Maxillofacial trauma/Muscle damage

C. G. Hagy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some information on lasting effects of severe facial trauma as the result of receiving a "Glasgow Smile". That is to say, the cheek being cut from the corner of the mouth nearly all the way to the earlobe.

Also, it should be noted that modern medicine is not available in the situation. At best we're looking at maybe mid-1700's era medicine with a few magical enhancements that help ward off infection and close the wound channel. No real hope for cosmetic reconstruction or repairing any nerve/muscle damage.

My primary concerns are as follows:

• How would such a wound heal?
  • Would there be permanent muscle and/or nerve damage, to the extent as to effect facial expression, eating, or speech?
  • What kind of pain are we talking about? I'm assuming it would be extreme.
  • What would the probability of choking to death on your own blood be?
Thanks in advance.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
The wound would heal with a scar; the infection of the wound and non-immobilization of the jaw would likely increase the thickness and irregular appearance of the scar.

The scar would likely limit the opening of the mouth on the affected side and of course it would affect facial expressions, but not necessary (much) eating and speech. Scar tissue would be numb.

Chocking in a standing or sitting and conscious person does not seem likely.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
My dad has a half Chelsea smile (as we call it round our way) from the upper corner of his right lip up to his right cheekbone - the trajectory was slightly higher than your usual Glasgow/Chelsea smile but I should imagine the amount of damage would be roughly the same.

He has quite a large scar now, which has faded a little over time. It's a thick line of tissue - he was cut in the early 70's, and medicine wasn't as good as it is now, so it's quite a messy scar. He can eat and speak fine, but his smile is noticeably lopsided, and he tends to have a permanent 'sneer' where the muscles on the right side were affected.

He actually passed out from the pain, it was so severe, although this was only after the initial adrenaline rush which allowed him to escape from his attackers. He bled severely but I don't think he was ever in any real danger of bleeding to death - there are major veins and arteries in the face so this might vary depending on where the person was cut.

He was found lying down (I'm not sure what kind of position) and he hadn't choked on any blood, so I don't think it's very likely - the wounds tend to bleed outwards.

C. G. Hagy

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's really horrible.

I appreciate all the info from both of you, it will really help me out a lot.

Thanks.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was pretty nasty. It's healed well, though. Here's a recent picture of the scar (this is 30+ years afterwards) to give you some idea of how they heal:

f40ef15b.jpg

C. G. Hagy

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, the things people do to each other.

This is a lot of good information, crunchy. I appreciate it. The picture is pretty much right on for what I'm picturing happened to my MC, so it helps. Thanks a million.