Space-Flight

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
In an emergency situation how long would it take crew members to abort the international space station and return to earth. Would it take a few hours or days?

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If there were something that could get them to Earth deocked, then they could leave pretty quickly. If they had to call for a taxi from Earth, then they would have to wait. The length of the wait would depend on how ready the taxi was. It could take a few days or it could take more than a week.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
They have a Soyuz space vehicle on the ISS at all times. In a real emergency they could be gone within minutes I suppose.

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
DJ is right. There is always a Soyuz capsule docked to the ISS for every 3-man crew. When there are two crews, there are two capsules. I'm sure they do regular start up and shutdown procedures to keep the capsules fit and ready to start up in an emergency.

If you're interested, here's the ISS emergency procedures manual from 2000. It outlines pretty much every problem and what the crew is supposed to do.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
So, basically from the time of departure to their return to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, an estimated time of say five hours, according to this following link would be a reasonably realistic duration or would the Space-Station-to-Earth trajectory take longer?

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
So, basically from the time of departure to their return to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, an estimated time of say five hours, according to this following link would be a reasonably realistic duration or would the Space-Station-to-Earth trajectory take longer?

Your linked article is about the Space Shuttle and is not really applicable.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/soyuz/landing.html

Up to three crewmembers can return to Earth from the International Space Station aboard a Soyuz TMA spacecraft. The vehicle lands on the flat steppes of Kazakhstan in central Asia. A Soyuz trip to the Station takes two days from launch to docking, but the return to Earth takes less than 3.5 hours.

Bolding mine.

The Soyuz craft is not meant to land in the water. In an emergency, it would probably separate and then go through procedures to make sure it undergoes a landing on solid ground. Soyuz 23 landed in water, and the capsule filled with water and sunk. The astronauts were lucky to survive.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to say I thought the Soyuz always landed in Russia. Though I suppose they COULD land in the US if there was a reason.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that exactly what I needed to know. Since it's fiction I'll change the space-craft to hold six people and change it to land in the U.S. I just wanted to make sure the time-frame of them leaving the ISS and return to earth within 3-5 hour was plausible.

Although, I do have a second question if anyone will be around to answer it. In the last hour, how busy is Mission Control? If someone left for fifteen minutes would it be crucial to their staff?

Last edited:

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that exactly what I needed to know. Since it's fiction I'll change the space-craft to hold six people and change it to land in the U.S. I just wanted to make sure the time-frame of them leaving the ISS and return to earth within 3-5 hour was plausible.

Definitely plausible. 3-4 hours is most likely.

Although, I do have a second question if anyone will be around to answer it. In the last hour, how busy is Mission Control? If someone left for fifteen minutes would it be crucial to their staff?

In the last hour before reentry? Pretty busy. Reentry is a really touchy, extremely dangerous endeavour. To shallow or steep, and the crew is gone. It depends on who you're having leave, but any one of the console guys will be pretty busy making sure everything is on the mark. Someone could relieve them if necessary though.