Foster Grant "Spare Pair" +1.50 readers. They have no frames, the bows and the bridge are held on by holes drilled through the lenses. About $15 at Walgreens, so they are sensible as well as oh-so stylish.

FabricatedParadise
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
It really just depends on your face shape. If you have a round face, don't get big round frames (they'll make you look like an insect, trust me). If you have an oval or round face, cat eyes look fantastic. Square IMHO work better with squarer faces.

The nerd glasses are ok if they are slightly bigger than your face and you get them in an awesome color like purple or teal.

If you want a standard looks-good-on-just-about-anyone and are cool, but not so cool they'll be out of style in 6mos, go for the standard oval with a thin black or dark brown rim.

Eden, who is a huge nerd and wears the oval with a black rim :)

Chris P
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Glasses so ugly nobody will sleep with you. I think Foster Grant "Spare Pair" +1.50 readers qualifies if my experience is any indication.

FabricatedParadise
09-07-2011, 07:04 AM
IMO birthcontrol glasses are those giganto ones that little old ladies wear with the neck chain.

Kitty Pryde
09-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Yeah, glasses so unattractive that no one will sleep with you. Google image search "raphael saadiq"--he rocks the birth control glasses on the regular and looks pretty cool IMO (and hot).

Alessandra Kelley
09-07-2011, 07:16 AM
IMO birthcontrol glasses are those giganto ones that little old ladies wear with the neck chain.

Lol. About ten years ago I grabbed almost the last pair of giant round sunglasses on the rack at Target because little flat squinty rectangle glasses were coming into fashion and I needed them (with the lenses popped out) for my Agatha Heterodyne costume.

Oh gods, that was ten years ago. O.o

rhymegirl
09-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Yeah, glasses so unattractive that no one will sleep with you. Google image search "raphael saadiq"--he rocks the birth control glasses on the regular and looks pretty cool IMO (and hot).

I googled him. Yeah, those are some glasses!

The Kidd
09-07-2011, 07:40 AM
My fake glasses I wear to trick myself into thinking I'm more intellectual are black and square :)

Just preference. I think black glasses with square frames are cool.

JSDR
09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a pair of black plastic burberry glasses. and a pair of black plastic furlas. Both are round-cornered rectangular. And yes, people ask me if I'm a librarian....

ETA: I get plastic frames because I often fall asleep reading. They have been the most resillient type. And black, so they match everything.

Diana_Rajchel
09-08-2011, 04:29 AM
I wear the glasses that my insurance allows me to purchase. I'm much too cool to worry about what's cool. ;) Also, I just want to make sure I'm still legally allowed to drive. Public safety and all that.

Chris1981
09-08-2011, 04:46 AM

The other answers are good, but I usually hear the term referring to military-issue prescription glasses. They're very ugly, but sturdy, which is the important thing for Basic/Boot.

My non-prescription, rose-tinted aviator sunglasses might or might not be cool, but they help a *lot* with migraines, especially when I have to be around fluorescent lights. :)

Cliff Face
09-08-2011, 05:29 AM
*points at Sarah's Daria avatar*

We should all totally wear Daria glasses. It's basically a Driver's License for the Sarcasm Society!

*puts down a downpayment*

Smish
09-08-2011, 05:33 AM
I wear the cheapest pair from Wal-Mart.

I rarely wear them outside the privacy of my own home, but every time I do (because I've dropped a contact, or am too tired to wear my contacts, or whatever), people tell me I look cute in glasses. ;)

So, just get a pair that's comfortable on your face. :D

Cliff Face
09-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I wear cheap glasses. I got 2 pairs for about $5. :D

(Granted, they were 2 for $155, but I had health insurance which covers optical.)

BenPanced
09-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Highball.

And for special occasions, pilsner and martini.

Kitty Pryde
09-08-2011, 06:07 AM
So apparently I have a strangely shaped face so I went with...the only pair at Costco that didn't look stupid on me! Thick black framed cateyes-ish, very librarian-like (I wish I was cool enough to be a librarian!) and suitably nerdy. Or perhaps more adorkable...

FabricatedParadise
09-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Do we get to see? I'll show you mine if you show me yours! :D

STKlingaman
09-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Ones they can see the keyboard with?

JSDR
09-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the sexy (pseudo)librarians club!

Kitty Pryde
09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Yes, I will post pics. In two weeks when I finally get them! I think they outsource to the planet Saturn for their glasses or something.

JSDR
09-08-2011, 08:15 AM
That's really weird. When I got my furla's, it only took about a week.

Zelenka
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I have two pairs now, my light frame (pink) Armani ones that have no coating for indoors. They're better for writing because the frame is like wire within a plastic coating so you can barely feel you're wearing them (and since I have sinus problems, any pressure at all on the bridge of my nose can be agony). They're oval frame ones. Can't wear frameless as they make me look really weird with my face shape, just don't suit me.

My outdoor ones, they're big hefty black plastic frames with reactalight lenses, but I got them because I was quitting my job, and had only a few months to spend my opticians' allowance I got on the health plan. So they were 380 and Prada. At least now I own one thing that is Prada. But they're too heavy to wear all the time.

backslashbaby
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
I can't wait to see them :D They sound awesome.

I always pick your basic vaguely John Lennonny glasses with whatever frame looks best with my coloring and is on sale.

(And it never fails that when I see my brother, who looks just like a male me in a different color, he has bought the same pair of glasses. Our prescription is the same too. So odd.)

Kitty Pryde
09-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Got em! Only took nine days too. Piccy here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.911193034693.2374373.218368&l=804b3f39c1&type=1 Can click to embiggen.

I'm happy with them. They suit me better than my other pair (which I think I got like nine years ago mumble mumble). And I can like...see stuff! And then write about! Thus it shall improve my writing! (Did I mention I was ocean swimming with my little nephew and he kept asking "What is that? What is that? What's floating out there? Is it a dog?" and I told him there was nothing but, umm, actually it was six seals swimming like REALLY HELLA CLOSE TO US. In conclusion, hurray new glasses!

Snitchcat
09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Very nice glasses!

sadron
09-16-2011, 10:37 AM
I have classes but not using them. My flower shop mentor called my classes as "Sci-Fi" classes tho, when she saw them. :D