PDA

View Full Version : Sorry it took so long.

JamesC
11-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Hello one and all, http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonhi.gif

My name is JamesC,

I am the person that took so long getting this forum back up and running, so I thought I would register and pass on my apologies for how long it took.

I could go into a long story of why but I will just get to the point. The data base for this forum is over 500 Megs when the server it was on could not stay up for more then a couple of hours at a time that made it a challenge to grab the data base. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHammer.gif So I gave up after 2 dayshttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smileyflag.gif

This data base that is being used now was down loaded on the 16th of Nov. so there are a few post missing and I am truly sorry about that. But I bet it will have better up time now then it did in the past. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

So enjoy and sorry for the long time. Post on and enjoy http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif

Dawno
11-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Thank you for all your hard work James!

JennaGlatzer
11-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks, James!

Yeah, we did lose a couple of days' worth of posts. Sorry 'bout that, guys, but we figured it was more important to get the boards back up and running instead of James driving himself crazy reloading and reloading and trying to get the current database without timing out.

The good news, of course, is that we are now on the new server and have high hopes for no more errors! :Clap:

Susie
11-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks so much, Jenna & James. I had a feeling when I saw some of my posts missing that that might be the reason. It's great to be back on with AW. It wasn't the same without AW.

Lady of Prose
11-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Yes, thanks for all your hard work, James. And you too Jenna!! :)

emeraldcite
11-21-2005, 07:16 AM
thanks! woo hoo. i feel so much better and our new homes is absolutely wonderful...:) two thumbs up!!

Yeshanu
11-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Does this mean our trip is over??? Whaaa! (But it's nice to finally be in a safe and secure place. Some of those places we visited on the way here... :) )

Vanessa
11-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Thanks James and Jenna. I missed this place!

Also James, just to let you know in case you weren't aware, Mozilla Firefox browser is not working properly with the site. It freezes the icon, like it's trying to open completely, but it doesn't. I couldn't post. I tried several times.

I opened Internet Explorer and I'm zipping right through the threads, and posting without problems.

Thanks again for the move :)

P.H.Delarran
11-21-2005, 07:38 AM
thanks for all the work!

Pat~
11-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks James and Jenna. I missed this place!

Also James, just to let you know in case you weren't aware, Mozilla Firefox browser is not working properly with the site. It freezes the icon, like it's trying to open completely, but it doesn't. I couldn't post. I tried several times.

I opened Internet Explorer and I'm zipping right through the threads, and posting without problems.

Thanks again for the move :)

Thanks for that post, Vanessa. I was also having a lot of trouble with Mozilla Firefox, but have switched over to Internet Explorer.

Birol
11-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all your hard work, James. You, too, Jenna. It's inevitable when you move that a box or two gets lost. Better that than to continue to suffer from the withdrawal symptoms we AW addicts are subject to.

Vanessa, I'm using Mozilla. It was a little slower loading the 'reply to thread' window than usual, but that has always happened on occasion. No real problems.

Dawno
11-21-2005, 08:06 AM
I made the first post above (after James's) from Firefox, no problems...

Alphabet
11-21-2005, 08:10 AM
What is is.

But I do feel sad, and I suppose I just think that once it was realised that it wasn't all coming across we could have had the chance to rescue that weeks posts (whoever had posts they wanted to rescue) and we could then have pasted the info back into new posts on the new servers.. but I suppose there's a reason we couldn't... anyway.. just incase...

Is there any way to access the posts on the old server so that I can grab back some of the missing poetry and maybe the SOS forum missing updates? I understand it didn't get brought to the new server. but that was some important information gone.

Oh yes.. and thankyou for trying so long to make it work... I think we all appreciate the effort you've put in.

JamesC
11-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Well I am testing with fire fox and it is real slow with the loading time.

This I know is a glitch with fire fox and java ads of course with a forum this size you can expect some glitchs on a new server.

over the next few days and or weeks (if that what it takes) I will make adjustments to the server till this all smooths out.

So please bear with me while I work out the kinks.

Vanessa
11-21-2005, 08:14 AM
You guys are lucky! I just tried again and same thing. I've never had problems with Mozilla being slow or any unusual dragging. I even refreshed the browser. What version of Mozilla are you all using? I haven't changed anything, and it opens up other sites fine. I'm not a Internet Explorer fan, but I tell ya, I swear I am zipping through AWWC, with no delays. I'm sure it'll iron out, after everything's settled through.

Oops didn't see you there James. You beat me to the post. Thanks for the update.

JamesC
11-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Well I have already norrowed it down to the adserver. seems for some reason it is loading very slow through out the site.

I can't access the adserver so I can't really say why it is doing this so sorry for the delayed timing.

rhymegirl
11-21-2005, 08:24 AM
I found that the Size doesn't work when I tried to make some words bigger in one of my posts. I clicked on Size and it just showed the number but no pop-up box for me to type in the words I wanted to make bigger.

Vanessa
11-21-2005, 08:25 AM
James, believe me when I say, you are crowned the KING of this place, for just getting the site up again. :banana:

And I'm sure I can speak for everyone in saying we are forever grateful. I will use whatever it takes to hangout in this place until we get a fix. So thank you again, and hey, we'll be fine.

unthoughtknown
11-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Yay! I just wanted to do :Jump: (<-) that in the new location ! Hehe.

--
(Vanessa, I gave up on firefox as well and am now using IE for this site. Oh, the things I will do for Jenna's forum - hehe). (J/k).

Birol
11-21-2005, 08:37 AM
James, don't stress about the little things. Go get some rest. Give us a chance to get unpacked and figure out where everything fits. In the morning, if your Honey Do list gets a bit irritating, check your rep points for warm fuzzies.

Medievalist
11-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Well I am testing with fire fox and it is real slow with the loading time.

This I know is a glitch with fire fox and java ads of course with a forum this size you can expect some glitchs on a new server.

over the next few days and or weeks (if that what it takes) I will make adjustments to the server till this all smooths out.

So please bear with me while I work out the kinks.

It's the javascript that displays the ads; it's written to I.E. and not cross browser compliant :(

JamesC
11-21-2005, 08:57 AM
testing the size thingy

testing the size thingy

hmmm funny seems to work for me?

rhymegirl
11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
testing the size thingy

testing the size thingy

hmmm funny seems to work for me?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.3.9 Safari 1.3 (v312) Size doesn't work

victoriastrauss
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I use Netscape--just checking to make sure I can post.

- Victoria

reph
11-21-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm using IE 5. (It's the only browser I have. I don't even know how to get a second browser. Do you have to have a lot of extra memory?) Pages are loading rather slowly, especially the page after I send a reply.

JamesC
11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Ok I did find a couple of config files for the adserver and made some changes.

They were still pointing to the old server so now things should be doing a little better.

BTW this post is being made with Fire Fox so I think I fixed that problem too.

Please let me know if there are any other problems I have not found yet.

Mac H.
11-21-2005, 09:50 AM
But I do feel sad, and I suppose I just think that once it was realised that it wasn't all coming across we could have had the chance to rescue that weeks posts (whoever had posts they wanted to rescue) and we could then have pasted the info back into new posts on the new servers.. but I suppose there's a reason we couldn't... anyway.. just incase...If you posted something onto the boards, then it isn't lost - it is still stored on YOUR OWN computer.

The same thing applies to anything you've viewed from the old boards.

The easiest way to view the copy on your own machine is to install 'Google Desktop'. ( www.desktop.google.com (http://www.desktop.google.com/) ) Then, just browse your machine by searching for a word that it is on every post (eg: Your log-in name) and it will find everything your PC has ever viewed. (Well - up to the point where you cleared your cache)

I often find it's easier to find my own posts that way, rather than search the board properly!

Mac.
(PS: Unfortunately it is only guaranteed to work on Windows XP / Win2000)

darryl
11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
James, if it only took 1.5 days they you are a saint. I've seen this kind of change go horribly wrong in other places- well done!

:Trophy:

JamesC
11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
What is is.

But I do feel sad, and I suppose I just think that once it was realised that it wasn't all coming across we could have had the chance to rescue that weeks posts (whoever had posts they wanted to rescue) and we could then have pasted the info back into new posts on the new servers.. but I suppose there's a reason we couldn't... anyway.. just incase...

Is there any way to access the posts on the old server so that I can grab back some of the missing poetry and maybe the SOS forum missing updates? I understand it didn't get brought to the new server. but that was some important information gone.

Oh yes.. and thankyou for trying so long to make it work... I think we all appreciate the effort you've put in.

The catch is that the other server would not stay up long enough for me to grab the whole data base it would time out over and over (believe me I tried for 2 days around the clock) each down load would take any where from 3 to 6 hours (this data base is over 500 megs) I have 7 bad copies of the data base on my office computer now most are missing even more info then what is missing here now. Some will not even transport into the MySql data engine at all.

So with the forum being down I just went with the best copy I had and here it is sorry again for the loss.

Vanessa
11-21-2005, 10:25 AM
I am POSTING FROM FIREFOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! YIPPPEEEE! James you're the greatest!

darryl
11-21-2005, 10:28 AM
The catch is that the other server would not stay up long enough for me to grab the whole data base it would time out over and over (believe me I tried for 2 days around the clock) each down load would take any where from 3 to 6 hours (this data base is over 500 megs) I have 7 bad copies of the data base on my office computer now most are missing even more info then what is missing here now. Some will not even transport into the MySql data engine at all.

So with the forum being down I just went with the best copy I had and here it is sorry again for the loss.

Just a thought: If the old server had a nightly tape backup, as many do, would there not be an image on a tape from say Thursday? I note that some of the posts in one section end on the 15th, 5 days ago.

Just thinking that the image could be restored to a spare drive and then mount on another computer for retrieval at leisure- then extract the posts for those days missed by the transition phase.

:popcorn:

Birol
11-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Wouldn't the backup tapes be owned by Host Excellence? Since they weren't that big on customer service when they had Jenna's business, they probably aren't that inclined to help now that they've lost it.

Bufty
11-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Congratulations and thank you, James and Jenna.

Good Word
11-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, James! Jenna too!

biotales
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
James,
you are the sweet heart.... :Hail: :kiss: :hooray: :Jump: :partyguy: :Trophy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: the dog is dancing again..... oh and SHE owes you big time.....

ChunkyC
11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Testing testing ... is this thing on?

Looking great from here, thanks a million James!

ChunkyC
11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't the backup tapes be owned by Host Excellence? Since they weren't that big on customer service when they had Jenna's business, they probably aren't that inclined to help now that they've lost it.
Exactly right, Lori. The hassle of trying to get HostExcellence to courier a backup tape halfway across the country to James would be an exercise in futility, IMHO. This is assuming James would even have a compatible tape drive to read the tape etc. etc. etc. We'll just have to live with not having a few posts. Not the end of the world by a long shot.

Moondancer
11-21-2005, 07:44 PM
If they couldn't keep the server going long enough for us to download the complete database (we have at least 7 corrupt copies) I wouldn't put much faith in their backups, either.

There might be a way of accessing the forum on their servers and that's one thing I will check on today. Connection issues aside, if I can find a way to access the site there through the browser rather than the control panel, we might be able to copy and paste the most important posts or at least be able to allow you to grab your PMs... if we're lucky, that is. Luck hasn't been a big part of this past weekend so a lot of good vibes sent this way would be helpful.

Pat~
11-21-2005, 08:15 PM
James, Mozilla Firefox is working great, now. Thank you!!

September skies
11-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks James and Jenna. Important thing too, we are all finally back together again. I missed all u guys!

CaoPaux
11-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Heh, we still made out better than if we'd been with ezboard during The Great Hack. Thanks for all your blood, sweat, and tears, James. :Clap:

Medievalist
11-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Really, I wouldn't bother trying to get back the lost posts. It's too much hassle, for too little data, and the risk of Things Going Wrong.

You've done a fabulous job--go with it.

rekirts
11-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Heh, we still made out better than if we'd been with ezboard during The Great Hack. Thanks for all your blood, sweat, and tears, James. :Clap:
Darn right! I had a journal, among other things, on an ezboard forum and I lost most of it. Good thing it was boring or I might have been upset. :tongue

Peggy
11-21-2005, 11:54 PM
James: Jenna is really lucky to have someone working so diligently to get the boards up and running. I'm using Firefox with no problems at all.

I just wanted to mention a quirk in the new boards:

I originally bookmarked my user page as: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/usercp.php?

This link currently takes me to the VBulletin message from Jenna.

However, http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/usercp.php? takes me to my user page just fine.

This same issue (not being able to link to threads if the www is missing) breaks the links in the "Index" threads in the "Bewares and Background Checks" form.

rhymegirl
11-21-2005, 11:59 PM
I found that the Size doesn't work when I tried to make some words bigger in one of my posts. I clicked on Size and it just showed the number but no pop-up box for me to type in the words I wanted to make bigger.

Whatever you did, it works now! Thank you, James.

Unique
11-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks James and Jenna. Important thing too, we are all finally back together again. I missed all u guys!

Yes, yes, yes...what she said.

Besides, I can re-say all the ridiculous things I've already said, er - I would if I could remember them.

Moondancer
11-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Okay, I turned the forum on at HE. You can access it here (http://66.116.174.26/forums/index.php). I wouldn't advise posting anything on it because it won't be moving to here but at least you can get to it to retrieve important things you are missing. If someone would care to post something about the move for peoples that would be great. I saw a couple of people logged in after I turned it on.

Remember the connection issues, too, and have patience retrieving.

:Coffee:

AmyDoodle
11-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Thanks, James, and others, for your hard work. :Clap: Looks great!

brinkett
11-22-2005, 06:52 PM
James, please take a look at the Parallel Boards? thread. There are a number of us who aren't able to get to this site. I can't get to it from home--I'm posting this from work. Deleting all cookies, deleting all temporary internet files, and setting IE to check for a new page on each visit doesn't solve the problem. We've all tried the URL with and without the 'www', and someone emailed me a link to this site which still takes me to the old site. For some reason, the URL is still mapped to the old site for some of us.

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Brinkett and others having trouble getting to the new site from certain computers.... try going to www.absolutewrite.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com) first, since there's only one of that site, then click on the 'Forums' button, see if that works. Also make sure to log out of the forums to clear the cookie on your computer before trying to access the boards again.

I've added a global announcement over on the old site to help make it obvious which site you're on (thanks for the suggestion, Moondancer). We'll shut down the old site in a day or so anyway, but for now perhaps coming here through the main AW site will solve the access problem.

stormie
11-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks to James and Jenna. Great job!

brinkett
11-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Brinkett and others having trouble getting to the new site from certain computers.... try going to www.absolutewrite.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com/) first, since there's only one of that site, then click on the 'Forums' button, see if that works. Also make sure to log out of the forums to clear the cookie on your computer before trying to access the boards again.

I tried that last night--it didn't work. I've also cleared all my cookies several times, and all of my temporary internet files. Any other suggestions?

brinkett
11-22-2005, 08:14 PM
One other piece of information that I'm not sure is helpful or not: at work, where I can get here, the URL remains www.absolutewrite.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com). At home, www.absolutewrite.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com) is always translated to absolutewrite.com, i.e. I type in www.absolutewrite.com/forums (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums), and seconds later, the address line in the browser is changed to absolutewrite.com/forums.

Moondancer
11-22-2005, 08:49 PM
The only suggestion I have at this point is to make sure you REALLY clean it out. Sometimes this isn't possible without going into your cookies folder and manually deleting cookies and using disk cleanup to delete temporary internet files. It may also be a problem of ISPs caching old pages for a lot longer length of time than you would prefer. When pages are cached it logs not only the textual address but the IP address such as 66.116.174.26 which is the IP address of the site on HE.

brinkett
11-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Well, when I get home, I'll try clearing everything out manually, but I'm not optimistic. Of course, if it doesn't work, I won't be able to tell you until tomorrow.

Can you post the IP of the new site--perhaps if I type that in directly, I'll get here.

I doubt it's my ISP. I didn't have a problem last time AW moved, nor have I had a problem when other sites have moved. I doubt very much an ISP would cache pages for days on end precisely because of problems like this.

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I doubt it's my ISP. I didn't have a problem last time AW moved, nor have I had a problem when other sites have moved. I doubt very much an ISP would cache pages for days on end precisely because of problems like this.
Thing is, in those other cases, the old sites weren't active, so even if your system went looking for the site at the old IP, it wouldn't find it and then it would search the DNS servers for the 'real' site, which it would find and you'd be taken there. You wouldn't even be aware it had first looked for the old site.

The problem is that something either in your system or somewhere else particular to your Internet hookup for your home machine (like your ISP) is holding on to the old IP address and using it whenever you try to access the AW forums. The reason it won't 'let go' then find and use the new IP is that it keeps finding something at the old IP and doesn't look any further.

Every DNS server on the Internet should now have the new IP addy associated with Absolute Write and the forums, which is why the problem has to be something specific to your system or close to it (such as your ISP's DNS server).

Are you familiar with the 'ping' command? If so, this is what you should get if you open up a command prompt and ping www.absolutewrite.com:
C:\>ping www.absolutewrite.com

Pinging absolutewrite.com [207.218.250.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=52
Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=389ms TTL=52
Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=276ms TTL=52
Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=298ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 207.218.250.65:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 276ms, Maximum = 389ms, Average = 330ms

C:\>
If you get the IP that starts with 66, then there is something in your system that is still associating www.absolutewrite.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com) with the wrong IP. Virtually every home Internet connection automatically looks to the ISP's DNS server for this association if it's not 'cached' on the computer itself. If you have eliminated this 'cached' association from your computer, then it HAS to be at your ISP because that's the next place your computer will look, and your ISP is either going to have the new IP or the old one, and you'll be taken to whichever it is.

PS -- I agree that your ISP should have the new entry on their server, it's an automatic updating system that propagates changes like this throughout the Internet in a matter of hours. Therefore, in all likelihood there is some association to the old site still buried somewhere on your computer.

brinkett
11-22-2005, 09:36 PM
PS -- I agree that your ISP should have the new entry on their server, it's an automatic updating system that propagates changes like this throughout the Internet in a matter of hours. Therefore, in all likelihood there is some association to the old site still buried somewhere on your computer.
Okay, I've sent these instructions home and I'll try it later. If the old site is buried somewhere on my computer, and it's not in a cookie or in a temporary internet file, where would it be?

ETA: You might want to post this on the old forums for those still there. We were chatting in one of the threads last night. Someone might figure it out, find their way over here, and tell us how they did it.

Peggy
11-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Okay, I've sent these instructions home and I'll try it later. If the old site is buried somewhere on my computer, and it's not in a cookie or in a temporary internet file, where would it be?

ETA: You might want to post this on the old forums for those still there. We were chatting in one of the threads last night. Someone might figure it out, find their way over here, and tell us how they did it.I was one of the people that couldn't get to the new forums last night. It was very odd, since I had posted on the new forum earlier in the day using the same computer and internet connection.

Anyway, it looks like whatever was wrong last night has been fixed for me.

brinkett
11-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Maybe it is a matter of the DNS being updated somewhere. Maybe when I get home, it'll just work. One can hope! :)

Moondancer
11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Can you post the IP of the new site--perhaps if I type that in directly, I'll get here.

Not without permission from the owners of the site. It involves their username in the link with the IP. Sorry.

ChunkyC
11-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Maybe it is a matter of the DNS being updated somewhere. Maybe when I get home, it'll just work. One can hope! :)
There's every possibility that will be the case. Fingers crossed!

JamesC
11-23-2005, 03:32 AM
This is very simple ........ the problem is that the ISP has the domain name cached . alot of ISP do this some still have it set to change every 24-48 hours some even longer (this of course these days is bad business)

Vanessa
11-23-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi James, Good to see ya! Did you get some rest?

JamesC
11-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Hi James, Good to see ya! Did you get some rest?

Rest?? ..... :Wha: What is rest?? Moondancer works me 18 hours a day ... :scared: but she always makes sure I have plenty of coffee ...... :Coffee:

Oh also rememebr I am always around even when I aint logged in I am watching ...... lol:popcorn:

Moondancer
11-23-2005, 04:22 AM
Rest?? ..... :Wha: What is rest?? Moondancer works me 18 hours a day ... :scared: but she always makes sure I have plenty of coffee ...... :Coffee:

Oh also rememebr I am always around even when I aint logged in I am watching ...... lol:popcorn:

Hmmm... I thought it was the fringe benefits...

:idea: Maybe I should buy a bigger coffee pot instead....

Vanessa
11-23-2005, 04:26 AM

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteWha.gif uh-oh! I knew I felt someone watching us.....hey just don't tell about the party we had last night..shhhhhhhh.....

SeanDSchaffer
11-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Thank you all kindly for doing the change-over. The site runs much better than it did and I'm not screaming at the computer any more (at least until the next time my OS crashes on me.)

That other hosting company had the site running mighty slow; I've noticed the boards work much faster and more efficiently than they did before the change-over.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your time--and that of any others whose names I may have unknowingly omitted from the title line.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteThumbs.gif

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

jdkiggins
11-23-2005, 05:46 AM
Congrats and thanks for all the hard work Jenna, CC, JamesC, Moondancer and everyone else involved in getting the boards up and running.

It's great!

An early Happy Thanksgiving to all, in case I don't see you before.

live4today
11-24-2005, 01:20 AM
James & Jenna - thanks for making the changes to the Boards and getting them running smoothly! Mucho appreciated!

Happy Turkey Day all!

Denise