PDA

View Full Version : The Strange Happenings Thread

Susan Littlefield
09-04-2011, 03:33 AM
Soooo....today has been one of those offbeat days. This morning, I went to the Hospice store, which sells used items. All volunteers there, and the proceeds go to Hospice.

I find five hardbacks I like. I saw the sign- one dollar apiece.

I go to pay for them, and he starts to charge me $2 apiece. I tell him the price, he closes the register, and steps back to look. He comes back, rings up so that it come to five dollars, hits return and the amount comes up:

$2,140.37.

No kidding.

I told him that was an awful lot to pay for five books and he agreed, voided the transaction, and started over. Once the transaction is done for the correct amount, he shuts the money drawer and turns to reach for a bag. The money drawer shoots right back open.

I think I've been watching too much Ghost Whisperer, 'cause I think this guy is haunted.

An weird happenings in your life that kind of make you take pause?

Cliff Face
09-04-2011, 08:29 AM
The weirdest thing that's happened to me this week was seeing a $20 note flutter by on the wind when I was waiting for the bus, and none of the 4 people at the bus stop (myself included) making a mad scramble to pick it up.

Your weird thing wins though. :)

Susan Littlefield
09-05-2011, 01:23 AM
$20 huh? It's amazing everyone just let it go by. I bet the person who was meant to get it did.

The strange happenings did not stop with the incident yesterday morning. Last night, after Don and I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes, we went to our car in the parking garage. We were parked next to some guy who had his trunk open, some nervous looking woman sitting in the front seat (she looked high too). Well, we thought maybe something was wrong and they needed help, so Don asked. It wasn't so much in what the guy said, but his behavior was very suspicious. We got out of there quick.

Cliff Face
09-05-2011, 02:49 AM
I thought you were going to say "his trunk was open, and there was a bound and gagged woman inside it."

Now that would've been weird! (And a reason to call the Cops while running as far away as possible.)

Susan Littlefield
09-05-2011, 04:00 AM
We took a guess as to what he had back there, and decided to flee quickly. :D

Maryn
09-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Ooh, strange happening indeed. Mr. Maryn dumped a can of soup into a pan and spilled quite a bit--and cleaned it up reasonably well without being asked to.

Eerie!

(Sorry, but at our house, any mess he makes which reaches the floor is instantly invisible. Weird, huh?)

I had a similar incident to your overpriced books. At my grocery store, you weigh and label your produce yourself (although if you forget, the cashier does it without comment). I had a nice bunch of celery and a sticky key on "How Many?" which took it to 1111, making my total celery purchase $2544.19. I thought it would be great to print that label up and use it, but the machine was programed by someone without my sense of humor.

Maryn, who doesn't like celery quite that much

Susan Littlefield
09-05-2011, 04:12 AM
Maryn,

Love it that Mr. Maryn cleaned up his mess. Mr. Don is sometime good at cleaning up his messes.:D

Yep, that's awful expensive celery. Hope you enjoyed it!

backslashbaby
09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
The apples at the store were priced wrong, so that the per pound price was applied to each apple. It took forever to convince the checkout lady that they didn't cost that much each.

Dad also took out my trash bags for me, which is an odd happening indeed ;) I asked him (nicely) the day or two before, but it's not like that usually has any effect!

Shakesbear
09-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I used to volunteer at the refreshment area of a local nature reserve. One quiet Sunday morning four people came in and ordered four coffees and four cakes. I knew it would come to 12.00. I rang the items up and the wonderful cash register totalled up the items to 240,000. I voided the sale and did it again - this time it told me that the total was 12p! Yeh.

Susan Littlefield
09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks for more odd happenings! :D

Cliff Face
09-06-2011, 08:42 AM
How's this for strange? I went to the shops today and spent less than $10!

*gasp* I couldn't believe it either!

flea23
09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
This is a daily occurrence with me. i get out of bed and immediately get tired. When I go to bed, I immediately wake up. is it old age or spooks in the house.

I hear noises, get up to investigate, and find it's a groaning refrigerator. Now come on. What does a refrigerator have to groan about?

lastlittlebird
09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
As I was wandering around town today, looking for a baby shower gift, a man, who had been walking in front of me, dashed sideways.
He ducked as though he was crouch-walking behind some bushes (there were no bushes) and then hid behind the column of a building. As I walked past, I could see him peering across the street from behind his pillar.
There were a few people across the street staring at his strange behavior (which was pretty damn noticeable), but I don't know which of them he was trying to avoid!

It's probably bad that my first thought was "Yay! I finally have something to put into The Strange Happenings Thread!"
:D

Susan Littlefield
09-09-2011, 07:41 AM
How's this for strange? I went to the shops today and spent less than $10!

*gasp* I couldn't believe it either!

For me, it would be strange to spend more than $10.00. I am such a frugal shopper.

Susan Littlefield
09-09-2011, 07:42 AM
This is a daily occurrence with me. i get out of bed and immediately get tired. When I go to bed, I immediately wake up. is it old age or spooks in the house.

I hear noises, get up to investigate, and find it's a groaning refrigerator. Now come on. What does a refrigerator have to groan about?

Mmmmm, wonder if you're a night person and just don't know it. Could be old age, though, depending on your age. I will be 50 soon, and my sleep patterns have changed.

The fridge might be groaning because it's getting old too. It might need some TLC.

Susan Littlefield
09-09-2011, 07:45 AM
As I was wandering around town today, looking for a baby shower gift, a man, who had been walking in front of me, dashed sideways.
He ducked as though he was crouch-walking behind some bushes (there were no bushes) and then hid behind the column of a building. As I walked past, I could see him peering across the street from behind his pillar.
There were a few people across the street staring at his strange behavior (which was pretty damn noticeable), but I don't know which of them he was trying to avoid!

It's probably bad that my first thought was "Yay! I finally have something to put into The Strange Happenings Thread!"

That's hilarious! The poor guy probably has not idea what is doing or why he is doing it.

There is a lady in the area where I work who used to recite plays or whatever in the town square...only, her audience is imaginary. The few of us who in the square used to not pay much attention. After all, it was her reality.

lastlittlebird
09-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I hope the imaginary audience appreciates her plays :)

Cliff Face
09-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Maybe you just couldn't see the cameras that were hidden in the buildings around the square? ;)

Susan Littlefield
09-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I hope the imaginary audience appreciates her plays :)

Maybe you just couldn't see the cameras that were hidden in the buildings around the square? ;)

This was last summer when I would see her all the time. I have not seen her at all this summer. I wonder what ever happened to her. I was pretty entertained. You never another person's reality unless you walk in their shoes.

writerterri
09-09-2011, 09:23 PM
While at the check out in our favorite grocery store the checker ran a refillable bottle with a lid over the bar code reader and set it down so we could bag it. I was bagging groceries and saw the plastic cover to the lid pop off and hit the other register and bounce back into my view on the floor.

The cashier asked me if I just saw what she saw. I said yep, I sure did. I checked the bottle and the lid was secure and there was no reason why the cap popped off like that. And it made such a popping noise too. Neither one of us banged it. It was sitting there by it's self waiting to be bagged and the cashier was busy with coupons.

I wondered out loud if I should give it an exorcism before I bring it into the house and she laughed.

It was pretty strange.

AndreF
09-09-2011, 10:17 PM
My kitchen ceiling fan shot a light bulb at me.

writerterri
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM

This belongs in a thread of things that suck.

;)

Goldenleaves
09-09-2011, 10:35 PM
My son in law took out the trash, my daughter did the dishes and their bedroom is tidy while mine is a tip.

My mother gave me a compliment.

I thought I heard a bird actually say "It's going to rain any minute now" while the sky was clear - and it started to rain three minutes later.

All kinds of weirdness going down.

Jess Haines
09-09-2011, 11:45 PM
This thread sort of puts me in mind of this old joke.

AN IRISH GHOST STORY

This story happened a while ago in Dublin, and even though it sounds like an Alfred Hitchcock tale, it's true.

John Bradford, a Dublin University student, was on the side of the road hitchhiking on a very dark night and in the midst of a storm.

The night was rolling on and no car went by. The storm was so strong he could hardly see a few feet ahead of him. Suddenly, he saw a car slowly come toward him and stop. John, desperate for shelter and without thinking about it, got into the car and closed the door... only to realize there was nobody behind the wheel and the engine wasn't on!!

The car started moving slowly. John looked at the road ahead and saw a curve approaching. Scared, he started to pray, begging for his life. Then, just before the car hit the curve, a hand appeared through the window and turned the wheel. John, paralyzed with terror, watched as the hand repeatedly came through the window, but never touched or harmed him.

Shortly thereafter John saw the lights of a pub appear down the road, so, gathering strength, he jumped out of the car and ran to it. Wet and out of breath, he rushed inside and started telling everybody about the horrible experience he had just had.

A silence enveloped the pub when everybody realized he was crying and...wasn't drunk.

Suddenly, the door opened, and two other people walked in from the stormy night. They, like John, were also soaked and out of breath. Looking around, and seeing John Bradford sobbing at the bar, one said to the other...

"Look, Paddy... there's that f***ing idiot who got in the car while we were pushing it!!"

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 06:16 AM
While at the check out in our favorite grocery store the checker ran a refillable bottle with a lid over the bar code reader and set it down so we could bag it. I was bagging groceries and saw the plastic cover to the lid pop off and hit the other register and bounce back into my view on the floor.

The cashier asked me if I just saw what she saw. I said yep, I sure did. I checked the bottle and the lid was secure and there was no reason why the cap popped off like that. And it made such a popping noise too. Neither one of us banged it. It was sitting there by it's self waiting to be bagged and the cashier was busy with coupons.

I wondered out loud if I should give it an exorcism before I bring it into the house and she laughed.

It was pretty strange.

LOL, it's funny when things like that happen, because you just don't know why or how it happened.

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 06:17 AM

How in the heck did that happen?

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Goldenleaves: yeah, some weirdness going around.

Jess, GREAT joke!

swachski
09-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I am not a nap person, but today I was so exhausted that I thought I'd rest on the couch for a few minutes. The next thing I knew I was walking down a grocery store aisle and I saw an elderly friend looking at labels. She looked up and smiled at me, then I remembered she had passed away the year before so I knew that I was dreaming. (Yes, I realized this while I was still dreaming.) I ran down the hall to hug her and I woke up. I wish I had had more time to visit with her.

I just realized that the theme of this thread has been about weirdness while shopping. That's a strange coincidence.

Cliff Face
09-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Strangely enough, I was in a shop today where there were no staff members except the people on the registers. So I was walking around this huge cavernous liquor shop, trying to figure out what wine to get grandad for his birthday, and I couldn't help but think, "Where the heck is someone I can ask for advice?!"

If they'd had someone walking around the aisles, they could've easily talked me into spending more money than I wound up spending. Not a huge amount more, but maybe $5-10 more...

I'm not a big wine drinker, especially red wine, and I wanted to buy grandad red wine, so I really had no idea what I was looking at.

I thought it was very strange that there was no customer service, especially when where I work is having a bad year for retail, so businesses all over the place are trying their hardest to make some sales.

Maybe they don't need customer service in the liquor store, because everyone around here drinks, so they can guarantee some sales anyway?

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I am not a nap person, but today I was so exhausted that I thought I'd rest on the couch for a few minutes. The next thing I knew I was walking down a grocery store aisle and I saw an elderly friend looking at labels. She looked up and smiled at me, then I remembered she had passed away the year before so I knew that I was dreaming. (Yes, I realized this while I was still dreaming.) I ran down the hall to hug her and I woke up. I wish I had had more time to visit with her.

I just realized that the theme of this thread has been about weirdness while shopping. That's a strange coincidence.

You are right, it did start with weirdness while shopping, but there's no limitation. That stranger, the better! :D

Dreams, I love them, especially the ones where deceased come to visit us. Since Grandpa's passing April, I have had several dreams of us hanging out and just walking. When he was well, he used to love to walk. I treasure those special dreams.

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 07:18 AM
I thought it was very strange that there was no customer service, especially when where I work is having a bad year for retail, so businesses all over the place are trying their hardest to make some sales.

Maybe they don't need customer service in the liquor store, because everyone around here drinks, so they can guarantee some sales anyway?

Could be less personnel due to layoffs and the economy. Hope you found the good wine!

Wesley Kang
09-10-2011, 07:59 AM
I swear my 6 and a half week old daughter opens and closes her hand when she sees me do it. My wife says it's impossible and that she does it all the time. I proceed to do it four more times. I proceed to tell my wife that her lack of belief is keeping back our daughter's "super genius" potential. :)

Cliff Face
09-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Okay, so I think this is a good place to share.

I just did my finances. I've never really had enough money before to bother with working out expenses and other finance-related matters.

But I got to thinking that with the extra money I've made recently from the job (a number I was certain about) and the money I normally save per fortnight, I should be able to figure out exactly how much I've spent once I take into account how much I have right now, 2 days before payday.

Okay, so I sat down for half an hour and wrote up a list. I was certain that I had spent excessive money on things that I couldn't even remember buying (like Red Bull, or milkshakes, or whatever) - because in my head that's how the figures were looking.

So I wrote everything down, and it came out practically to the dollar as to how it should be. I was surprised.

Then I remembered 2 other things I hadn't taken into account. I had bought $50 shoes. And I hadn't counted how much money I had properly... because I forgot to take into account $150 I have yet to receive.

So suddenly I've got $200 extra that doesn't make any sense. (The $150 missing counts as an expense, because it was money taken out of what I supposedly had on me. Ugh, it works out that way anyway - I think...)

So where has this extra $200 come from?!

I HAVE been buying little items here and there that I wouldn't normally buy that should count as an extra expense. So the number would only be larger than $200 if you take that into account...

And the money I would've saved per fortnight when I was on unemployment had already been factored in as $50 per fortnight... The maximum I've ever saved in a fortnight is about $70... So there's no way it could've gone up to $150 per fortnight to account for this anomaly.

I am completely baffled by this extra money I seem to have spent. Where did it come from? Will I get free money ever again? Why doesn't this add up?

I'm not complaining though!

Weird.

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
I swear my 6 and a half week old daughter opens and closes her hand when she sees me do it. My wife says it's impossible and that she does it all the time. I proceed to do it four more times. I proceed to tell my wife that her lack of belief is keeping back our daughter's "super genius" potential. :)

Of course she does, because she is a genius child. You tell your wife I said that. :D

Susan Littlefield
09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Cliff,

Sounds like you are managing your money and maybe not having to worry about it so much. I like it when I "find" extra money. :)

Goldenleaves
09-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Cliff - beware the hidden bill or reason it's tucked away. I thought I had an extra 90 the other day, but (thank goodness) remembered why just before happily spending it-

KyraDune
09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Here's a strange happening for you. My mother's older sister passed away in Oklahoma and about two weeks later, in Texas, we were in a restaraunt and my mother got a twenty dollar bill back as change. Written on the bill was my aunt's name, first and last. I get a chill just thinking about it.

swachski
09-10-2011, 08:58 PM
That is very eerie, KD.

Spiral
09-10-2011, 09:40 PM
That is goosebump-inducing, Kyra.

My weird happening has to do with AW. Yesterday I had a random thought about a member I haven't seen around the boards in awhile. A few hours later, I got a PM from him. He sent me a link, saying that when he'd seen it, he thought about me.

Wesley Kang
09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Here's a strange happening for you. My mother's older sister passed away in Oklahoma and about two weeks later, in Texas, we were in a restaraunt and my mother got a twenty dollar bill back as change. Written on the bill was my aunt's name, first and last. I get a chill just thinking about it.

Wow, that is very strange... and cool.

and thanks Susan, glad you agree with me. :D

AndreF
09-11-2011, 04:11 AM
How in the heck did that happen?

Bad wiring probably. You know when you come home and turn the lights on...and they blow out there's that little blue flash and a snap(that always made me jump.)

True Story

Well I came home at night and turned on the lights. Well not only was there the blue flash but this KABOOM and a glowing orb of light whizzed bsy my head and for like three seconds I was completely terrified while screaming" what the f*** was that!" a few times.

When I looked down at the base of my refrigerator I saw a light blub that had the little screw thing missing from it...it was still in the socket and a pain to get out.

I never put another light bulb back in that fixture...I think my house has clearly and intellectually expressed to me that it doesn't want one there...and I will wisely respect its wishes.(between you and me...I'm looking for a new home...ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell this old home that!)

Cliff Face
09-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Cliff - beware the hidden bill or reason it's tucked away. I thought I had an extra 90 the other day, but (thank goodness) remembered why just before happily spending it-

Actually, it's not money I *have* at the moment. It's money I know for sure that I have spent that I shouldn't have been able to afford based on how much money I got paid these last 5 weeks, considering how much I do have saved up.

Although, I looked more closely at the money that I got in, and it seems I made a slight error.

So instead of having spent a magical $200 that was never there, it was $130.

Still really weird. And it's bugging me that I don't know how this all worked...

TheTinCat
09-11-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm the opposite of most people: I always seem to have money. There is always more on my account than I think. When I do the math, I shouldn't have more than pretty much exactly what I need these days, and yet my account always has several hundreds more than what I need for bills and stuff on it...

Cliff Face
09-12-2011, 04:55 AM
Can you lend me $20 so I can go to the movies? :tongue

Oh, wait, don't worry about it. There's nothing I want to see at the moment anyway.

Susie
09-12-2011, 05:59 AM
One night we were sitting in our kitchen area watching tv and suddenly a picture fell from the wall which had been there for at least 15+ years. The next night, there was a loud bang in the kitchen too (we were in the living room then) and the credenza fell down, that also had been up there the same amount of time. We still don't know why!

Susan Littlefield
09-12-2011, 07:34 AM

No way! Now, that is one strange happening!

Wow, what validation that your aunt was...well, kinda watching over you maybe.

Susan Littlefield
09-12-2011, 07:36 AM
One night we were sitting in our kitchen area watching tv and suddenly a picture fell from the wall which had been there for at least 15+ years. The next night, there was a loud bang in the kitchen too (we were in the living room then) and the credenza fell down, that also had been up there the same amount of time. We still don't know why!

Kind of scary, especially the credenza because they are usually substantial in size. Maybe your walls were just getting tired of holding the same old things. In other words, time to shop? :D

Wesley Kang
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM

The picture and the credenza were a package deal. One goes down, and the other had to follow suit. :)

AndreF
09-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Hmmm. That is a bit creepy.

AndreF
09-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Ms. Littlefield you started this thread in a nick of time...next month...October oooooooh. *ghost fingers*

Susan Littlefield
09-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Ms. Littlefield you started this thread in a nick of time...next month...October oooooooh. *ghost fingers*

I didn't think of that, Falcon. Soon, we'll have lots of scary stories to tell with ghouls and goblins and ghosts who hand out candy to unsuspecting little children. mwwwahhhhhh!

Cliff Face
09-13-2011, 09:32 AM
My scariest Halloween story is that Australia doesn't celebrate Halloween. Makes me tremble, I tells ya!

We've adopted so many American things, so why not Halloween?

attacus-atlas
09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
One night last year in downtown Portland, Oregon, I saw a man walking a goat down the sidewalk. It had a leash and a collar and everything.

I was with five other people at the time, and they saw it too, so I'm fairly sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Susan Littlefield
09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
One night last year in downtown Portland, Oregon, I saw a man walking a goat down the sidewalk. It had a leash and a collar and everything.

I was with five other people at the time, and they saw it too, so I'm fairly sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Funny!

kayleamay
09-13-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm guessing you were in NE?

fiendish
09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Ever seen anyone walking a cat on a lead? Or a rabbit? I've seen both. Not at the same time though ...

Susan Littlefield
09-14-2011, 05:19 AM
Ever seen anyone walking a cat on a lead? Or a rabbit? I've seen both. Not at the same time though ...

Yes! Years ago, I wanted to train my house cats to walk on a leash so that I could take them outside supervised. It did not work at all, but I've seen others walking cats on leashes with success. Maybe I was a little impatient.

About 1/2 mile from where I live, there is a house which often has a rabbit in the front yard, which in not fenced in. One day I had the opportunity to talk with the owner. He said the rabbits were his kids' for 4H, and that they never went beyond the grassy yard. That was interesting!