Deckle Edge. Yay or nay?

Deckle Edge - yay or nay?

• I like the look.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • I dislike the look.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • What the hell is deckle edge?

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I like putting my fingers in wall sockets.

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Up until about twenty minutes ago, I'd never heard of Deckle edge book printing. Apparently those rough edged pages in the Drizzt hardbacks I own are done to make it look handmade. I just thought they were badly made. :tongue

So, what's your opinion on the technique? Love it? Loath it? Would you want your book printed using it? Let's have us a talk! :D

Linky for those who think I'm a little drunk. And here's the Wiki link.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's often used for reprints of classic. If it's done well I like it.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
With a fancy cover or binding, I like it, but in the case of the hardbacks I have with perfect binding and covers, it looks out of place to me. Hence me not realising it was an intentional design thing, I guess. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably find a deckle edge a bit pretension for a new release. It wouldn't really bother me however.

Along this same line . . .

I have a book of the complete plays of Shakespeare. It's hardback with some kind of textured surface. It feels like it's sticking to your hands when you hold it (like someone had actually spilled something sticky all over it; you almost have to "pull" you hands away). I can't stand it.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Bleh! I wouldn't be a fan of that either. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the only book I've ever seen quite like that.

Reaction score
I would prefer a heckled edge book. Every time you open it, it insults you.

"You're shit! You can't read! Boo!"

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
"Call that a bookmark?!"

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Never encourage Scarletpeaches. ;)

*Puts a hand over the post where he encouraged her.*

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I deal with deckle edged art papers. It's meant to look like the paper is handmade, thus fancy and expensive. They're pretty, but I find them a nuisance in books. Depending on the book, I like to riffle through pages and go back and forth. Deckle edges can make that difficult. As a bit of a paper snob I am aware of what true deckle edges look like and what the difference is, but that's really obscure knowledge.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think any publisher ever used Deckle Edge because anyone liked it. It's simply a much cheaper way of printing a book, and goes back to a time when you had to cut the pages of a book apart with a knife before reading it.

After enough time passed, deckle edge came to be thought of as showing the book, or stationery, was handmade. Well, handmade is always better than machine made, right?

In this case, no. Deckle edge is harder to read, tears much easier, and doesn't last as long, which is why you almost always see it on book club editions of novels.

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
Up until about twenty minutes ago, I'd never heard of Deckle edge book printing. Apparently those rough edged pages in the Drizzt hardbacks I own are done to make it look handmade. I just thought they were badly made. :tongue

So, what's your opinion on the technique? Love it? Loath it? Would you want your book printed using it? Let's have us a talk! :D

Linky for those who think I'm a little drunk. And here's the Wiki link.

Oh, so it was intentional, huh? I thought the same as you that my poor Drizzt was being insulted by poor craftsmanship.

Deleted member 42

It's not appropriate for all books; the paper is thicker, and can be a problem with binding. You have to use slightly different kinds of inks in some printers because the paper is very absorbent.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I didn't know it had a name, but meh, I don't go for that business. If I wanted my books to "look" old, well shit, I'd buy an old book.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's not appropriate for all books; the paper is thicker, and can be a problem with binding. You have to use slightly different kinds of inks in some printers because the paper is very absorbent.

Ohh, right. It's absorbent sort of as a consequence of how it's made. I mean real deckle edges. But even fake deckles have to be on a slightly softer, more absorbent paper or they'll just look like scrapbook pinking shears got at them.

Watercolor paper often has deckle edges, but it's so thick and soft and absorbent it's practically felt.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I didn't know it had a name, but meh, I don't go for that business. If I wanted my books to "look" old, well shit, I'd buy an old book.

As far as I can tell the better quality of old book had carefully squared, cut paper edges, not deckles. To be even more fancy, the edges were gilded or painted with a little scene -- can't do that on deckle edges!

Deleted member 42

Deckle paper was used on chap books, for instance, and small print runs of hand-set lead type books that had engravings. It really was meant to suggest "hand made" and old, as in incunabula.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the look of deckled edges, but my problem with them is that it's distracting. Every time I turn the page, the uneven edge bushes over my finger pads, and for a split second, I'm distracted from what I was reading. I thought I'd get used to it further into the book, but not.

It's maddening.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I checked "don't like the look" but I do like it on a small book like a chapbook. On a regular mass-market book, I think it's usually pretentious faux-Renaissance crappitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.