Newbie question

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Ok - I want to publish several mss as ebooks as a publisher from my as yet to be built website. Is there one conversion package that can be used for all the available platforms or do you do a new ebook version for each. Forgive my ignorance just beginning to sort this out.
I see that Smashwords allows me to publish multiple books but only from their site which isn't really what I want. What software do you recommend?

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question... Do you want a service that will take your book and convert it into all of the appropriate formats? Or a service that will "post" your book on many different platforms?

I don't think either exists anyway. Proprietary formats, deals between companies, etc... would prevent that.

davidw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liberwriter.com
Ok - I want to publish several mss as ebooks as a publisher from my as yet to be built website. Is there one conversion package that can be used for all the available platforms or do you do a new ebook version for each. Forgive my ignorance just beginning to sort this out.
I see that Smashwords allows me to publish multiple books but only from their site which isn't really what I want. What software do you recommend?

At LiberWriter, we started out with the Kindle as our target, because that's where most authors report most of their sales. However, we'd be willing to take on a few guinea pig projects for ePubs as well, if you're interested.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
That does look good. I have to do some work on the text of my book but my colleague's is out of print and may be ready to go soon. Can you maintain UK spelling and punctuation conventions? Thanks.

davidw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liberwriter.com
That does look good. I have to do some work on the text of my book but my colleague's is out of print and may be ready to go soon. Can you maintain UK spelling and punctuation conventions? Thanks.

We don't touch the *contents* of your writing at all - it's all about formatting and conversion, so yes, you can certainly spell things however you'd like (including incorrectly - fixing typos is not part of the service at present). LiberWriter is registered in the US, but we won't let that colour our behaviour with regards to your document :)

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
We don't touch the *contents* of your writing at all - it's all about formatting and conversion, so yes, you can certainly spell things however you'd like (including incorrectly - fixing typos is not part of the service at present). LiberWriter is registered in the US, but we won't let that colour our behaviour with regards to your document :)

Well, i'll talk to my fellow writers and get back to you.
Cheers.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com

Actually, Smashwords will distribute your book to a lot of other major ebook retailers (Barnes and Noble, Nook, Kobo, Diesel eBooks etc.). So you might want to look into it after all. To publish on Amazon, you'll need to do that separately.