PDA

View Full Version : Closest to me.. Wales?

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
So I was just wondering, firstly how many people here are from Wales?

Secondly, how close do you live to me? I live reasonably near Cardiff, and if you've actually heard of a place called Caerphilly that's pretty much me :)

captaintripps
08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi, Gavin. I'm from just outside of Wigan and have just got back from a long weekend in your fantastic country. Weather was shite, though. ;)

Chantal.H
08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Do you speak Welsh Gavin?

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi, Gavin. I'm from just outside of Wigan and have just got back from a long weekend in your fantastic country. Weather was shite, though. ;)

Ah alright for some eh!Where abouts in Wales did you go? Haha the weather is always shite here! I like comedian Rhod Gilberts joke,

"In the bible it says that it rained for 40 nights and 40 days.. that's still the best summer wales has on record!"

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Do you speak Welsh Gavin?

No unfortunately not, I can say good morning, good night and that's about it for me!

akaSylvia
08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
I just moved to Swansea. *waves*

captaintripps
08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
I was over at Trearddur Bay, just off trhe tip of Anglesey (Holy Island). Grand place, but like living on the underside of a wave. ;)

Deb Kinnard
08-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Damp, eh, Tripps? My just-finished project is set in far north Wales, near Rhyl. I've only traveled through there once, but it made quite an impression. My clearest memories are of the River Mawddach (sp?) and Ganllywd, though.

RobJ
08-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Not from Wales, no, but I spend a fair amount of time just north of Newport on business at the moment.

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 11:24 PM
I just moved to Swansea. *waves*

Not too far from me! Only bad news.. Rival fc of the great Cardiff City!!

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 11:25 PM
I was over at Trearddur Bay, just off trhe tip of Anglesey (Holy Island). Grand place, but like living on the underside of a wave. ;)

Sounds nice.. Haha yep it's like that 24.7.365 here !!

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Deb Kinnard;6499208] My just-finished project is set in far north Wales, near Rhyl. /QUOTE]

That's really interesting, what kind of book is it if you don't mind me asking?

I really wanted to set my book in Wales, bit of national pride etc etc, but as it's my first and I want the best possible chance of publishing success.. I didn't want to take the risk that it may not be as sell-able being set in Wales than England, or even Ireland!

Gavin23
08-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Not from Wales, no, but I spend a fair amount of time just north of Newport on business at the moment. :

Now that really is just up the road from me!! I live in a town called Bedwas, probably 10-15 minutes away :)

jennontheisland
09-01-2011, 12:11 AM
My sister visited Caerphilly a few years ago on a trip to see family in the Rhondda valley. I've never been though.

Gavin23
09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
My sister visited Caerphilly a few years ago on a trip to see family in the Rhondda valley. I've never been though.

Coincidence there, I live in Caerphilly & went to school in the Valleys!!

RobJ
09-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Now that really is just up the road from me!! I live in a town called Bedwas, probably 10-15 minutes away :)
Just found it on the map. Yup, pretty close that is.

Deb Kinnard
09-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Gavin, it's a romance. That's what I write. No apologies. It's called PEACEWEAVER and it's set in the year after Cymru client-kings rowed King Edgar on the Dee.

:D

captaintripps
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Damp, eh, Tripps? My just-finished project is set in far north Wales, near Rhyl. I've only traveled through there once, but it made quite an impression. My clearest memories are of the River Mawddach (sp?) and Ganllywd, though.

Rhyl? The place god made the day he had toothache?

fireluxlou
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi noticed your other thread. I live close to Cardiff. Like 20-30 mins away. Think Abergavenny!

It's odd seeing another Welsh person on the internet. I always think we're in such minute numbers in real life, it's like searching for gold on the web.

Gavin23
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi noticed your other thread. I live close to Cardiff. Like 20-30 mins away. Think Abergavenny!

It's odd seeing another Welsh person on the internet. I always think we're in such minute numbers in real life, it's like searching for gold on the web.

Oh which other thread was that?

I know Abergavenny! Don't think I've ever been there though, near heads of the valleys roads right?

I always think the same, if somebodies from Wales it's like a major shock! Weirdly though almost every person I've found online that's from Wales has been reasonably near to me.

fireluxlou
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Your recent thread on your story.

Yea it is, mega close to Newport and Cardiff though. I tend to venture down Brynmawr way/Ebbw Vale/Cwmbran way a lot. All very close to one another.

Yea I agree most people I've met online have been near the valleys, South Wales region.

My mum and I joke though that all roads lead to Merthyr.

Gavin23
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Your recent thread on your story.

Yea it is, mega close to Newport and Cardiff though. I tend to venture down Brynmawr way/Ebbw Vale/Cwmbran way a lot. All very close to one another.

Yea I agree most people I've met online have been near the valleys, South Wales region.

My mum and I joke though that all roads point to Merthyr.

Oh right haha!

Yeah I just Google mapped it, is closer than I thought. I'm from a little village called Bedwas, not too far to Newport.

Hmm it's strange, maybe because this area is more densely populated or... something haha :)!

fireluxlou
01-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Oh right haha!

Yeah I just Google mapped it, is closer than I thought. I'm from a little village called Bedwas, not too far to Newport.

Hmm it's strange, maybe because this area is more densely populated or... something haha :)!

Bedwas I've vaguely heard of it.

That's most likely it tbh. It is more populated around here.

It's great to see fellow writers and I always wanted to set a story in Wales too. But it feels too close to home and Wales feels like a too barren wasteland to get a story out of. :/ It doesn't scream exciting!

Owen Sheers seems to be doing well for himself (got that film made out of his book, Resistance) and he's a local to Abergavenny.

One of my favourite Welsh authors is Jenny Suillivan and she sets all her stories in Wales or thereabouts. I met her once when I was little. Think I scared her a bit with my passion for books!

RobJ
01-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm still in the area on business most weeks, too, and that'll probably continue for most of this year. I tend to stay over in Usk, but there is somewhere just a few minutes from Bedwas that I've stayed at in the past, too.

Gavin23
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I would love to set one of my stories in Wales... or at least have a Welsh protagonist. The only thing is I worry that publishers/agents might be turned off by that a little, and obviously being unpublished, I want to really maximise my chances!

Where's the place a few minutes from Bedwas Rob? I might know it :)

RobJ
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I would love to set one of my stories in Wales... or at least have a Welsh protagonist. The only thing is I worry that publishers/agents might be turned off by that a little, and obviously being unpublished, I want to really maximise my chances!
I've known a few people set their stories in Wales, and I've always considered it a plus. Never seemed to harm their chances. One's just had her debut novel - set in Wales - published by Bloomsbury.

Where's the place a few minutes from Bedwas Rob? I might know it :)
You know the Bryn Meadows?

Gavin23
01-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Hm maybe I just need to be more gutsy and give it a go then!

Bryn Meadows golf club? Very posh ;)

Haha, I am probably around three minutes drive from Bryn Meadows right now, I work in Ystrad Mynach!

RobJ
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I would definitely say there's no reason to shy away from writing about Wales.

Yup, pretty close indeed :)

Gavin23
01-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I'll have to give it a go I think :)

What type of stuff do you write Rob?

RobJ
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
What type of stuff do you write Rob?
To-date, varied.

I'll have to give it a go I think
Yeah, it's not essential that you do, unless you particularly want to of course, but your fears may be unfounded (unless anyone knows otherwise and pipes up), so I wouldn't rule it out.

retropaw
01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
big hello from up north. :)

fireluxlou
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Hello, where up north you from?

Carmy
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Late coming onto this thread, but . . .

I'm originally from Drefach, Felindre, Carmarthenshire. I now live in Calgary, Canada.

Yes, I speak Cymraeg but it's getting rusty because I don't have anyone to speak it with. Desperately. clinging to the words I have left. I managed to bring some into short stories I published, and into a novel. But the dictionary came in handy, I'm sorry to say.

The Illusionist
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey guys!

I'm also kinda late to the thread but since Wales seems to not be so widely represented wanted to say hi :)

I'm not actually Welsh but I am studying in Cardiff, so that kinda qualifies me, right?

flapperphilosopher
04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to say hi to the Welsh folks! I lived in Wales for a year (well, school year) and I loooooooved it. I was in Bangor, which isn't the most super town ever but oh, the area! And hearing Welsh on the streets! I love the country so much. I took Welsh but managed to forget most of it, which makes me sad (I can't even remember the word for sad! :S).

Also hi Carmy, I'm in Calgary too! :)

kborsden
04-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Port Talbot boy... living in the shit-pit of the Welsh coast

BlueFox
04-30-2012, 05:16 PM
So I was just wondering, firstly how many people here are from Wales?

Secondly, how close do you live to me? I live reasonably near Cardiff, and if you've actually heard of a place called Caerphilly that's pretty much me :)

Hey Gavin I'm originally from Porthcawl but I've been living in Cardiff for the past few years. One of my good friends is from Bargoed in Caerphilly! :)

Hey guys!

I'm also kinda late to the thread but since Wales seems to not be so widely represented wanted to say hi :)

I'm not actually Welsh but I am studying in Cardiff, so that kinda qualifies me, right?

Illusionist, are you in Cardiff Uni?? What are you studying? I'm third year law!

The Illusionist
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Illusionist, are you in Cardiff Uni?? What are you studying? I'm third year law!

Yes! Im a second year Journalism, Media, and Cultural studies student. What a coincidence to find someone from the same uni here :D Only right now Im on an Erasmus semester in Seville, Spain.

Billytwice
06-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Hi, I'm from Tredegar (the wettest place in Wales) and if I ever win the lottery I'm out of here!
I quite fancy somewhere sunny like Spain or Portugal...

fireluxlou
06-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Hi, I'm from Tredegar (the wettest place in Wales) and if I ever win the lottery I'm out of here!
I quite fancy somewhere sunny like Spain or Portugal...

Hi you live quite close to me :) sorta closeish Tredegar is 40 mins away from me.

Billytwice
06-18-2012, 04:20 AM
if you've actually heard of a place called Caerphilly that's pretty much me :)

Haven't you got a castle made out of cheese or something?

Billytwice
06-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Hi you live quite close to me :) sorta closeish Tredegar is 40 mins away from me.

:) Abergavenny? takes me about 20 mins...

fireluxlou
06-18-2012, 04:26 AM
:) Abergavenny? takes me about 20 mins...

eesh I forget I'm thinking of bus times :D

retropaw
09-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Hello, where up north you from?

not telling! There's mentalists on this here interweb that would kidnap folk's puppies.