Exciting purchases!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I don't recall ever seeing a thread about this subject, and I thought I'd just go ahead and get the ball rolling.

Exciting purchases! What has given you a huge smile, a gem in the rough, or maybe something everyday that has given you a lifetime of enjoyment?

I ask because today I found something that had me gibbering like an idiot.

A first edition hardcover copy of The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams, all the way from England! It's in near-pristine condition (a little wear on the corners of the cover, but not really damaged).

I had to buy it.

Douglas Adams is by far my favourite author. Besides, the only other copy of Long Dark that I've ever seen (and bought, as it happens) was a tatty old paperback that was in poor condition when I found it, and got worse when I tried to remove the hideous sticker on the back that the second-hand dealer had slapped on there. Hello big rip. :(

But this new shiny copy made me very happy. :)

In the same little book shop there were the first 3 Hitch-Hiker's novels (not first edition, but pretty old) that had been stamp-signed by Douglas Adams. Like, not a "Oh hello, yes I'll sign your book, got a pen?" sort of thing - just an ink stamp sort of deal. They were quite possibly printed that way, though I can't be sure.

The set cost $240. So sad. I can't afford that. :(

But I'm definitely going back to that book shop some day.

So - what purchases have been memorable for you? Do you collect things? Found a first edition book by your favourite author?

I'd love to hear about it. :)

Deleted member 42

Cliff, Doug was exceedingly courteous, and signed lots and lots of books.

If you look at sites like ABE (Advanced Book Exchange) and search for Signed (go to advanced search) there are lots of fairly affordable signed hardcovers. Even outside of the U.S. and in the UK and Oz.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I did not know that...

It'd still be out of my price range right now, unfortunately, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

I can see it now - 15 years from now I'll have about 25 copies of Hitch-Hiker's and no money left. :tongue

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's not as big as all that, but every time I see it, I'm pleased at my luck.

I browsed the used books at the local Barnes & Noble and saw the complete set of Otherland novels. I'd borrowed and enjoyed the first one, but I took so long the owner was reluctant to let me have the next one, and my silly library owns only books one and four.

Two bucks each, and I have the complete set. No sign anybody ever read 'em, either.

Maryn, who likes seeing whole sets on the shelf

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
On that link Cliff...it says how much for shipping but not the price of the books?.....Did I run by that part?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
About 12 years ago I was taking a short cut through a book shop in London and as I had time to spare I popped up to see what was new in the Shakespeare dept. Sitting on the counter was a facsimile First Folio of the works. Hard back and in a slip case. This was the week after my birthday and I had been given lots of book tokens and some cash as presents. I was able to buy the book and I can remember sitting on the bus hugging it. It lives in front of the bookcases that house my Shakespeare books and it gives me a warm feeling to know that I have it. It is also a joy to read and look at - much better than the paperback version which has a mind of its' own!

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a first book club edition hardback of HHGTTG back in the UK. They're pretty common (you can grab 'em for the price of a modern hardback), but I still love it to pieces. :D

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hardcover of Long dark tea time of the soul too and I think it may even be signed (if I remember rightly...). Got it for £3 from a bookshop in Newcastle many years ago. Just occured to me it may be worth more now that he has (unfortunately) died.

I do like signed editions. Recently got a signed copy of American Gods (have a few signed copies of other Gaiman stuff too, from when he did tour in the UK) but also have David Gemmel, Terry Pratchet (again from a tour many years ago) and Michael Moorcock. My copy of Elric of Melnibone is a 1972 hardcover edition which i found in a second book shop and got signed when he visited Newcastle in 1992. When he saw the edition he was surprised and quite pleased to see such an old copy in good condition.

I used to have copies of the first two red Dwarf books that had been signed by both Rob Grant and Doug Naylor but they seem to have vanished somewhere. I suspect someone may have borrowed them and I have forgotten who...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not in the best condition, but I just found a copy of the first edition of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City trade edition, with the wraparound cover featuring a map of 1977 San Francisco. I thought I'd bought one earlier this spring but the seller had put a picture of the wrong cover on the listing; the picture was for the first trade but they sent a copy of the second trade (graciously refunded the purchase price).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200645687885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_967

I also recently bought a special edition they'd printed just for the world premiere of the musical that played earlier this summer. I need another edition of that book like I need another hole in my head.

But I'm still waiting for the e-pub release later this year/early next of the rest of his series. *squee!*

I was at a garage sale with some friends and found two books by Vincent Price for $1. I quickly paid for them and scampered out. I wasn't sure if the sellers knew about it or they just wanted to get rid of them, but the books were personally autographed by Price himself. These weren't "All my best, Vincent Price". They're autographed to somebody and mention a trip to Mexico. All this for $1!