ing and ed words and tense

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I'm wondering if because I have mixed them in these four sentences if they are technically incorrect, or possibly correct but awkward because of their construction? I also wonder if the one with 'that' in it reads better without the "that'?

A group of little children attempted to escape the heat, laughing and stamping their feet in a puddle of mud created by a tap leaking on their front yard.

A nun in a black habit bent over, singing and clipping bushes near the steps that led toward the frosted glass doors.

A nun in a black habit bent over, singing and clipping bushes near the steps leading toward the frosted glass doors.

ETA: Forgot this one.

Sylvia shuddered as she sat beside her mother — a coldness sweeping over her, wiping away the humidity, before beads of sweat settled on her forehead.

Last edited:

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
My opinion -- both sentences are correct. The -ing verbs denote an action that is taking place at the same time as the first action in the sentence ('attempted to escape the heat', 'bent over') so they work. I think the first sentence is awkward, but I believe it's technically correct.

And if I'm wrong, I'll have to rewrite my entire freakin' book.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Technically OK but awkward. Trying to cram so many ideas into one sentence complicates the structure. I think each of these would benefit from simplification.

A group of little children attempted to escape the heat, laughing and stamping their feet in a puddle of mud created by a tap leaking on their front yard.
Has the heat has already been established? If so, we can infer the reason the children are playing in the mud. How important is it that the children are little? Does the POV actually know that the children belong to this front yard?

Could you cut it down to:
A group of children laughed and stamped their feet in a mud puddle created by a leaky tap.
A nun in a black habit bent over, singing and clipping bushes near the steps that led toward the frosted glass doors.

A nun in a black habit bent over, singing and clipping bushes near the steps leading toward the frosted glass doors.
Given the "singing" and "clipping," I prefer "that led" over "leading," but it's correct either way. Again though, there are a lot of thoughts here. How important is it that she's bent over? Do you really need to mention both the steps and the doors?

Perhaps something like:
A nun in a black habit sang as she clipped bushes near the steps leading toward the frosted glass doors.

Sylvia shuddered as she sat beside her mother — a coldness sweeping over her, wiping away the humidity, before beads of sweat settled on her forehead.
Now one this I prefer as two sentences:
Sylvia shuddered as she sat beside her mother. A coldness swept over her, wiping away the humidity, before beads of sweat settled on her forehead.
These are merely suggestions, of course. My style isn't the same as yours.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I agree with FennelGiraffe: there's too much in each sentence. I'd leave some bits out, or put them in other sentences.

In the front yard of one house, laughing children splashed in the mud puddle under a leaky tap.

A nun in a black habit bent over, singing, and clipped the bushes near the front steps.

As she sat beside her mother, Sylvia shuddered, a coldness sweeping over her. Beads of sweat settled on her forehead.
(I don't understand how coldness wipes away humidity. And I prefer the cold to be closer to the person it affects--Sylvia--than to the other person--her mother.)

Last edited: