What do you think of the Flash Fiction forum challenge?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Flash Fortnight has been running for a few months now, and I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it, or has any suggestions they'd like to make for it.

For example, does the length of it suit you? Would you prefer it to be 7 days, rather than 14?

Would a different type of prompt work better for you? One-word prompts, maybe, or prompts that fit a certain theme, or genre?

The September challenge is due to start on the 15th. I'm happy to introduce in it any changes that people would like to see. Or we could continue with it as it is. Please let me know! :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, I did the first two, but then real life intervened for the last couple of months.

Both times I did them all, by the end I was pretty much ready to stop, so the length of it seemed OK for me. Although a week would be easier, especially when I have other things to write or finish or whatever.

The type of prompts I like best are title prompts. But that's just me.

Hope this helps.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, I did the first two, but then real life intervened for the last couple of months.

Both times I did them all, by the end I was pretty much ready to stop, so the length of it seemed OK for me. Although a week would be easier, especially when I have other things to write or finish or whatever.

The type of prompts I like best are title prompts. But that's just me.

Hope this helps.

I've only done the August challenge, but so far the length suits me fine.

Like Lillie, I prefer titles.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your replies, Lillie, sammyjwebb and Archerbird!

I will keep the length as it is, for now, then.

Lillie and Archerbird: just to be clear, by "title" prompts, do you mean existing titles that you can write your own story to, or made up titles? (Or both?)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I meant like you give me a title, I don't care where it comes from and I really rather not know, and I write a story to that title.

In the end I might end up changing the title anyway, depending on how the story goes, but usually I don't.

I don't know why, but I find titles more inspiring and less limiting than other kinds of prompt.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy the prompts now and look forward to having more of them. The only ones I find I can't use are the more specific ones. Very general scenarios are the best for me, with no specifications on the types of people/places involved, just situational stuff. Not sure if that makes sense haha....

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Less specific situations, and more title prompts. Noted! Thank you, everyone. :)

The next challenge begins on Thursday! I hope you're all warming up your writing muscles. :)

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
I've only completed a few of the prompts in the past - September will (here's hoping) be my first time to complete the full fortnight.

I like the prompts we've seen, and am open to any type of prompt. I don't have a preference at this point. I'm not sure about the length of the challenge, but I'll comment after I've finished this full fortnight.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't completed the full fortnight, but I've written several stories from the prompts.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I haven't completed a full two week challenge either, but I have used the prompts. Whether the prompts are a title, a general idea, or something specific doesn't matter to me at all - what I care about is if it sparks an idea. :)

Given that there seems to be a bit of a diversity in what's wanted, why not do some of each kind during the two weeks?