Verdana font on query & pasted 1st chapter

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I accidentally sent a query where - when I copied the query & first chapter into the body of the email - Yahoo Mail converted the font from New Times Roman into Verdana. I didn't really notice it until after i sent it, but by then it was too late. Does anyone think a non-standard font would get a strike against me? Or are agents accustomed to weird stuff happening, especially when embedding copy-and-pasted first chapters, and I'm just suffering from query paranoia?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent is going to hold a mistake like that against you, you probably don't want to work with them, imo. Now if you had deliberately used Comic Sans...

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Well, that's what I'm hoping. On the other hand, it was an agent who liked my full from my first project well enough to offer some useful feedback, and I did mention that....so hopefully that'll be enough for him to look past any font quirkiness.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
One reason why you should always send a test e-mail to yourself before you sent to the agent.

That said, sans-serif fonts are way easier to read online than serif fonts (probably why your computer converted it), so if she's reading online you might have done her a favor. San-serif font, even business text, is very common online, so this--unless she set explicit, strict instructions--is not a deal breaker.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I'm sure it'll be okay. I changed my Yahoo Mail default font to TNR-12 to prevent this. You can do this in Mail Options. It's worth it if you continue to use Yahoo Mail while you query.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
thanks katiemac & erin....I feel better now. And, yep, I just noticed last night how you can change your font in yahoo mail. :)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
...Heh, I've totally been sending mine in sans serif font because the're emails. Figured it didn't matter as it's only 5-10 pages. Any partials etc are in TNR, though. I'll change it in the future.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
My Gmail always left my copy-pasted pages in Courier 12, but I never even thought to change the default serif font gmail uses for the body of the query letter itself. Never had a complaint. (I actually have my email default font set at Trebuchet now--I like to live on the edge--and no one has ever commented.) As long as it's clearly readable it's fine.

Don't worry about this, really. Even if the agent notices it, they know fonts can go awry in email. As Kathleen42 said, if they're going to get snitty over that, you probably don't want to deal with them anyway. (And yeah, if it had been sent in 16-point bright green Comic Sans or something it would be different.)

Good luck!

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The great thing about email is that if the font annoys you, copy and paste and change it.... I did this all the time in slush.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Don't think it's anything you need to worry about, but in the future, you can convert your e-mail to plain text. (In Yahoo, the option is right above the text box.) Solves the font issue right away, and several agents specifically request plain text.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all.....it's good to know that if he rejects me, it'll probably because of either my crappy writing and/or premise! :)

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry. Verdana is at least readable. Wingdings on the other hand...not so much.