Status
Not open for further replies.

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
I'm currently self-publishing my first novel, and have it available for Kindle and Nook. Both sites make it pretty easy for an author to upload the ebook to sell, but I'm finding that Kobo is a little more difficult, especially when it comes to getting information.

I know there are services like Smashwords that will get your book on all the sites, but I'd rather not use them. kobo does have a portal for authors/publishers, and I've already requested the info and gotten the survey to fill out. I was hoping someone here has some experience with this process and could give me some advice. My main concern is ISBN. I can't see anywhere if Kobo provides one, or if they require one at all. I can't afford to buy one from Bowker right now, so if that's going to be required, then I might as well not bother moving forward, and find an alternate method for kobo users to buy the ePub file.

I already have my book formatted to ePub, so that's ready to go. I'm just confused about what they're going to want from me in order to get it listed and sold through them.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
If you post your story on Lulu.com, they'll give you a free ISBN...unfortunately, you have to use their limited cover art (unless you're willing to pay for a membership).

It would be a shame to lose that cover for your book. It's very good and definitely an attention-grabber.

AllisonK

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allisonkraft.com
If you post your story on Lulu.com, they'll give you a free ISBN...unfortunately, you have to use their limited cover art (unless you're willing to pay for a membership).

It would be a shame to lose that cover for your book. It's very good and definitely an attention-grabber.

Thanks, I would definitely not want to lose the cover. I designed it myself and spent a lot of time on it! :) Also, I already use CreateSpace for my POD, so I'm not really interested in going to Lulu. I looked into them when I was researching, and didn't care for what I read about them. At that time, I thought I could use them to get into the iBookstore, but it looked like it was too hard to use them for selective sites. Maybe I'll email Kobo today and ask about the ISBN issue.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest going through their process until you get to ISBN part. It'll tell you whether or not you need one and give you your options to purchase (assuming they do that) or input your own.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Indigo Kobo

I just read something from my publisher that Amazon won't list their books because they're a Canadian publisher and considered "foreign"! Dontcha love it?

Anyhow, she said their titles will be listed in Indigo Kobo "this Fall."

For the first time ever, I checked it out and it doesn't seem that bad at all. The only thing I don't see is a form of tagging to draw readers directly to one's book.

She also indicated that my book is downloadable to ANY e-reader, including desktops and laptops.

Now, I just have to find a better way of publicizing it!!!

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Until very recently, Kobo required Smashwords, so I'm not sure many people have been through the process, yet. I need to work through it myself.

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
Allison: If you're a Canadian resident, you can get an ISBN for free. It's basically just a form to fill so you can register your company (or "company") and then request the ISBNs as you need them. It looks very simple anyway.

Just tell me if you need the URL ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.