PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Con 2011 (My first!)

amrose
08-31-2011, 12:58 AM
I've never been before. I'm excited...and also nervous. I've only ever been to small cons before and I know I'm going to be overwhelmed.

Is anyone else going this year or if you're not, but have been before, any good stories?

Silver King
08-31-2011, 04:12 AM
The Roundtable forum should be a better venue for this topic, so we'll move it there now from Office Party.

Hope you have a great time while attending the con.

amrose
08-31-2011, 04:57 AM
Woops! Sorry Silver, thanks for the whisk to a new forum and, thank you, I'm sure I'll have a good time.

Stacia Kane
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
I had to cancel this year because of the hurricane; I was flying standby anyway and with all the flight cancellations the lady at the airline basically told me I had a snowball's chance of getting on a flight. :(

I loooove Dragoncon. You're going to have a blast.

If you happen to go to any of these panels:

Title: Spotlight: Witches
Time: Fri 05:30 pm Location: Cairo - Hyatt (Length: 1)
Description: Explores the role of witches in fantasy literature.

Title: The Adventure Continues...
Time: Sat 08:30 pm Location: Cairo - Hyatt (Length: 1)
Description: Authors discuss creating and maintaining dark and urban fantasy series.

Title: Shadowed Streets
Time: Sun 07:00 pm Location: Cairo - Hyatt (Length: 1)
Description: Grit and grime in urban fantasy fiction.

Tell them all I'm just heartbroken I can't be there? I was supposed to be on those.
:(

Hmm, tips. Wear comfortable shoes (of course). Have cash with you, because the bars in the lobbies don't take cards. Ask people before you take their pictures. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to people, really; in general Dragoncon is really friendly, and people will help you out if you're lost or whatever.

It's a good idea to have something to drink, like a bottle of water or something, in your backpack, along with maybe a little snack or two just in case. There's a diner around the corner from the Hyatt that's open 24 hours (I believe) and is pretty decent. Make sure you have paper and pens for if you want someone to sign an autograph or whatever for you. They may well have pens of their own, but it's nice when they don't have to go digging.

I always make a separate list with my schedule (well, mine is on the back of my badge, but I write it down anyway) and whatever my friends are doing that I want to see, which is really helpful for me. So I think for things like that it's good to go through the program when you get it and make a list on a separate piece of paper what you want to attend, where and when it is. That way you don't have to keep hunting through that huge long program all the time. But that may be just me.

Hope that helps!

Kyla Laufreyson
08-31-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd just like to say that I am so freaking jealous, but I know that con is expensive as all hell and will probably never go. My Ultimate Goal in regards to cons is Anime Expo. One of these days, dangit.

Manuel Royal
09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Although I've lived in Atlanta since before there ever was a Dragon*Con, I've never been. The Sunday installment of my fiction column (http://smyrna.patch.com/columns/short-fiction) is going to be set there, but I'm too broke. I may take MARTA down and see the parade.

My local SCA group will be in the parade, and I should be joining them (at least to help pull the chariot); but that requires a Con membership.

However, a friend will be going, so I'm sure I'll hear all about it.

There's an SFWA regional meeting on Saturday (http://www.sfwa.org/2011/08/sfwa-regional-meeting-at-dragoncon/). I still don't qualify, but mark my words (Are you marking them? Mark them!), next year I'll be attending as a member.

Hope you have a great time, Amrose!

amrose
09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Stacia, that sucks that you have to miss :( I've got a lot of dark fantasy panels scheduled and Witches is one of them. Thank you for the tips.

Arianna, yeah it's a lot of cash. I couldn't have gone without a friend of mine helping with hotel and food. I've been trying to get my best friend to commit with me for one of the bigger anime cons, but have thus far been unsuccessful. I want to go see all the cosplay!

Manuel, you're words are marked :)

JinxVelox
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I hope that you have a fabulous time! Many of my friends attend it each year and they have fun.

Filigree
09-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm hoping to go someday when I have a professional reason to attend. I sent art there in 1995, and actually made a couple of sales. It sounds like an insanely-fun way to blow about two grand from my savings.