first day back at real writing

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
A minor accomplishment compared to everything else posted here, but it has been years since I've done it. The rejection process finally wore me down and it has been three years since I wrote fiction (poems were still coming now and again, but not fiction). I thought my writing days might be over for good, and I'd come to terms with that. But then the urge struck me again, a solid thump that made me move forward.

I've been researching and, as always, it really makes the ideas bubble up for me, so I have my first few half-scenes written, out of order, but they're there. I didn't know if I'd be able to do it, honestly, after so long a break, but it's just like falling off a bike. It's a relief.

I had forgotten this physical feeling after a day's hard writing work, the ache in my neck and the feeling I'm out of some important neurochemical. At times writing is fun, but it's always draining, too. For now, I welcome that feeling back.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know that "returning" feeling - I was away for years after real life got in the way. But isn't it lovely to be back?

Welcome back!! :Hug2:

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
So glad you found your way back.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the attagirls. :) Another good day today. I'm just about ready to cut off on-line distractions and dive in even more deeply

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Check out this month's Poets and Writers for an article about Sam Savage, who quit writing for five years before coming back and eventually publishing his first novel at 65.

Savage remarks about returning to writing, "I really do think art can save you in some sense....It's the only secular vehicle for transcendence we have. It's an immediate self-validating experience. It lifts you beyond your mortal clay."

Now, get back to work! :D

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I too let things wear me down. I didn't stop writing for years, but I did quit for many excruciating months after getting so fed up with the feeling that it was futile (it wasn't rejection from publishers, but the thought that nobody would ever want to read it) that I threw my unfinished manuscripts in the fireplace. So I get it. Back now, though, I think a day where the writing is problematic is better than a day without writing at all.

I wish you all the best.

mysterymantis

Registered
Reaction score
I too, took a long hiatus from writing. About a year, in which I was so very depressed that I didn't want to do anything at all. I'm back at it, but it just doesn't feel the same. I hope I can regain it like you have.

Never give up, because that's how they win.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the well-wishing!

I'm on the internet just one day before I go back to being without, and the novel is going well. Just under 25K since the first of the month, and I'm enjoying it. I forgot how much fun inventing and drafting was (revising sux, but I don't have to worry about that yet!) I like the characters, I like visiting the very different world every day, and I'm finding a good balance with writing just enough, not so much that I'm feeling drained every day.

I found that when the history of the rejection of my other novels popped up in my mind, it was easy to dismiss because I know that self-publishing on-line is possible now. I don't know a danged thing about it, but if I 1) finish this massive thing, 2) can't sell/get an agent yet again, it's no longer the tragedy it once once.

I appreciate the support, and thanks for mentioning that article, Phaeal.