• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

What helps me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterfell

Miranda
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH7IyID5luc

I listen to this.

Dunno about you, but I get wonderful visuals from it.
and it puts me in the WRITE mood.

(see that? See what I did there? OH I'm so clever)

All joking and puns aside, it's got enough going on that I don't feel like I'm working in complete and utter silence but it's not too chaotic that I find myself getting distracted from my writing because of the music.

I guess that's why this genre is called ambiance.

urbanmum

Village Vagabond
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I often listen to music when writing (first draft/fiction) but for me, the tone must match the scene I'm working on. The song you linked to would work for me if I was writing the scene leading up to the execution of a plan over the climax of the story, the realization of the extent of repercussions following an event, or perhaps to set the mood in the beginning--all depending on the story of course.

Come to think of it, it's definitely time to update my playlists (and get to work :D)

Winterfell

Miranda
Registered
Reaction score
I see what you mean.

I tend to write more... passively?

I don't tend to have a lot of in your face action going on in my stories.
and I prefer a dark, gloomy, "nuclear-winter" type settings. And to me I get those kind of visuals from this music.

KMSzpara

My writer senses are tingling.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmszpara.com
I always put on I'll Make A Man Out Of You, from the Mulan soundtrack xD Gets me PUMPED!

(Be a man)
We must be swift as
the coursing river
(Be a man)
With all the force
of a great typhoon
(Be a man)
With all the strength
of a raging fire
Mysterious as the
dark side of the mooooooooooooooon!

I'm not a man but my MC is and I like to pretend ;D

Ladyillusion7

Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music all day. I can tune out and write, but it definitely helps me to concentrate on what i'm doing. Other than that i could easily sit in a quiet room and write, but the distractions from outside and next door noises would distract me more than the music.

apocalypseroger

Registered
Reaction score
The best advice I ever read with regards to overcoming/eliminating writers-block suggested that one write at the same time every day (this is one you hear a lot) but also that one should *stop* writing for the day once one has a very good idea as to what will happen next. This makes picking up where you left off the next day much easier, you'll be excited to get writing again and wash, rinse, repeat.

Androxine Vortex

High Priest of Oblivion
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha I love how Abysmal Dawn is in the related videos \m/-_-\m/

I usually listen to music when I am brainstorming or something but when I am actually typing it out, I need as much focus as I can have.

Usually I like lsitening to calm sitar music; I dunno why I jsut always liked middle eastern music and their scales are fun to play.

But when I have writers block I try to find a story that is the most related to the style that I am reading and read through it to get some ideas. Or even watch a similar movie.

Stumble

Registered
Reaction score
I like this, but I imagine I would keep having to loop it :p

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
The best advice I ever read with regards to overcoming/eliminating writers-block suggested that one write at the same time every day (this is one you hear a lot) but also that one should *stop* writing for the day once one has a very good idea as to what will happen next. This makes picking up where you left off the next day much easier, you'll be excited to get writing again and wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes! I really beleive this. Sometimes I can't stop myself, but I really think it goes much better if you stop in the middle. Oh, similarly to what you say above, if you are learning something physical, music, a trick on you bike, whatever, you stop when you get it right. A lot of people, when they get the trick, say - Oh, I got it, let me keep at it, but it's really best to end there. What your system will remember when you 'quit while you are ahead' is getting it right.

Cidewalk

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buffalo-man.com
I find not only listening to music, but listening to the same music can help with keeping consistent pacing and emotion. I have maybe 30 songs with different purposes, and each represent a specific emotion for what I'm writing.

Of course, I can bend the system too. If one song annoys you, feel free to change.

For example:
Building action/some climax

Character building/setting/general

Fight scene/climax

There are lots. I check the one you linked and see how I write with it playing.

kguiver

I'm unique, just like everyone else
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!! Lots of good ideas from posts above. Would be wise to follow the advice given!

Status
Not open for further replies.